Cuda Alternatives???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Cuda Alternatives???

Post by Jeff Pack »

the RS1 clams a weight of around 20 pounds. Pretty lightweight.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dashrynn wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Raydar wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
kdupreez wrote:This one went up in smoke and took the Nissan and sadly a MK15.5 with it! :eek:

http://www.rebreatherpro.com/2008/08/sa ... ather.html
I stand corrected, but- that was a battery heavily modified by crazy-ass Australians.And if you don't believe they're crazy, you haven't looked at the dives they do- no sane man or woman would attempt them.
They were using homemade lithium packs in Sierras.
Nope. They were Australian.
Were or are?
Are.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:the RS1 clams a weight of around 20 pounds. Pretty lightweight.
And magically go 3mph on 220W for 3 hours.

Actually it probably does that, minus any diver.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

CaptnJack wrote:

No they measure them like a torpedo. how fast can it circulate water in a closed circular track. they did not do do a live dive with drag on it :nutty: . the RS1 is faster than a Explore it tops out at about 130f/min if you are in trim.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I look at it this way: Do you want a scooter for playing around or for doing dives you can't kick? If all you want to do is add some fun to dives you could just as easily kick, then there's no reason not to get a pool-toy-class scooter. They are fun. If on the other hand you want a scooter so you can do dives impractical or impossible without, well then you really should only consider the expedition grade stuff.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

loanwolf wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

No they measure them like a torpedo. how fast can it circulate water in a closed circular track. they did not do do a live dive with drag on it :nutty: . the RS1 is faster than a Explore it tops out at about 130f/min if you are in trim.
:rofl: :rofl: are you kidding me?

I believe the 130ft/min downhill.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

scubnewb wrote:Not ready to shell out $$$$$$$ for a cuda right now but what are some other alternatives?
as an overall value proposition, the Dive Xtras products are not too expensive. It's that old thing about getting what you pay for- there are other good scooters but to get the similar quality and performance, you're right back in the same price range. If you move to a much lower price range you're looking at products that really aren't in the same category. (thus really not "alternatives" like you asked for)

Like everyone else, I've had nothing but the best support and service from Dive Xtras and many conversations with Ray have convinced me that they really know what they're doing.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

A used but never flooded (a dubious claim) short Gavin is a viable alternative, just almost 2x the weight and the shaft seal is fiddly. They are decently fast and can be had for roughly half a Sierra $$. You want a HDPE backend if possible. I can't imagine the tail cones on a Gavin of PVC backend vintage are still in good shape unless it was a freshwater scoot.

More like a Sierra alternative vs a Cuda though.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: Nope. They were Australian.
Were or are?
Are.
I thought so, was wondering if they died or moved away to Florida.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

loanwolf wrote: No they measure them like a torpedo. how fast can it circulate water in a closed circular track. they did not do do a live dive with drag on it :nutty: . the RS1 is faster than a Explore it tops out at about 130f/min if you are in trim.
Seadoo web site claims for RS1;

Battery = 22.2V / 12AH
Power = 500 Watt
Runtime = 90min
Speed = 4.35mph (382.8 feet per minute)

WOA!! Thats well over a 100 feet per minute faster than a CUDA FURY!! and 30 minutes longer runtime!!

holy hell, what was I thinking buying a Cuda.. :stir:

Erp.. wait a minute, the Fury is a 44.4V / Nominal 26Ah and almost 1,200 WATT... something doesnt quite add up? hmm.. Ray, better bust out that the design board dude, cause the Cuda Fury has just been out gunned by a pool toy!! :rofl:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The spec sheet I found had the seadoo RS1 at 220W. Roughly 1/2 of a mako (which was never a speed demon)
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:The spec sheet I found had the seadoo RS1 at 220W. Roughly 1/2 of a mako (which was never a speed demon)
http://www.seadooseascooter.com/SEADOO_ ... 34&lang=en
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Not their official specs but this is what I was looking at
http://www.diversdiscountflorida.com/pr ... temID=2442

I think we're giving way too much attention to a toy. Shit my Sierra is practically pool toy compared to today's scooters.

Edit: in my link they got the names backwards, the RS3 is the 220W version
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

CaptnJack wrote:Not their official specs but this is what I was looking at

I think we're giving way too much attention to a toy. Shit my Sierra is practically pool toy compared to today's scooters.
the RS1 shows a 500w motor. Would be interesting to see how efficient the propulsion system is.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Not their official specs but this is what I was looking at

the RS1 shows a 500w motor. Would be interesting to see how efficient the propulsion system is.
For a given motor wattage they are all about the same (Tahoe benchmark illustrates this well). Diver drag vastly overshadows trivial differences in the standard prop efficiency, which is actually pretty good. DiveX has a new prop which does do a little better than the tried and true tekna design.
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Dashrynn wrote:3. Higher voltage motors seem to be more efficient. Compare wattage needed for cruising of a Sierra and a Cuda, you will see what I'm talking about. Captnjack can explain this better than I. :rjack:
Generally, the faster you spin a brushless, the more efficient it is. Assuming the motor can handle it.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Raydar wrote: They were using homemade lithium packs in Sierras.
This is a public forum and I can't share my observations relating to Australians.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

kdupreez wrote:
Seadoo web site claims for RS1;

Battery = 22.2V / 12AH
Power = 500 Watt
Runtime = 90min
Speed = 4.35mph (382.8 feet per minute)

WOA!! Thats well over a 100 feet per minute faster than a CUDA FURY!! and 30 minutes longer runtime!!

holy hell, what was I thinking buying a Cuda.. :stir:

Erp.. wait a minute, the Fury is a 44.4V / Nominal 26Ah and almost 1,200 WATT... something doesnt quite add up? hmm.. Ray, better bust out that the design board dude, cause the Cuda Fury has just been out gunned by a pool toy!! :rofl:
It is always amusing when you start crunching the numbers, particularly if a person has done any research or has some knowledge. ;)
Purveyor of crack ;)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Raydar wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Raydar wrote: They were using homemade lithium packs in Sierras.
This is a public forum and I can't share my observations relating to Australians.
So you admit to being observed having relations with Australians in public, then?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Most of the dive gear I have regretted buying has been of the cheaper alternative variety, whereas the stuff that has come highly recommended by a majority of experienced divers on this board has proven to be excellent. My Light Monkey HID light and my Sierra are both examples of this.
I have owned my Sierra for about 3 years. I paid $2500 back then and could likey recoup $1800 on the used market now. So the value lost is about $19 per month. Compared to all the other costs of fills, servicing gear, gas for driving to and from dive sites, con ed dive classes etc owning a scooter is down right cheap :thumb3d:
Throw in the value of all the crab you'll catch with one and it's practically investment.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith