MY SUPER SCHWEEET CAN LIGHT BY THE H20DOCTOR!!!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

So I was lucky enough to talk the one and only mad genius H20DOCTOR into hooking me up with a custom Can Light... And man the Can Light Crack is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDD! :partydance: :partydance: :partydance: :partydance:

This thing is so sweet, so far everyone who has seen it both diver or non diver has said man that thing is friggen awesome man! From the obvious quality of the craftmans ship to the super dope custom paint job the Doc hooked up I have no complains. Working with the doc was great as well. i didnt really know alot about Can Lights when i contacted him, I just knew I wanted one after using my shitty little SL4 and Q40 for awhile and then having the chance to use NWBREWERS can light on a dive up north... I was like WOWZERZ I LIKE THIS!!!!

So after a few educational email and conversations we gauged all of my needs and he came up with a great plan for my Can Light that he thought would fit me just right!!! All I can say is he must of been a mind reader in a past life as its just how I imagined it.

The thing is super heavy duty and high quality and if you didnt know it was a DYI project you may never know. everything was put together well and when you take a close look you can tell that he took care and time in making it and did not rush anything... Multiple seals both to be lubed and not to be lubed, and the battery pack in this thing isnt a joke, you can easily get three dives out of it before it crashing out I would think.

The handle is cut just right and perfect sized for my hands and if I need to bonk a angry six gill on the nose I think this will do the job as it is SPD (Seattle Police Department) quality and those things hurt when they hit you with them, not that i would eeeeevvvver know what that was like :smt051 :smt051 :smt051

The battery charger that came with it is simple and works very well, I charged it fully and when the green light came on took the battery off and it didnt seem like it took as long as I would have thought to charge. a Extra bonus is the charger came with a second port for charging and i think if I wanted I could ad a second line so i can ustilize the charger for other battery packs as well as it has a switch to change the amperage as well for charging different batteries ***BONUS*** :neener: The hidges on this thing look like something you would use to lock a ape in a cage with, really nice and heavy duty.

And to top it off the DOCTOR was even nice enough to drop it off at my lace in Seattle when he lives up north somewheres aways away as he knew I had recently sold my truck, and he gave me a full tutorial about the do and donts of the light!!!!

All In All..... I am exrtremely please with the product and his knowledge... not to mention how easy he was to work with....

Oh and now I know all the rules to Light Club, and the first rule about light club... is we dont talk about light club... :taco:

I COULD NOT OF DONE THIS ON MY OWN AND IM F*%KING STOKED!!!!

Pic Below... & Here is the Gallery Link as well: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/12022760 ... t?h=07225e

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
coulterboy
Amphibian

Re: MY SUPER SCHWEEET CAN LIGHT BY THE H20DOCTOR!!!

Post by coulterboy »

Aren't you glad I got you blinded in my garage Phil? Also, kudos to Jake (Nwbrewer) for letting you use his can light when we did that dive at the Muk awhile ago.

Ohhhhhh! The joy of talking about "can lights" on this board. Nothing like it.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I remember my first taste of can light crack -- Bob Bailey fed me the stuff, and wasn't even ashamed about it!

Be careful about deep cycling the battery, though. They don't like it, and you will shorten the battery life by doing it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yeah your light was the most ridiculous thing I ever had seen for a "flash light" lol... I remeber thinking, why is this guy so crazy about this bright ass flash light and also thinking, man i would never drop that much cash on a flash light... Then i realized whoa this isnt a flsh light at all when i used jakes... And then the gates opened, the seas parted, and the can light gods said let there be light haha... :funky:

When I showed it to my friend pierre I think he had the same dumbfounded and confused look I probably had when you showed me yours cuz he just didnt get it lol...
coulterboy wrote:Aren't you glad I got you blinded in my garage Phil? Also, kudos to Jake (Nwbrewer) for letting you use his can light when we did that dive at the Muk awhile ago.

