What Fins Do You Use & Why?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: What Fins Do You Use & Why?

Post by LCF »

I think that 1:4 is an exaggeration, but I do get more power out of the EXPs. I thought it was just the blade length, but maybe it's the material, too.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Thanks man for the offer as always... I think I am gonna jump on that Hollis F1 deal with the Yellow tips for the $99 and give em a try, i figure if I hate em and they hurt my injuries I can esily get my $99 back out of them after a dive or two... ont the F1's come with spring straps as well?
Nwbrewer wrote:
BASSMAN wrote: F1's are vented in the pockets so you don't have to carry buckets of water or have to empty them like a Turtle fin.
But then how do you rinse the sand off your boots when you get to the car?

Newb I have a pair of XL jets that should fit you if you can meet me at Muk to try them out. I have Turtles because my drysuit boots won't fit the jets, and the shop cut me a good deal on them when I bought the drysuit. Primarily the fins being recommended above are variations on the same theme, a stiff rubber blade fin.

+100 for spring straps.

Jake
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

I was looking at the F-1’s on sale at Scuba Toys the other day. According to their website they only have two sizes to choose from, Regular & XX Large; I didn’t see a sizing chart so I went to the Hollis website. • Regular: 7-9 • XL: 10-12 • XXL: 13-15

I use Scuba Pro Twinjets but I would like to try a F-1 style fin.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I recently aquired F1s and here are my observations:
If you primarily scissor-kick or flutter-kick you might find them to be very stiff. They are much stiffer than jets, slipstreams, or turtles. If that bothers you, don't write them off until you've worked on frog kicking, back kicking, and helicopter turns. They really perform well doing those kicks; better than any other fin I've used. They scissor and flutter fine too, but maybe not as comfortably. That's my experience anyway.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I recently switched from my BioFin split fins to a pair of F1s.

I initially hated them. They were brutal on my sloppy flutter kicking legs. But after working on a decent frog kick with the F1s I doubt I will ever go back to my splits.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Luckily for me I should be able to fit a Regular just fine in the F1's so the sizing they have shouldnt be a issue. Lucky me!

And yeah I will be eventually frog kicking on my dives once i get it down, i have spent some time kind of learning about it online and have been trying it on the past couple dives when I get a chance and while I dont have it down its something I can tell I will catch on to pretty easily once I get some direct pointers and experience with someone who does it well so I know I am trying to do it correctly or what to change.

And yeah I can imagine they will be way different then my bio fins and I will probably hate them at first as the bio fin is so smooth and relaxed but I will get thru it once i get used to the new f1's..

They got about 75 pairs left to sell on that site of the size regular and well over 100 pairs of the larger sized ones so I think I will give it a week or two before I buy them and see if I can demo them.

Jeremy wrote:I recently switched from my BioFin split fins to a pair of F1s.

I initially hated them. They were brutal on my sloppy flutter kicking legs. But after working on a decent frog kick with the F1s I doubt I will ever go back to my splits.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

scubnewb wrote:I will be eventually frog kicking on my dives once i get it down, i have spent some time kind of learning about it online and have been trying it on the past couple dives when I get a chance
Eventually? When you have a chance? :smt064 If you don't have paddle fins just borrow some until you get your F1s or whatever. Go cold turkey starting right now. Just stop flutter/scissor kicking and force yourself to frog kick as your primary kick. It doesn't matter if it's not perfect. You'll have it down in no time if you just make yourself do it. In just a few dives it will feel natural and you'll be no-trace diving like a boss.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lol Eventualy basically means going cold turkey once I have the F1's :calvin: but right now when I am diving and me and my dive buddy are just chilling going now where and he is looking at something or taking pics and I am not trying to chase him down in my split fins you can see me usually just floating there attempting to frog kick in my bio fins or doing something i imagine that looks like a frog kick haha. At this point as long as we arent trying to go anywehre fast i actually can get my self around with what I think is a frog kick in the splits so I figure I will have it down just fine after a few dives. I actaully can go backwards as well in my bio fins but its real slow and hit and miss with each stroke lol
airsix wrote:
scubnewb wrote:I will be eventually frog kicking on my dives once i get it down, i have spent some time kind of learning about it online and have been trying it on the past couple dives when I get a chance
Eventually? When you have a chance? :smt064 If you don't have paddle fins just borrow some until you get your F1s or whatever. Go cold turkey starting right now. Just stop flutter/scissor kicking and force yourself to frog kick as your primary kick. It doesn't matter if it's not perfect. You'll have it down in no time if you just make yourself do it. In just a few dives it will feel natural and you'll be no-trace diving like a boss.

Ben
-Confucius
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:

Ben
+1
Arch your back, get your knees in line with your waist and you'll almost naturally frog - albit maybe somewhat disfunctionally.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I have Atomic split fins. I've used the same pair for the entire 6 years I've been diving and I'm comfortable with them. I'd recommend you find a way to try several different kinds and see what's best for you.

In any case, +5 on the spring straps. You will LOVE them.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Hahah yeah Disfuntional... thats the word I was looking for earlier haha

CaptnJack wrote:
airsix wrote:

Ben
+1
Arch your back, get your knees in line with your waist and you'll almost naturally frog - albit maybe somewhat disfunctionally.
-Confucius
Sea Goat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Sea Goat »

Cold: XL jetfins with springstraps

Warm: L jetfins that I got for $5 at a thrift shop in Bellingham, with the original straps, work great with booties, reef walkers, or five fingers shoes.
NWUE Founding Member
GUE Seattle
http://www.GUE-Seattle.org
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I just want to comment on the running theme that everybody ought to switch to frog kicking. It's a great kick, don't get me wrong -- very easy to avoid silting, and the glide phase is a resting phase, so you don't fatigue as fast. (It's also a great buoyancy check with every kick!) But it is not the be-all and end-all of kicking; there are conditions where a good modified flutter kick is a better choice, like into current. Fighting current or flow, the frog kick is not a winner, because the glide phase is simply velocity loss, and acceleration takes more energy than running at a constant speed. The flutter has propulsion in every moment of the kick cycle, and is better into current or flow.

A lot of people adopt the frog kick and never use anything else. It's really ideal to have several kicks in the armamentarium, and be able to execute all of them in a non-silting way.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

We learned a bent knee flutter kick to keep in tight.

My instructors mentioned in my AOW clas, I had probably the most efficient bent knee flutter they've ever seen.

For me, I find the frog kick less efficent, and actually more effort. With a bent knee hover, the kick comes right from that position, as well as helicopter spins and back kicks. I've tried a frog kick from bent knee was well, and dont really care for that either.

Now the downside I've learned, is air gets trapped in my feet, so I have to remember to stretch out once and awhile when venting my drysuit, to let that air migrate out of my feet.

Just dont completely swallow the "you gotta do frog kicks" kool aid... :)
Last edited by Jeff Pack on Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yea I agree, there are different kicks that are approraite for diffent dives and times like there are different tools for different jobs.
LCF wrote:I just want to comment on the running theme that everybody ought to switch to frog kicking. It's a great kick, don't get me wrong -- very easy to avoid silting, and the glide phase is a resting phase, so you don't fatigue as fast. (It's also a great buoyancy check with every kick!) But it is not the be-all and end-all of kicking; there are conditions where a good modified flutter kick is a better choice, like into current. Fighting current or flow, the frog kick is not a winner, because the glide phase is simply velocity loss, and acceleration takes more energy than running at a constant speed. The flutter has propulsion in every moment of the kick cycle, and is better into current or flow.

A lot of people adopt the frog kick and never use anything else. It's really ideal to have several kicks in the armamentarium, and be able to execute all of them in a non-silting way.
-Confucius
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I like my Volo's. My husband uses the jet fins ( Except on Vacay). They are nice because they are negative, while the Volo's are neutral or even slightly positive. I have bad knees and it's hard to use heavy fins but my husband likes the jet's because he can stand on them while lighter fins break or bend. The heavy fins are also nice for drysuit diving. Just my 2psi, since you asked.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Perry Cole
Just Settling In

Post by Perry Cole »

I normally dive APS Mantas because they are light, come with spring straps, and I can frog kick with them. I dive Apollo biofins with my drysuit and can really stir up the seafloor with them. My wife uses Jetfins (with a split) for all her diving and enjoys them. She, and a few of my friends, do not like the Mantas but I know a lot of divers that do like them. All our fins have spring straps.
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

I've got two types of fins for specific types of dives: If I have to cover some distance in the water or need some speed (I haven't got hooked on the scooter crack yet) my old legs LOVE my ScubaPro Twin Jet splits- I have yet to get a leg cramp even with extended finning; normal snoopin' and cruisin' and huntin' dives I use my F1's for all the previously posted reasons and I really enjoy the precise control. I firmly believe that you should tailor your gear for the diving you intend to do.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I've tried a lot of different fins over the years. Splits, Jets, Turtles, Batfins....they all work, it comes down to personal preference, most of the time.

But for really serious deep technical diving with high currents, there's really only one choice: Get yourself a pair of THESE BABIES.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

Those might work well for high currents, but the best fin for high current, I've found, are Dive-X Cudas :-)
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Thanks for all the info everyone, I decided to just order the Yellow Tip F1's for $99 off scubatoys... Shoud be here by monday or so!
-Confucius
dungeediver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by dungeediver »

Prob a little late but I love my Bio Fins
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I have a pair myself and they are nice but I decided I wanted to try something else and see how it went. I have been trying to frog kick in them and while it works to a extent I dont feel like I get maximum results.
dungeediver wrote:Prob a little late but I love my Bio Fins
-Confucius
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

There is a huge difference in frog kicks from the BioFins to the F1.

I think people like BioFins if they are primarily flutter kickers.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

F1's came to my door today :-)
-Confucius