Compressor rebuilds

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Compressor rebuilds

Post by sitkadiver »

Hi Everyone,

I have two compressors that I would like to have rebuilt. They're in rough shape and have been sitting under a friends porch being robbed of parts for a few years.

1 option is to rebuild them myself and just order a complete rebuild kit. Haven't had much luck finding those. I checked August industries in Texas and they seem to have parts, but not a complete kit.

The bigger of the 2 compressors in a K-14, so I'm guessing it's definately worth a rebuild.

The other is a small gas powered Mako. I needs less work, but again, not sure if it's a relabeled Bauer.

Shipping from Sitka, AK is an issue, so I would like to stick with the Seattle area. Most likely a friend in Seattle will pick up the compressor(s) and transport to the shop facility.

Can anyone recommend someone in the Seattle area to rebuild these compressors? Or even sell complete rebuild kits. Both compressors turn and have clean oil, so I assume the top ends(reed valves, condensers and such will need to be replaced - the rods and cranks should be fine... famous last words)

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited by sitkadiver on Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Re: Compressor rebuilds

Post by Dmitchell »

Do some searching, there was a site out of Thailand or somewhere with rebuild manuals. They aren't complicated and the cost to have someone else go through them plus freight will certainly be more than they are worth.

For parts - compressor-parts.com Be prepared for sticker shock on the prices for some of the valves and heads.

The places I'd be most concerned with are the filter housings and the air/oil/water separators. Those see full pressure and need to be visualed really well if not hydro'd.
Dave Mitchell
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Ping Bear (Don'tPokeTheBear). That's his bread and butter.

D
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

defied wrote:Ping Bear (Don'tPokeTheBear). That's his bread and butter.

D

Thank You, I knew there was someone on the board who worked on these.

The deal I'm trying to work, is send the compressors to a guy in Seattle, have him rebuild both, ship one back to me and he keeps the other. We'll need to crunch some numbers before we can determine a fair situation.

Cheers,

Dave
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Sounds like that might be right up his alley.

D
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

defied wrote:Sounds like that might be right up his alley.

D

Better clarify, I have a dive buddy in Seattle who may take one/fix both. We just need to crunch numbers.
-Charles Lindbergh
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

Post by DontPokeTheBear »

I sent you a PM, hopefuly I can get you started in the right direction.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

sitkadiver wrote: Better clarify, I have a dive buddy in Seattle who may take one/fix both. We just need to crunch numbers.
Ah, I see. I'm sure he'll take money, too. 0]

D
DontPokeTheBear
Just Settling In

Post by DontPokeTheBear »

I take money, and beer among other things.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

DontPokeTheBear wrote:I take money, and beer among other things.
I PM'd you back, thanks for the speedy response.

As far as cash, my partner in crime has all the loot and won't let me near it. :pirate:

But, we do have a brewery here in SItka... :partyman: :partyman:

Seriously though, I get the feeling parts will be a little steep. I think that was part of the reason the previous owner tookt he electric motor off of it. Buying them is one thing, getting them shipped to Sitka is a whole other matter.
-Charles Lindbergh
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Can you post more pictures of the K14 and Mako?

I've rebuilt my previous Bauer completely and serviced a bunch of times before selling it and bought a brand new Coltri MCH16

If you are looking for K14 service manuals, I have them for you, I just need to look at the compressor to check if its the pre '84 model or post '84 model. So drop me a PM or email pics to koos@gue.com and can certainly help with service manuals.

And then I can very highly recommend compressor-parts.com for American made Bauer parts. I rebuilt mine with lots of help and guidance from these guys, parts are a LOT cheaper that Bauer parts and super high quality. (They are a wholly owned subsidiary of Lawrence Factor at 5000psi.com). I'd also be happy to hook you up with parts, filters, etc. if you need any.

And finally, I have a 9HP Honda gas motor with electric start that I took out of the Coltri when I bought it and replaced with an Electric 7HP motor.

The Honda motor has less than 1 hour on the clock and pretty much brand new.. If you want the Honda Motor, drop me a line and we can chat about a deal.

Here is a pic of just before I took it off the new compressor.
Nuvair_Front_small.jpg
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

The only other picture I took of the K14 was of the tag:

I can't read the serial number, but it's four digits if that helps.

At this point, I've got a friend in Seattle who is willing to rebuild both and send one back up to me. Sounds like he wants the K14 so it's probably spoken for and I'll get the smaller one back. (Cuz I'm cool like that) :spatman:

Bear has also been in touch and if my buddy wants out of the deal, after we crunch the numbers, I'll send the compressors to him for a rebuild. I know I can do it myself, but in the past I've been shafted by shipping prices to SE Alaska. We'll see.

At this time, I do not need a gas engine, but you'll have no trouble selling a Honda since they just go and go forever. Used them on water pumps and had one our MaxAir compressor(90? - I think.) Great little engines. Is a Coltri the same as a Max Air? Your compressor looks a lot like the Max Air 90 we used for a project up here. And speaking of that compressor - it is sitting in a hanger right now, without a home. I would imagine that it'll be up for sale this year sometime.

If things change in Seattle, I'll let you know if I need the manuals. Thank You.
-Charles Lindbergh
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Cool, no problem, if you need anything I can help with, just shout.

And yes, the MaxAir-90 branded version of the coltri is the exact same as the one I have.. I actually have the Nuvair version (Mini Tec MCH16) and run Nitrox through it, very nice machine..

http://www.nuvair.com/compressors-hp-open.shtml#mini

Well good luck with you compressors and let me know if I can help.

cheers

K
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White