Dive shop recommendation please

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

I am in the unsatisfactory position of having no dive shop open within about a 400 mile radius of home. So I am hoping that you folks can help with a recommendation based on quality of work, price, and customer service.
What I need to have done is a new latex neck seal installed in my DUI cf200. I would like to have the heavy duty one installed. I have a second DS so I can wait for the mail time as long as the shop is up for a quick turnaround.

I also use an air 2 so I that I would like to have serviced. There is not a scuba pro service shop open in Alaska, so I think I will end up buying a second air 2 and sending in the old one for service because with everyone’s gear I have 3 of them that will be needing service and that will keep everyone diving while we wait for service.

So who would be your go to shop. Contact names and phone numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the benefit of your local knowledge
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive shop recommendation please

Post by Joshua Smith »

Call Ron at Adventures Down Under in Bellingham, WA. 360-676-4177.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Why not send your suit back to DUI and have zip seals installed? Then you can pop in a spare at your convenience.

For the reg/Air2 I would use Don Peterson in Port Angeles, WA. He does tons of regs by mail from all over with decent turnaround time. http://www.divetechinc.com/6.html
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I don't think Don's in Port Angeles anymore ... didn't he just open a shop in Port Townsend?

The link's probably still right, though ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

For your regulator service call Don Peterson at 360-385-3483. Don has his own dive store now in Port Townsend called Octopus Gardens Diving. He is the best tech around. I got a chance to tour the new shop and it is great.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Thanks for the replies I have an email into Don already. Can people give me feed back on a zip neck seal. I have never used one so your opinions would be appreciated.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I found the neck ring to be a bit uncomfortable on my shoulders, but not so much that it was a deal breaker. The seals are easy to change. Given the time and expense of shipping from your area it would probably be a great investment.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tacoma Scuba does an excellent job of neck and wrist seals and they are quick. He did mine while I waited. and + a bunch for Don for service. Especially Scuba Pro. He is a 5 star service center for Scuba Pro.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on Don Peterson..

And for drysuit, Ive used "Superior Drysuit Repair" in MN.. http://www.drysuitrepair.com

great service and decent pricing, my turn around was about 3 weeks for leak repairs, zipper replacement and turbo sole installation..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

I'ma big fan of the zip seals. makes for easy repairs in a pinch and I honestly don't notice the difference between a regular and the zip seals. I think it's all going to be based on your neck and shoulder base. If you've got broad shoulders then you'll likely never even realize you've got a zip seal on. I've had to swap one out between dives and was able to do it without even having to doff my suit. And got to hit the water on dive 2.

That's my 2 cents.
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Where are you now? There are three dive shops in Anchorage. At least one of which is a Sucubapro dealer. I also think one is a DUI dealer but I don't know about that shop's repair capability.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

I am in Sitka and would fly ( air miles) up to anchorage to have the work done while I played with my grandson however I have called all three shops and it is no joy in ANC. One scuba pro shop just picked the line up and won't be tech certified until may and the other shop was willing to take the work in but they then send it out and it takes three weeks and I thought that " i could do that " so that's why I came to the well for information

So the word is call Don for regs and that is what I'm doing

Now zip seals or normal is the question ?

I'm a big guy so if that makes a difference on fit for zip seals. If I go zip is it back to DUI or I'd there a " local shop" for that?

More input on zips would be appreciated
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Alaska-Herb wrote:I am in Sitka and would fly ( air miles) up to anchorage to have the work done while I played with my grandson however I have called all three shops and it is no joy in ANC. One scuba pro shop just picked the line up and won't be tech certified until may and the other shop was willing to take the work in but they then send it out and it takes three weeks and I thought that " i could do that " so that's why I came to the well for information

So the word is call Don for regs and that is what I'm doing

Now zip seals or normal is the question ?

I'm a big guy so if that makes a difference on fit for zip seals. If I go zip is it back to DUI or I'd there a " local shop" for that?

I know I should have remembered where you are. Sorry. Yeah, you are better off in Seattle area.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Alaska-Herb wrote: I'm a big guy so if that makes a difference on fit for zip seals. If I go zip is it back to DUI or I'd there a " local shop" for that?

Yeah its back to DUI for those. I just got some myself but haven't used them so can't really offer much on whether you'll like them. But considering the hassles and remoteness I would think ordering a new seal via the mail and having it on hand to self install would be way easier than shipping your suit every year or so.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

If you don't want to learn to glue on your own latex seals (given the popularity of neo. seals I saw in Nov. you might not have good mentors to teach you) then sending your suit out for the installation of a swap your own seal solution seems to be a given. You might want to consider the Si Tech NeckTite ring so you don't have to purchase seals from DUI, you could use any seal you want including silicone seals, and could switch to a dry hood too. I suspect you would find the NeckTite system cheaper in the long run compared to buying replacement zip seals.

There really isn't anything high tech about dry suits and regulators. Given your situation you might think about working your way towards DIY solutions as much as possible.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

One problem I had in trying on the zip seal version of the neck seal is that I had a hard time fitting my head thru the opening I know that I am a fat head but there were also others that tried it on and had problems. I don't know if you have tried to put your head thru a zip seal but they run on the small side. Another issue that a buddy of mine has is that the seal extends across the top of his shoulder and causes some issues with his backplate webbing. Neck seals are relatively easy to change out and I know that Airspeed press has an excellent book on exposure suit repair.

