Bungy Speed Laces

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Bungy Speed Laces

Post by Zen Diver »

I've been using bungy as laces on my dry suit boots for a few years. I find them much faster for both prepping and getting out of post- dive. After using regular, tie up laces on new boots last week I realized they really DO work better for me; not only are they faster but they feel more secure and don't get floppy during the dive.

-Remove old laces.
-Replace with thin bungy, lacing just as you normallly would.
-Squeeze the tightening thingy, thread the bungy ends through the holes.
-I tied the ends in a knot so they wouldn't retract back.
-Seal off the cut ends using a lighter/flame.
Attachments
Bungy Laces
Bungy Laces
Bungy Laces.jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Bungy Speed Laces

Post by spatman »

i've been meaning to try this for a while. Thanks for the write up and the reminder!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

I replace my laces with bungee about a year ago, and I've been very happy with the results! I agree that they definitely are easier to don/doff and they feel more secure too. I bought a pair on Amazon for $4, but any bungee plus the squeezer thingy will work.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I recently did this with my Bare boots. If you are going out to buy squeezy-things, be careful; some of them have metal springs, which I suspect will rust and eventually die. Some use all plastic parts, and won't corrode (although they seem to be somewhat bulkier). If you want to avoid long ends sticking out, you can pull the loop formed by the excess after you tighten up, down over the toe, so the "squeezy-thingy" is riding at your heel.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Bungy Speed Laces

Post by Zen Diver »

That's a good idea. I just wrap the excess around my ankle & hook it over the Squeezy Thingy.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Been doing this with rockboots for years. The only problem that I've had is eventually, the bungee will chaff through the loops. Good news is that you can lose 2-3 loops and it's not a big deal. I usually wear out the boots long before I totally kill the loops.
Dave Mitchell
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Bungy Speed Laces

Post by Zen Diver »

Yep, me too.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dmitchell wrote:The only problem that I've had is eventually, the bungee will chaff through the loops. Good news is that you can lose 2-3 loops and it's not a big deal. I usually wear out the boots long before I totally kill the loops.
Sorry, not following you here. Do you mean the cord retainer thingy will chaff the bungee? The rockboot eyelets chaff the bungee?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

No, the bungie eventually wears through the fabric loops that retain it at the top of the boot.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:No, the bungie eventually wears through the fabric loops that retain it at the top of the boot.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I use these Typhoon boots, so I'll probably wear them out pretty quick.