Looking for a great inexpensive light?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Diver_C
Amphibian

Re: Looking for a great inexpensive light?

Post by Diver_C »

It looks like I've found a new back-up light. Thanks Bob!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

The light arrived today via USPS. Dive Right In Scuba joins my list of good companies. A very pleasant contrast to so many who either promise much and deliver little, or who "free ship" via the slowest possible method and the item shows literally months later.

Of course my wife gave me "the look" at buying a light when I am several months away from actually diving again. I mollified her by saying it was just more motivation. :)

They sent along a lanyard with what seems to me a very small attach string. Is that thing any good? For anything?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

airsix wrote:I would expect some dimming across the burn-time. An alkaline C cell (highest quality) can put out roughly 8 watts for 1 hour. With 3 you have the capacity of 24 watt hours. The emitter in this light draws 10 watts at max output (the claimed 1k lumen), so you can see that it would be capable of max output for 2.4 hours if it were current-regulated and there were no losses. To go 5 hours would require being unregulated or dropping out of regulation when the batts are no longer able to support 10 watts. Bottom line is the light MUST dim during at least the second 2.5 hours of operation (or more if not regulated) because 3 C cells cannot support 10 watts for 5 hours. That's exactly the behavior and design I'd want in a backup light and next time I dive with Bob I'm going to want a good look at it because I already think I want one.

Ben
[sarcasm]There goes all that math stuff nobody ever wants to hear about.[/sarcasm] Interesting light though, let's hear some reviews in this thread when dove for a month or after further testing.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Seriously? 8x3=24 and 24/10=2.4 was too much math? You're kidding, right?
Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:Seriously? 8x3=24 and 24/10=2.4 was too much math? You're kidding, right?
Ben
It's a dig at me, which I probably deserve. Carry on, math lovers.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

airsix wrote:I am in the top 1% of financial advisors that have a home-made dive light and sometimes sleep at Bob's house.
:rofl:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

ArcticDiver wrote:The light arrived today via USPS. Dive Right In Scuba joins my list of good companies. A very pleasant contrast to so many who either promise much and deliver little, or who "free ship" via the slowest possible method and the item shows literally months later.

Of course my wife gave me "the look" at buying a light when I am several months away from actually diving again. I mollified her by saying it was just more motivation. :)

They sent along a lanyard with what seems to me a very small attach string. Is that thing any good? For anything?
I have several of those and yes they are quite good. If they are what I am used to the string is Kevlar and very strong.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
airsix wrote:Seriously? 8x3=24 and 24/10=2.4 was too much math? You're kidding, right?
Ben
Meh, I just recall someone joking at prior mathematical formulas. To some, a cup is an ocean, to others it's a drop.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dashrynn wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Ben
Meh, I just recall someone joking at prior mathematical formulas. To some, a cup is an ocean, to others it's a drop.
Also, I was reading on Tapatalk with my phone which does NOT display the sarcasm font. I just now saw it as it was intended, which totally changes my interpretation. My bad. Again.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Dusty2 wrote:
ArcticDiver wrote:The light arrived today via USPS. Dive Right In Scuba joins my list of good companies. A very pleasant contrast to so many who either promise much and deliver little, or who "free ship" via the slowest possible method and the item shows literally months later.

I have several of those and yes they are quite good. If they are what I am used to the string is Kevlar and very strong.
Really? Kevlar? The light is a bit slippery so if the lanyard is that strong I can use it to make sure I don't drop the bloody thing just when I need it.

Needless to say I haven't had it in the water yet. Nor, have I been able to use it at night since that is a scarce thing this time of year. But, I did take it into a large, dark room where I compared it to my other small lights. Very nice. Well worth the money. Also, for me it helps me standardize on two battery sizes plus the battery pack on my can light.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

What C cells have 6AH? (6AH*1.4V=8WH)

I thought C's were closer to 3AH?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:Also, I was reading on Tapatalk with my phone which does NOT display the sarcasm font.
Which is why the words within the [sarcasm]sarcasm[/sarcasm] tags are preceded and followed by **.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Jeff Kruse wrote:What C cells have 6AH? (6AH*1.4V=8WH)

I thought C's were closer to 3AH?
I've been using this as a reference, but looking at the fine print I see they are giving the battery breaks.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Dusty2 wrote:

Emailed DRIS. The response was that the entire lanyard, including the thin loop, is nylon. However, at my request he is rechecking.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Kevlar or Nylon?

That was the lanyard question. What is the little loop at the end of the lanyard made of? According to an email from DRIS that I just received it is nylon.

Frankly, considering the light's price and use that is a bit cheesy thing for DRIS to do. If they were going to include a lanyard it should be something a person could actually use with confidence. And, to be fair to them, I have told them so.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Considering the light's price and performance, I can't believe you're complaining about a lanyard. Most folks who purchase this light won't even use one ... we put a boltsnap back there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Grateful Diver wrote:Considering the light's price and performance, I can't believe you're complaining about a lanyard. Most folks who purchase this light won't even use one ... we put a boltsnap back there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
ROFL
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Grateful Diver wrote:Considering the light's price and performance, I can't believe you're complaining about a lanyard. Most folks who purchase this light won't even use one ... we put a boltsnap back there.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Oh, so you know everyone who buys this light and how they use the light? Come on now, you're good, but not That good.

There are many uses for dive lights. When I spend money on something I expect to and intend to get the last bit of use out of whatever it is. In this case had they not put anything in the package I wouldn't have mentioned a thing. But, when they put in a cheesy piece of string that disappoints me. Had I been the seller I wouldn't have put anything in, or I would have put in the style lanyard that UK and Princeton Tec put in theirs. Both make the light useful for multiple purposes.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

ArcticDiver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Oh, so you know everyone who buys this light and how they use the light?
No ... and I'm not going to belabor the point too much ... but the light is being marketed as a backup light, and they don't normally come with a lanyard. I know my Photon Torpedoes didn't, nor my Rat Juniors, nor even that piece of crap Raider I bought from Oxycheq ... and all of those lights were more expensive and less bright than this one.

Over on ScubaBoard there's a thread reviewing this light. There's almost 200 responses in it already, and not one mentions the lanyard. Some folks are asking for a light sock or goodman handle ... and when I get some time I'll probably just build my own ... but no one's asking for a better lanyard. There are, however, pretty much universal rave reviews for the light.

Personally, I don't see that it's worth complaining about. But that's just me. If i wanted a better lanyard I'd just make one out of a piece of string and a few inches of aquarium tubing. Or spend a couple bucks extra and get one that suited me.

You bought a great light at a great price ... I just don't see the point of complaining about a piece of string.

Some folks would complain if you whapped them upside the head with a brand new baseball bat ... :stickwhack:

BTW - I own a couple UK lights (SL4 & Q40) ... they both came with a rubber lanyard that's not much good for anything.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Gee, did you have a hard time at work, or something? There are comments, complaints, Complaints and COMPLAINTS. Really this was more of a comment on their marketing than anything. As I posted, you did read it didn't you?, if it had been me I wouldn't have included anything. But, when they included a cheesy piece of string, it deserved a comment; espcially since UK and PT included very nice lanyards with their lights that I use as backups.

I'm looking forward to a chance to use it in the water in the near future.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Personally, if I'm going to buy one of these I am glad they didn't spend more money on a fancy lanyard. It would increase the price and I'm going to throw it away anyway since like Bob says I'm going to boltsnap it.

Ben
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Grateful Diver wrote:Spec on the battery life says up to 5 hours. I'm gonna order some NiMH batteries and see how well it works with rechargeables ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hey Bob have you tested the NIMH batteries in this light yet. I have the 500 lum and the 1000 versions and was just waiting to get your review before i invested on rechargeable

Thanks
Herb
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Alaska-Herb wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Spec on the battery life says up to 5 hours. I'm gonna order some NiMH batteries and see how well it works with rechargeables ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hey Bob have you tested the NIMH batteries in this light yet. I have the 500 lum and the 1000 versions and was just waiting to get your review before i invested on rechargeable

Thanks
Herb
Sorry Herb ... I haven't even had a chance to order them yet, much less try them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Somewhat of a topic diversion-but these cells will fit in a lot of lights:
VETCO in Bellevue off Northrup Way [http://www.vetco.net/] has 2000mA Japan made C-cell Sanyos (I'm pretty sure) for $0.90. I've verified the capacity on about 10 cells so they seem to be OK. These are pretty good rechargeables for a remarkably low price.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm gonna swing by Batteries Plus during lunch today ... they've got some 5000 mAH Powerex batteries I want to try ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)