Drysuit Glove System - Which is best?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

Alright, I'm looking at upgrading from wet gloves into some dry gloves and I'm sticking out my feelers to everyone on the board to get the opinions of other dry glove users as to the best systems out there.

I've seen the SI Tech Lock QCP System and the Northern Diver Dry Glove System, but have heard of others and am curious in finding out what most people deem "the best system'.

I've tried out the SI Tech Quick Glove system and while it works, I'm not sure the standard pressure cuff is for me.

So I put it to all of you, let's hear your thoughts. Which systems do you like and find the best?

- Kyle
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
json
Aquaphile

Re: Drysuit Glove System - Which is best?

Post by json »

I have a set of si tech quick locks and love them. They are secure and with the right under gloves they don an duff very easy.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

I also have them they are great. They are kinda big so if you do not have big hands i would go with smaller ones. SI teck make a different kind my friend has and he loves them.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I have the Si-Tech Quick Glove system and really like it. Several of my buddies do, too.

You're also going to hear a lot of rave reviews for the Viking bayonet system.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I have Si-Techs. They're easy and I've never had a problem with them. Never had any others though.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Good ol' Viking Rings with harbor freight Plumber gloves! :supz:

Been using them for years! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Post by archaeofish »

+1 for Viking Dry Glove Cuff Rings. They are fairly inexpensive, simple to install and they've kept me dry - I have no complaints.
Last edited by archaeofish on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I've got si tech rings built into my Fusion.

Only thing I dont like,is its a small/thin sealing ring, and very easy if you dont lube it (I used technical jelly, wax didnt work as well) to buckle a ring if you dont put them on really straight. Hard to do by yourself. I'm getting better at it though.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jeff Pack wrote:Only thing I dont like,is its a small/thin sealing ring, and very easy if you dont lube it (I used technical jelly, wax didnt work as well) to buckle a ring if you dont put them on really straight. Hard to do by yourself. I'm getting better at it though.
Though this has happened to me a few times over the years, I wouldn't really say it's a problem, nor would I say they are difficult to attach.

I use a drop of seal saver on my rings occasionally and that seems to work fine.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Spatman has my old Si Techs because I hated them. I have Viking Bayonets and love them.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I use the diving concepts system and really like them. The O-rings are big and robust and seal very well. I use the orange atlas gloves instead of the neoprene ones supplied because they hold up very well and are cheap to replace so I can keep an extra pair or two on hand for emergencies.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

:calvin:
Penopolypants wrote:Spatman has my old Si Techs because I hated them. I have Viking Bayonets and love them.

My reasons for preferring the Viking bayonet system are two-fold:

1) Simplicity - attach the rings to your seals, and voila, you're done. No seals, no snapping anything in place, no o-rings to concern yourself with, no moving parts at all, just a pair of gloves that you pull over the rings.

2) Price and Flexibility - a pair of harbor freight sandblasting gloves for $6 is all you need. A used pair of the Viking rings can be had for $40 (brand new are 70 or 80 IIRC). I've heard of people using dishwashing gloves in a pinch when they were on a trip and could find nothing else. Because you can use many different gloves you have great flexibility in your insulation choices - a simple rag wool inner glove works fine, but you can do what you want depending on temperature and tolerance. As a photog I have lots of flexibility that way. I love that I don't have to go back to a manufacturer and purchase specific gloves for my system.

Of course it all boils down to personal preference. Ask to look at and fondle different systems at the club dive and you'll get an idea of what works best for you.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

+5000 on the Viking Bayonet rings. I use them with $4 pvc gloves from the fishery supply store (thicker and smaller than the harbor freight sand blasting gloves). They are easy to don and doff, never leak, can be used with or without wrist seals and are super durable.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Regarding the Viking dry gloves, there are 2 types. Type #1 is the Dry Glove Cuff Ring and type #2 is the Viking Bayonet Ring system. http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_ ... gloves.htm Tom, you have the Cuff Rings not the Bayonet Ring. I dive the Bayonet Ring and HATE THEM! If I were to buy the Viking system again, it would definitely be the Cuff Rings.
Life is good, let's dive!!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

As DiverBob said, there are two different Viking ring systems - the simple ring and the bayonet - and they are extremely different from each other.

I dive with the simple Viking ring system - it's easy to install and there is a huge number of different rubber gloves that you can use with it. It's cheap, simple and extremely effective. My favorite glove style to use with the Viking rings are the "Marigolds" that you can find in marine supply stores, especially up in BC but also in Seattle.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I LOVE the Viking bayonet rings, and wonder why anyone would not like them? They're a positive lock system, designed for hazmat diving. They don't leak and can't pop off. They can be installed and uninstalled in minutes, without tools, and it's trivial to change gloves if you get a hole in one.

I'm now using the SiTech QuickGlove system, and I don't like it at all. Too easy to crimp the o-ring putting the gloves on, and then they leak. And if you're night diving, you can't even see the o-ring to know if you've done it, until your hands are wet.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

DiverBob wrote:Regarding the Viking dry gloves, there are 2 types. Type #1 is the Dry Glove Cuff Ring and type #2 is the Viking Bayonet Ring system. http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_ ... gloves.htm Tom, you have the Cuff Rings not the Bayonet Ring. I dive the Bayonet Ring and HATE THEM! If I were to buy the Viking system again, it would definitely be the Cuff Rings.
Oopsie... :tomnic:

Thanks for clarifying this Bob! I bought my cuff rings used, thus my lack of familiarity with other Viking products and their proper name. Much appreciated! :notworthy:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I'm suprised to hear anyone say they don't like the Viking Bayonet System. I'm not sure what you don't like about them, but I'd be interested to hear DiverBob. I have not used the cuff rings, only the bayonet system.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I have the sitech quick system and I LOVE THEM!!! I finally broke and ditched my DIY glove system and went to Seattle UWS last friday and they have them for $129 which is cheaper than ANY online price I have seen. Get to scootin' and pick up a set!! (I think there is only a couple pair left) as spaty said, use a drop or two of seal saver and you're good to go!
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

trevorrowe wrote:I'm suprised to hear anyone say they don't like the Viking Bayonet System. I'm not sure what you don't like about them, but I'd be interested to hear DiverBob. I have not used the cuff rings, only the bayonet system.
I have been unable to get the dang things to lock consistently. Yes, I make sure the O-rings are in the proper position, cleaned and lightly lubed. Then I watch Tom and Keith put on their gloves while I'm still screwing around trying to get my gloves to lock. Actually I don't watch Tom and Keith put on their gloves, because there is nothing to watch!! I can't tell you how many times I have told my buddies that I will meet them at the water because I'm still still sitting on my vehicles tailgate fighting my gloves! I would never buy the Bayonet system again, ever! Ya I'm sure it's just me, but that is my experience. Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

There are two orings you can use for the bayonet. It sounds like you might have the thicker hazmat orings. I would suggest going down a bit in the thickness (my set came with both thicknesses). I tried the tricker oring a few times and had trouble myself.
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

This is all very interesting, and I'm actually curious as to why I haven't heard anyone mention the Northern Diver rings. Anyone have anything good to say about these?
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

Sadly, from what I gather, northern divers went out of business. I was searching for them before I found my sitech system.
finnegankp wrote:This is all very interesting, and I'm actually curious as to why I haven't heard anyone mention the Northern Diver rings. Anyone have anything good to say about these?
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

SeanKylgod wrote:Sadly, from what I gather, northern divers went out of business. I was searching for them before I found my sitech system.
finnegankp wrote:This is all very interesting, and I'm actually curious as to why I haven't heard anyone mention the Northern Diver rings. Anyone have anything good to say about these?
If you have meat hooks for hands you can't beat the SiTech XL system.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

Yuppp. That's what I have now with the atlas 660's with the liners.. 440's? I love 'em
cardiver wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:Sadly, from what I gather, northern divers went out of business. I was searching for them before I found my sitech system.
If you have meat hooks for hands you can't beat the SiTech XL system.......