Mike
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Given the price of replacement zip seal parts and the cost for the tools to do you own seals and how easy it really is. I would stay with regular latex and get your group over there to invest the $100 or less for the parts/tools.

Having been a DUI dealer, I never saw the value in zip seals even at wholesale pricing . They are just too expensive. The dry gloves are what $165 for a $5.00 pair of gloves with the ring glued on them. I just could never stomach selling them to someone knowing that.

If you guys are really hurting to get seals done, I would imagine that I could get my wife to give you a lesson on it if you had someone come over to Juneau. She did all our suit repairs in the shop for nearly 10 years so she is darn good at it.

As far as Scubapro goes, Phil has still got the doors open in my old shop for the time being. He is trying to buy the place and has said that if the sale doesn't go through he will probably be opening a new store. He is a good tech and is Scubapro and Aqualung certified. Last time I was in there He was buried with like 25 tanks to vis/hydro and a bunch of regs to service but I would think that it's calmed down now that crab season is closed.
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lots of people are using their own dry glove rings on the zip seals (instead of their overpriced blue gloves).

Neck seals I have found to be a major pita even though I get 2 years out of one. They seem to know exactly the wrong time to fail.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Having DUI install zip seals is going to cost $293 plus the standard test and eval fee - $77 and least $50 each way in freight. So $470.

Replacement Zip necks are $138 Replacement glue on necks are about $30 and a little labor/glue.

Zip seals aren't IMO his best option. They are stupid expensive and really the only real justification I've ever seen for them is expedition and research divers where a trip is on the line if a seal goes. For day to day folks where a blow seal is just a lost dive and a minor inconvenience they aren't worth the money. And I'm a big fan of DUI suits/products.
Dave Mitchell
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Dmitchell wrote:Having DUI install zip seals is going to cost $293 plus the standard test and eval fee - $77 and least $50 each way in freight.
Looks like the SiTec system is about $215 plus freight installed and can work with nearly any neck seal. I'll keep gluing on my own seals unless I develop a latex allergy but under other circumstances I'd consider it.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

renoun wrote: I'll keep gluing on my own seals unless I develop a latex allergy but under other circumstances I'd consider it.
+1. Installing a neck seal isn't rocket science. Buy a seal and some proper glue, locate a properly sized tube, and go for it. Save yourself a lot of $ and hassle since you're so for out from a proper shop.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

+1 on Koos' recommendation for Superior Diving Repair. I've had Mark work on my suits for 7 or 8 years and he's always done a great job, with reasonable turnaround times and rates.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Dmitchell wrote:Given the price of replacement zip seal parts and the cost for the tools to do you own seals and how easy it really is. I would stay with regular latex and get your group over there to invest the $100 or less for the parts/tools.

Having been a DUI dealer, I never saw the value in zip seals even at wholesale pricing . They are just too expensive. The dry gloves are what $165 for a $5.00 pair of gloves with the ring glued on them. I just could never stomach selling them to someone knowing that.

If you guys are really hurting to get seals done, I would imagine that I could get my wife to give you a lesson on it if you had someone come over to Juneau. She did all our suit repairs in the shop for nearly 10 years so she is darn good at it.

As far as Scubapro goes, Phil has still got the doors open in my old shop for the time being. He is trying to buy the place and has said that if the sale doesn't go through he will probably be opening a new store. He is a good tech and is Scubapro and Aqualung certified. Last time I was in there He was buried with like 25 tanks to vis/hydro and a bunch of regs to service but I would think that it's calmed down now that crab season is closed.
Hey Dave thanks for the Reply. I talked to Phil about doing some viz for my tanks and he was great and was going to come in on a Saturday so that I can get in on the ferry and back out. However ferry service from Sitka is on winter routes meaning it would take a week to get over and back. I will be over Around April 15 with 6 tanks looking for viz, when the fast ferry is up and running. I would apprecaite any pointers your wife could give me about the seals. I know it is not rocket science however I know that is can really be ugly if you don't have a clue about some of the tricks. Seal cement makes for one time shots and I already ended up with a really ugly seam on my neoprene neck seal trying to cut it down. I hate the thoughts of the same kind of fight on the other suit.

Tell Phil if the sale doesn't go through just come to sitka and open a shop. I will definitely call him about service on the my regs as Don hasn't returned my emails yet.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

thanks for the information guys. I think that I have a decision. I want to stay local so Phil and Juneau will get the regs if he is available. I will take Dave up on the lesson on neck seals in April if it is still available then and if I make a mess ill send the suit to Superior, because mark was great to get right back to me same day with his email on costs and turn around time. zip seals i am just not sold on yet so Ill hold off until I actually get to touch and play with a set before I make the investment.

Cool thing about this place is the information that you all make available, the stuff that I would get by hanging around my dive shop if the lights were on. I appreciate it.

BTW if you want to open a shop, Sitka could use one.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Yeah but with only you, Diver Dave, and Sitka diver, I don't think it would be very lucrative... :partydance:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**