Gear Streamline Suggestions

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Gear Streamline Suggestions

Post by Novice »

I am trying to accustom myself to slinging a pony on all my dives. While its not really all that necessary on shallow dives I like to have it on deeper dives and I don't want to be adjusting to unfamiliar gear only on more challenging dives.

My problem is that my left shoulder D ring (I use a standard B/P Wing, standard non hogarthian reg set up) is too busy. I bolt snap my SPG to the left shoulder D ring. With the pony snapped over it I some times have trouble "digging" out my spg. I am considering switching to the Hogarthian set up with a 5' hose but that doesn't really solve the problem with my SPG. I like the SPG on my shoulder so I can check it frequently. That is one thing I don't like about the hogarthian set up is that they put the spg on your left hip d ring which seem inaccessible to me. I considered getting a new hoseless dive computer but they are 1. expensive 2. i am fine with my current computer and 3. I hear that the transmitters flake out all the time and they are like $250.

If I went with the Hogarthian reg set up I could sling the pony on the right but I am worried it could tangle with the long hose if I was trying to share with a buddy. Any thoughts?
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Gear Streamline Suggestions

Post by BDub »

Novice wrote:If I went with the Hogarthian reg set up I could sling the pony on the right but I am worried it could tangle with the long hose if I was trying to share with a buddy. Any thoughts?
To answer your question directly, in a hogarthian configuration the slung bottles are worn on the left for many reasons, but longhose deployment being at the top of the list (no right hip D-ring, consistent hose routing, ease of scootering, can light cord routing/access, etc being other reasons)
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Novice wrote:I am trying to accustom myself to slinging a pony on all my dives. While its not really all that necessary on shallow dives I like to have it on deeper dives and I don't want to be adjusting to unfamiliar gear only on more challenging dives.

My problem is that my left shoulder D ring (I use a standard B/P Wing, standard non hogarthian reg set up) is too busy. I bolt snap my SPG to the left shoulder D ring. With the pony snapped over it I some times have trouble "digging" out my spg. I am considering switching to the Hogarthian set up with a 5' hose but that doesn't really solve the problem with my SPG. I like the SPG on my shoulder so I can check it frequently. That is one thing I don't like about the hogarthian set up is that they put the spg on your left hip d ring which seem inaccessible to me. I considered getting a new hoseless dive computer but they are 1. expensive 2. i am fine with my current computer and 3. I hear that the transmitters flake out all the time and they are like $250.

If I went with the Hogarthian reg set up I could sling the pony on the right but I am worried it could tangle with the long hose if I was trying to share with a buddy. Any thoughts?
Have you actually tried clipping the SPG to the hip D-ring? At first I found it to be rather a PITA, but after a few dives it's really easy to clip/unclip to check your pressure. Practice it a lot at first, now i don't even think about it, just grab it, check and replace.

Clipping your bottle off to the right will interfere with your long hose in a bad way.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:Have you actually tried clipping the SPG to the hip D-ring? At first I found it to be rather a PITA, but after a few dives it's really easy to clip/unclip to check your pressure. Practice it a lot at first, now i don't even think about it, just grab it, check and replace.
I agree with Jake. With a larger size bolt snap and a little practice, it becomes pretty effortless.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Novice wrote:I am trying to accustom myself to slinging a pony on all my dives. While its not really all that necessary on shallow dives I like to have it on deeper dives and I don't want to be adjusting to unfamiliar gear only on more challenging dives.

Have you actually tried clipping the SPG to the hip D-ring? At first I found it to be rather a PITA, but after a few dives it's really easy to clip/unclip to check your pressure. Practice it a lot at first, now i don't even think about it, just grab it, check and replace.

Clipping your bottle off to the right will interfere with your long hose in a bad way.
Agreed, also slinging my pony I found that getting to my SPG wasnt ...convenient. So when slinging I leave it hipclipped and extend the hose a little from the boltsnap so I can thread it up between the pony and the upper connection point for the pony. Having it here is easy to read and easily accessable. When you actually have everything on, Long hose, can light, and pony its simple to see why this configuration works. I might add that having the mechanical SPG gives me a secure feeling and considering I am in the technical field I am weary about electronic inventory of my air supply. Food for thought
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I would skip the pony for some shallow dives so you can practice and focus on the clipping and unclipping the SPG from teh left dring. Its an aquired skill with dry or heavy wet gloves. Don't use a giant boltsnap for this or you will eventually end up double clipping with your pony. Try the medium sized ones- these commonly have a 1" ring and a medium sized hook. Once you have that down, add the pony back on and within a few dives you won't feel so disconbobulated with it all.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I run my spg hose across my chest and clip off on the right shoulder D ring. I make sure it is under the long hose of course. This way the gauge is very convenient to check-it's right in front of my chest. And my right shoulder D ring is a lot less crowded.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I used to put my SPG on a longer hose and clip it off to my RIGHT shoulder D ring- routed under left arm, across chest. And I never unclipped it during the dive. I could just glance down and read it. Worked great.