Ohhhhhh! The joy of talking about "can lights" on this board. Nothing like it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

That is badass. Like the paint job.
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

How many lumens is your can light???
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Around.. 900 ;) But the optics push the beam into a tight spot, with long throw
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Props to you Doc---that's a great looking light!
:supz:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Ummmm yeah what he said lol...
H20doctor wrote:Around.. 900 ;) But the optics push the beam into a tight spot, with long throw
-Confucius
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Doc, what is/are the emitters? Looks like three aspheric?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Um.. There are no asphreics.. ? Just a tripple combo lens with fries..
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Novice wrote:Doc, what is/are the emitters? Looks like three aspheric?
Three TIR optics. Aspherics are different.

Nice looking light Chris!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by AquaticEngineer »

Are those 3watt Cree LEDs?

I was looking into modding the UK1200 I just picked up for $10 into a high output LED setup. Any suggestions?

I built a 50w LED spotlight that puts out PAR equivalent of a 250w metal halide for one of my coldwater aquariums. I was thinking about modifying the fixture to be housed in a waterproof flashlight housing but have been going back and forth between a single 50w emitter vs mutliple 3w crees.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

From what I have seen so far the single hi wattage emitters don't give a very focused beam the multi emitters seem to focus better. I know this is contrary to common thinking but I think it has something to do with the size of the led chip it's self and trying to find a reflector that can focus it.

Just my 2 psi
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Single leds work fine.. You just need the right lens, or optics.. Or aspheric.. I have a sst 50 chip that throws like a beast in a alum reflector.. 1200 lumens.. Its nice..
AquaticEngineer
Frequent Bubbler

Post by AquaticEngineer »

Dusty2 wrote:From what I have seen so far the single hi wattage emitters don't give a very focused beam the multi emitters seem to focus better. I know this is contrary to common thinking but I think it has something to do with the size of the led chip it's self and trying to find a reflector that can focus it.

Just my 2 psi
The best results I got with the 50w emitter was with a 15 degree optic or smaller on it.

With the 10 degree optic I could get a light foot of 5ft at 30ft away from the light.

For the lights over my tanks I used a 60 degree optic that gives me a 1ft light footprint at for every 1ft away from the emitter.

My biggest problem thus far has been dissipating heat, I use CPU heatsinks and fan combos. But going into the water I was going to try an aluminum housing that would dissipate the heat into the surrounding water.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

:threadjacked: LOL.... I am going out tonight to finally get the light in the water... last night I forgot my weights at the front door when I left teh house :violent1: and ended up sitting topside at the fish and chips place drinking beers at the bar while my dive buddy I came with dove lol :mmmbeer: :banghead:
-Confucius
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

scubnewb wrote::threadjacked: LOL.... I am going out tonight to finally get the light in the water... last night I forgot my weights at the front door when I left teh house :violent1: and ended up sitting topside at the fish and chips place drinking beers at the bar while my dive buddy I came with dove lol :mmmbeer: :banghead:

Please bring us some beam shots....

H2O doc: do you have a standard set of specs for lights and new battery packs?? Let me know so I can pass it along to the people on the dive team. Used your light at the last drill and it made a good impression. :notworthy:
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
mcloed121
Aquanaut

Post by mcloed121 »

h2odoc did a great job on mine too love very bright doc rocks great work got to use it last night at cove2 love it thanks
Anthony
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I want to dive with one of you guys soon and compare your light with my Dusty light. I remember coulterboy's light being extremely bright. But at cove 2 a few nights ago I felt like a type O supergiant among white dwarfs with my light.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

sitkadiver wrote:
scubnewb wrote::threadjacked: LOL.... I am going out tonight to finally get the light in the water... last night I forgot my weights at the front door when I left teh house :violent1: and ended up sitting topside at the fish and chips place drinking beers at the bar while my dive buddy I came with dove lol :mmmbeer: :banghead:

Please bring us some beam shots....

H2O doc: do you have a standard set of specs for lights and new battery packs?? Let me know so I can pass it along to the people on the dive team. Used your light at the last drill and it made a good impression. :notworthy:
I never build the same light twice.. Each light is built to the divers specs and needs.. Thats what seperates me from lightmonkey, and dive right.. There built by hand, the old fashion way.. Juan valdez .. And his coffee
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I had a H20doc light, once apon a time... :bored: :-({|=
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: