Dip Tube for Scubapro valves?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Anybody know where I can get a brass dip tube for a SP 3/4" valve? I scored some inexpensive SP valves, but one of the dip tubes sheared off in transit.

Thanks.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I have a couple of old valves I could pull the dip tubes from. Are all dip tubes the same diameter and thread?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Dip Tube for Scubapro valves?

Post by Nwbrewer »

Apparently not, I tried to take one off a thermo and it's a different thread. I pulled a nylon one off an OLD SP manifold and it's the same thread though, so at least SP is consistent.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Check with your local scuba shop. They usually have a box of old valves in the work shop.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:Check with your local scuba shop. They usually have a box of old valves in the work shop.
Hoping to avoid the conversation about how I'm going to die because I changed out my own valves...

Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Give Don Peterson at Octopus Gardens Diving a call at 360-385-3483 he might be able to help. He is a Scubapro dealer.

Mike
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You could skip the dip tube.

But you might die that way too.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on what richard said.. forgo the dip tubes.. they are mostly for AL tanks that could get tons of oxidation when you invert (upside down) in the water and plug your 1st stage..

I've seen more dip tubes come loose and rattle around than issues with oxidation. Well, there was once in Cozumel where a buddy on the dive inverted and his reg stopped working (got plugged) with oxidation, and dip tube actually didnt help either.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Do you have access to a die for the appropriate thread (or something close enough to work)? How about a little copper refrigeration tube and some JB Weld?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

renoun wrote:Do you have access to a die for the appropriate thread (or something close enough to work)? How about a little copper refrigeration tube and some JB Weld?
Not willing to go there quite yet, though if I was going to do it, I guess threading the tube out of something else would probably work (same OD, different threads...)

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The dip tube is an artifact of days of yore when people dove with J valves and no gauges. Running the tank dry you'd get lots of water in there and the dip tube prevented the first few inches from sloshing forward and blocking your air supply. They don't do anything nowadays.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.