And boom goes the scooter dynamite. (TBM)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

For all you soon to be owners and current owners who want to say Y scooter is better than Z scooter.

http://tahoebenchmark.com/pdfs/2011/Bin ... 011v30.pdf
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Re: And boom goes the scooter dynamite. (TBM)

Post by fishb0y »

I've been looking forward to this coming out...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

This is like getting your pickup lifted or your el camino lowered...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

CaptnJack wrote:This is like getting your pickup lifted or your el camino lowered...
pretty much ;)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Wow, it looks like John's project has come a long way.. they didn't mention the magnetic coupling specifically or did I miss it?
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Geek wrote:Wow, it looks like John's project has come a long way.. they didn't mention the magnetic coupling specifically or did I miss it?
Only place i have read of a magnetic coupler is on the dive matrix. I think his website too but haven't been there in awhile. His scooter is incredibly efficient though, look at the wattage pull on cruise vs others. Could it be he thermal management on motor heat increases efficiency?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:
Geek wrote:Wow, it looks like John's project has come a long way.. they didn't mention the magnetic coupling specifically or did I miss it?
Only place i have read of a magnetic coupler is on the dive matrix. I think his website too but haven't been there in awhile. His scooter is incredibly efficient though, look at the wattage pull on cruise vs others. Could it be he thermal management on motor heat increases efficiency?
Its ~68V lowering the current draw to get those watts, which lowers heat production. Lower heat of conductors/wire in general does increase efficiency but within normal day to day type use ranges not by all that much ~10-15% ish.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Its ~68V lowering the current draw to get those watts, which lowers heat production. Lower heat of conductors/wire in general does increase efficiency but within normal day to day type use ranges not by all that much ~10-15% ish.
Yeah 15% seems to be the difference in the cuda and his motor. But 15% can mean a mile or so with a high wattage battery. I had forgotten higher voltage-lower amperage equaled cooler motor. How does he keeps his so light though? Lithium batteries? Besides the handle, I'm impressed by his engineering. His knowledge and experience from ROVs directly reflect his work.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Yeah, I thought the handle was kind of the hookie part of the system, seems like he could have engineered something better

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote:But 15% can mean a mile or so with a high wattage battery.
Yes but so what? Are you going to try and get him to make you one? Don't forget you'll get tired and have to swap out drivers to maintain this theoretical advantage long before you run out of battery.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
Yes but so what? Are you going to try and get him to make you one? Don't forget you'll get tired and have to swap out drivers to maintain this theoretical advantage long before you run out of battery.
Hey man, down here in Florida where we do 4 tank boat dives, we need all the battery power we can get. :taco:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

pensacoladiver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Hey man, down here in Florida where we do 4 tank boat dives, we need all the battery power we can get. :taco:
I :rjack: in your general direction
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
No I have my own rebuild in process that will be more than enough for a long day of diving. I'm just admiring his work, and the results(where it seemed it was total bs)

Oh and sometimes that extra mile can get you home instead of your buddy towing you back :P considering 1mile at 150fpm is 35 extra minutes of run time.
wcricple
Frequent Bubbler

Post by wcricple »

"No I have my own rebuild in process that will be more than enough for a long day of diving. "

Interested in what type of battery you are building?
Anyone using LIpo4 batteries?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

wcricple wrote:"No I have my own rebuild in process that will be more than enough for a long day of diving. "

Interested in what type of battery you are building?
Anyone using LIpo4 batteries?
There's a guy using lifepo4 batteries in a gavin. I'm using liion batteries, nothing too big, just 900 watts.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Dash? With high energy batteries? Soldering? *shudder*

Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Geek wrote:Dash? With high energy batteries? Soldering? *shudder*
i've already built and tested 2 li-ion battery packs :partydance: I'm running out of equipment to build new batteries for.
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

I've got LiFePO4 batteries in my Gavin. They've been fantastic so far.