EDIT- just saw Georgia's post- sorry. What she said +1.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

My console/spg/comp is on a retractor off of my left hip belt. Stays nicely out of the way. Easy to deploy as needed.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I would disagree about transmitters freaking out and failing "all the time" . It's actually IMO very rare that a transmitter has a problem. But I'm not looking to push you that route.

Generally, if you have a "Hog or DIR or whatever" length HP hose it is the appropriate length to reach your hip and is actually a little bit too short to go under your arm and up to the shoulder d-ring. So, you might consider adding a HP hose that is a few inches longer, then putting the bolt snap on the hose a couple inches below the gauge. This gives you a little more room to find the gauge and lift it to your eye.

Another alternative would be to add another d-ring on your left side just for the SPG.

Otherwise, the ideas above are close to covering most of your options.
Dave Mitchell
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If you need a longer HP hose to route across your chest, I'll trade you a brand new long one for your short one.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

After 17 years of diving, I finally switched to BP/Wing system last year. For the record, I still use a short hose on my regulator. But sticking to the topic, I too, found the clipping/unclipping of the SPG on my left hip very challenging at first. But with a few dives, hand muscle memory sets in and you will work on it like a breeze.

I would suggest changing your gear (SPG or 7' hose) one at a time. Let the muscle memory set in, then you can move on with the next gear configuration you wanna change.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Novice wrote:I am trying to accustom myself to slinging a pony on all my dives. While its not really all that necessary on shallow dives I like to have it on deeper dives and I don't want to be adjusting to unfamiliar gear only on more challenging dives...Any thoughts?
Any consideration for diving doubles instead of a single and a pony?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

DIve doubles AND a pony.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

what tank is the pony?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

CaptnJack wrote:what tank is the pony?
Sorry man I was goofin...nothing to see here cap'n

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

How about doubles and a goat?

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff Pack wrote:How about doubles and a goat?
Donkey. It's a Donkey that makes good alternate air source. They are a bitch to sling on the surface though....
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:I would skip the pony for some shallow dives so you can practice and focus on the clipping and unclipping the SPG from teh left dring. Its an aquired skill with dry or heavy wet gloves. Don't use a giant boltsnap for this or you will eventually end up double clipping with your pony. Try the medium sized ones- these commonly have a 1" ring and a medium sized hook. Once you have that down, add the pony back on and within a few dives you won't feel so disconbobulated with it all.
+1 on Richard's suggestion.

I only use large boltsnaps on stage/deco bottles, really. While large snaps seem to make sense due to the large, bulky gloves we have to wear, in reality I've found that due to their size they just become something else to accidentally clip off to, as they can feel like a D-ring with thick gloves on.

To each their own, but just something I've found from personal experience.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Starting with the easiest suggestion first I just clipped my SPG on the right D ring. It was nice, I didn't even have to unsnap it and could just glance down. Thanks to everyone for their advice, I think down the road side-mounting two donkey's is the real answer.... wait that sounds kinda bad....
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I'm sure the donkeys don't mind the mention

mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I'm glad I had the volume down on my PC.

But I want that 2 minutes of my life back... :)

guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

That is one of the stupidest, most pointless videos I've ever seen! Excuse me now, I have to change cuz I think I wet myself laughing!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cheers!

Ron
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Since I use one of those bungee-type thingys to attach the bolt-snap to my SPG hose (and then clip said bolt-snap to my left hip D-ring), I don't have to clip and unclip. It's one of the only times I prefer the bungee attachment because it easily slides up and down the hose. I haven't had any problem with that and my sling bottle . . . as long as I've routed everything properly BEFORE I get in the water.

I guess Dive Gear Express calls it a hose clip retainer, but I still prefer bungee-type thingy.
http://divegearexpress.com/hardware/sssnaps.shtml
Kelly