Which drysuit?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jared
Frequent Bubbler

Which drysuit?

Post by Jared »

Ok, so ive decided im going to need a drysuit a lot sooner than first anticipated. Thought I could just tough it out. WRONG. I know there is a lot of difference of opinion on this subject and its probably already been discussed on this forum. I feel like looking through hundereds of pages of stuff. So, neoprene, not neoprene, front entry or rear entry? Just tell me what you guys know from your own expierence even if it conflicts with what someone else wrote. Then I will try to make a good decision. $1500 range.
json
Aquaphile

Re: Which drysuit?

Post by json »

In my opinion it depends on what kind of diving you want to do. Each type has its pros and cons. I am a fan of compressed neoprene for its durability and insulation factor. I also tend to keep the smallest amount of air in my suit/just enough to keep the squeeze off and to stay warm. I dive a dry suit in a non padi way using my bp/w for buoyancy and not my suit. The cons to my suit are it takes entirely to long to dry and it's heavy and takes up too much space for traveling with it. Shell suits have their pros and cons too, same with all neoprene. Best thing to do is find a good instructor for a drysuit class, and rent/dive different types of suit prior to making the investment. They are few shops up here that will rent suits or demo them if they might make a sale.
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Your budget is going to severly limit your options. Not that its bad, just that all the talk about what is best may be irrelevant since there are only a few suits in the $1500 range to chose from.

Backzips are cheaper than front zip but less convenient.
Thigh pockets are great but cost more.
Neoprene (uncrushed) suits are cheaper than shell or crushed neoprene. Neoprene does change bouyancy just like your wetsuit though and provides less insulation at depth and doesn't last as long as most shells (300 dives vs 500+)
Shell suits are only a smidge more than neoprene, don't change buoyancy but require a decent undergarment unlike just wearing budget fleece or sweats under a neo suit. So net most cost more.

In your price range you are probably looking at a neoprene suit with latex neck + wrist seals, no pockets, no dry gloves, back zip. fleece pants and top from REI underneath. For $1500 including tax. Bare has some is this $ range. You will be warmer but do run the risk of ungrowing it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Which drysuit?

Post by spatman »

USIA makes great suits within that price range.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I love my Whites Fusion, but out of your price range. Such an easy suit to dive. Class? Feh, put it on, burp it, and dive it.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Like all dive gear, there is no perfect dry suit. Every choice has positives and negatives.

Right now, the ScubaPro EveryDry neoprene dry suit is a very good value for the money. They retail at about $1000 for the suit and undergarment. The pluses: Neoprene is WARM, and the suit is cheap. The negatives: Neoprene has buoyancy considerations and loses insulation at depth, and also has a finite number of compression/rebound cycles. The suit is back zip, which almost obligates you to a buddy's assistance in getting in and out of it -- of course, we all dive with buddies (right?) but what if yours is for some reason incapacitated and can't help you unzip? Neoprene wrist seals limit the options for dry gloves, and neoprene neck seals don't work as well for women. The suit is still a good value for the money.

Laminate suits are lighter and dry faster than neoprene. They have no intrinsic insulating capacity, and are dependent on the undergarments for warmth. (This is a good thing if you travel and dive in water at a variety of temperatures.) They don't have compression/expansion issues like neoprene, but they also don't stretch. This means the suit has to be cut within a fairly narrow set of parameters, to allow enough mobility for comfort and safety, and still not have big areas of suit ballooning and trapping air. Laminate basically comes in bilam and trilam; trilam is more durable, but more expensive.

Compressed neoprene suits, like the Bare CD2 and the DUI CF200, are heavy and dry slowly, but they are nearly bulletproof as far as durability goes. They have no intrinsic buoyancy, but do have some insulating capacity, although they're primarily dependent on the undergarments. They're expensive.

There are a few suits that don't fit in the above categories. The Bare stretch suit is an odd one, and I don't know anyone who owns one. The material is stretchy and reportedly breathable, limiting the amount of condensation and sweatiness in the suit on land. It's a front entry, and therefore closer to self-donning, but has only one on-seam pocket on the left, and really no option to put another pocket on easily. I haven't heard anything about how durable they are, but they're out of your price range, anyway. So is the Whites Fusion, which is another different suit, with an inner bag and outer, stretch layer that compresses the bag.

In the $1000 range, you're looking at the EveryDry, perhaps one of the low end USIA suits, possibly the Bare trilam, or a used suit. Don't be afraid of used suits, although you need to do due diligence on them. If the seals need replacing, that's neither a difficult nor an expensive repair. As long as the suit material is intact (not delaminating) and the zipper is OK, a used suit can be a very good value.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Which drysuit?

Post by cardiver »

Look at the Bare NexGen for under a grand. I've had mine for ten years and it's still going strong.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I bought my first drysuit a Whites shell suit(rear entry) on craigslist for $450 and it is a bit long in the legs but has served my very well for 4 years. I have had no issues with it and have only replaced the seals a few times.

I have(had) purchased a Bare SB ( front entry), but that is quite a bit above $1500, but I love the suit (when I have it/Long Story) :BDub: I will say this IF and when you get measured for a custom suit I would say measure twice. Bare has been very great with their customer service. They have taken great care and stand behind their suits. I will be getting a new Bare SB suit the first week of March. The reason why I say measure twice is that the first suit I got was a XXL short and we now know I should have been in a XXL Regular with some length taken out of the legs. I am 5'10" but my inseams are only 29" so my torso is longer. The Bare SB is very comfortable to wear and I am a girth challenged person who needs that flexibility of this suit to don and doff my fins. :boxer:

Just my .02
Jeff Castor
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

I tried on numerous suits before I decided on the Bare Tech Dry / HD Tri Lam. My reasoning was the light weight of the suit and availability to use more or less undergarments for climate control. Fast drying and durability of the suit, and BARE'S lifetime warranty on seams. Only 150 dives on it and it looks like new. Luv the Neoprene/ latex neck seal and very easy to don / doff solo.

My son recently purchased a NEW Custom Fit BARE Tech Dry, Tri Lam Shell , Front Entry, Pee Zipper, One Thigh Pocket installed and dry gloves for under 1500.00 With the new BARE T-Zip. ( its not the same as the HD/ Tech dry but very close )

If you decide on a Shell Suit over a Neoprene that is. And its from a LDS near you.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

cardiver wrote:Look at the Bare NexGen for under a grand. I've had mine for ten years and it's still going strong.
Got my Bare NexGen brand new for 600.00 and it is a workhorse!!! No problems at all and Ive done all the latex repairs (wrist seals, Neckseals), really a decent suit. The newer zipper, a bungee chord and a little ingenuity, and you are zippin yourself.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Do a search for dry suit on Craigslist and also on Scubaboard. I bought my Apollo dry suit on CL for $400 and it was like new. I now have over 100 dives on it and have had no issues with it. Still have the original seals.
Life is good, let's dive!!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I agree with Bob. For $1,500 I'd probably be looking at low-mileage used high-end suits rather than low-end new.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey