New divers, What gear are you looking for? - NHZ PLEASE!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Post here, if you would like to buy or be given a piece of used gear...
Tell us what your looking for :smt064
Tanks, Weights, fins, Mask, dry Suit? ect,ect...
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: New diver's, What gear are you looking for?

Post by defied »

+1
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Nice spin-off from the PIF thread.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

A small pony to just use when rinsing/dunking my regs. I bought a 30 to use, but a smaller bottle would be nice, 19f would be perfect.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I am adding NHZ (No Hijack Zone) to the title of this thread. As much as I love our hi-jacks, hi-jinks, and silly jokes this thread won't work if it goes down that route.

Thanks everyone! :notworthy:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Re: New diver's, What gear are you looking for? - NHZ PLEASE

Post by Diver_Dave »

BASSMAN wrote:Post here, if you would like to buy or be given a piece of used gear...
Tell us what your looking for :smt064
Tanks, Weights, fins, Mask, dry Suit? ect,ect...

I got a few things I could get rid of..... :burntchef: :rawlings: :rawlings:
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
spatman
I've Got Gills

New diver's, What gear are you looking for? - NHZ PLEASE!

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:I am adding NHZ (No Hijack Zone) to the title of this thread. As much as I love our hi-jacks, hi-jinks, and silly jokes this thread won't work if it goes down that route.

Thanks everyone! :notworthy:
I also think a clear description of the intent of this thread would be beneficial - that it's for new divers who are getting their kit together so they can get experience diving, not for established divers to ask for freebies. Separate threads can be started for those requests.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Note:

The op stated free or buy...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by AquaticEngineer »

If anyone has some used fins they want to part with I'd love some. I cant decide what to buy because right now I am snorkeling, I'd like to start free diving , and this summer I am going to get my scuba training.

Weights would be sweet if anyone has some to part with, especially if I want to do anything other than float on the surface and snorkel.

Mask and snorkel? (I'm borrowing one right now)

I just picked up an Underwater Kinetics 1200 light on craigslist the other day for $10 :) But if anyone has a goggle mounted or hand strap type light I could use those.

Maybe a dive knife?

I really dont know everything I will need for diving, these are just the things I can think of that I could use now that will cross over to full diving. I figure once I go through classes I will know better all the specific equipment.

I will totally pay some coin for this stuff, I'd just like to get it from people who know whats good and what isn't as opposed to spending lots of money at a dive shop, or on Amazon to learn the hard way.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jeff Pack wrote:Note:

The op stated free or buy...
Ok, if you want to argue semantics, yes, free or buy. My point is that this thread should be for new divers trying to acquire gear that will get them in the water and dive more. Not you wanting a small tank so you can rinse/dunk your regs with ease.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

AquaticEngineer wrote:If anyone has some used fins they want to part with I'd love some. I cant decide what to buy because right now I am snorkeling, I'd like to start free diving , and this summer I am going to get my scuba training.

Weights would be sweet if anyone has some to part with, especially if I want to do anything other than float on the surface and snorkel.

Mask and snorkel? (I'm borrowing one right now)

I just picked up an Underwater Kinetics 1200 light on craigslist the other day for $10 :) But if anyone has a goggle mounted or hand strap type light I could use those.

Maybe a dive knife?

I really dont know everything I will need for diving, these are just the things I can think of that I could use now that will cross over to full diving. I figure once I go through classes I will know better all the specific equipment.

I will totally pay some coin for this stuff, I'd just like to get it from people who know whats good and what isn't as opposed to spending lots of money at a dive shop, or on Amazon to learn the hard way.
What size fins you looking for?

I have a dive knife I'd sell ya for $5 ... I'd give it away except it ain't mine, but the person who owned it would happily take $5 for it.

Reply here, or drop me a PM ... if I can help ya out, I'd be happy to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I think this is a awesome thread idea. I know I spent a SHIT TON of money on stuff when I took my class for the basics you need for the class (Mask, fins, snorkel,gloves, booties) and now know I really could of not spent all that money and got everything I needed for less then $100. I now tell all my friends that they are lucky that they have a friend who is in the know now for when they want to take classes as they could either A: borrow some of my gear, or B: just take my advice and find some used gear for pretty cheap and save alot of money. Because in the end you dont even know if this is really gonna be for you till you get a few dives in and its a shame to have to waste all that cash in the tuff economic times we are in.

As far as gear I am currently pretty good on gear, I was able to get everything I need to get out in the water and dive so i am not really in "NEED" of anything, thanks to CL and alot of great guys on this board who have HOOKED A BRUTHA UP!!!! I just got my can light from H20Doctor and man this thing is sweeeeeeeeeettttt! FULL REVIEW/PICS COMING SOON! I also just picked up a pony bottle from another guy on the board (yes i think this is the one you were after jeff lol) but I need a 1st stage and reg for it still to be fully functional as it was just the bottle and DIN valve. So if anyone gots a good setup at a reasonable price one let me know! And yes now I am finally at the point where I can start to upgrade and pick up the little extras one by one to get my gear to optimal performance! I just wish I woulda had friends and dive buddies like all you guys when i just started out last year, would of made my space of time between my certification and actually being able to dive alot shorter then it was lol... but I am happy I am am able to go diving now when I want to!

Also I am looking for a pair of steel tanks... probably 100's... I would luke them to be identical as well if possible.

I also have 2 AL80 tanks I am looking to part with, these babies are basically brand new for the most part and I just got them all there VIP and Hydro as well. looking for 250 OBO for the pair. Going to take that cash and put it towards my Steelies!
Last edited by scubnewb on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by AquaticEngineer »

Grateful Diver wrote:
What size fins you looking for?

I have a dive knife I'd sell ya for $5 ... I'd give it away except it ain't mine, but the person who owned it would happily take $5 for it.

Reply here, or drop me a PM ... if I can help ya out, I'd be happy to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Re: New divers, What gear are you looking for? - NHZ PLEASE!

Post by mcloed121 »

i'm looking for a octo
Anthony
brownc9
Just Settling In

Post by brownc9 »

Steel 100-120 with a DIN would be on my wishlist. Also in need of a SPG.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

mcloed121 wrote:i'm looking for a octo
I've got a Tusa 2nd stage you can have...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
amnesia
Just Settling In

Post by amnesia »

Well, I'm looking for a BCD (Mens medium/large), weight belt, regs, octo, tank (80 Al or preferably Steel 100), dive computer, and possibly a 7mm wetsuit (Mens Large).

I know that I'm not looking to spend much on the wetsuit, as I'll only be using it short term until I get drysuit training.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

amnesia wrote:Well, I'm looking for a BCD (Mens medium/large), weight belt, regs, octo, tank (80 Al or preferably Steel 100), dive computer, and possibly a 7mm wetsuit (Mens Large).

I know that I'm not looking to spend much on the wetsuit, as I'll only be using it short term until I get drysuit training.
I have a wetsuit for you that you can have really cheap.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

amnesia wrote:Well, I'm looking for a BCD (Mens medium/large), weight belt, regs, octo, tank (80 Al or preferably Steel 100), dive computer, and possibly a 7mm wetsuit (Mens Large).

I just ordered a new BP/wing so I will be selling my Zeagle Ranger for around $375.

I'm also selling my BioFins ($100)

And some lights.
amnesia
Just Settling In

Post by amnesia »

Jeremy wrote:

I just ordered a new BP/wing so I will be selling my Zeagle Ranger for around $375.

And some lights.
How does the RAnger compare to the 911?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I really couldn't say. I've only dove Rangers. :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

amnesia wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

And some lights.
How does the RAnger compare to the 911?
The 911 is huge @ 65lbs of lift. Compared with the ranger which is a more modest 44lbs.

Both are larger than need be for single tank diving. Heck I don't even used 65lbs with double 108s, 2x al40s and an al80 stage. Having a huge bag on your back just gives the gas in it more opportunity to slosh around and/or makes it harder to vent it. I would suggest no more lift than about 40lbs MAX would be wise. Lots of manufacturers make BCs or wings in the 30 to 40lbs range which work well for single tank Puget Sound diving or if you end up in someplace like Cozumel too.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Speaking of computers, think I'm going to be selling my Oceanic Pro Plus II as well.
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

I have a Bare Nex Gen Dry suit, newer seals and zipper, XL size 11 neoprene socks, I'll throw in the beat up rock boots. Also have a Dive Rite Trans pac I'm willing to part with. Hoods, gearbags, masks, snorkels, fins and alot more. Let me know what you are looking for. In Tacoma.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence.
There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
-Jules Verne. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I need a wetsuit or a drysuit for my stepson who is taking OW in the next week or two.

He's about 155 lbs and is 5'9".

Anybody got anything?