Looking for a great inexpensive light?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: Looking for a great inexpensive light?

Post by Dashrynn »

Grateful Diver wrote:I'm gonna swing by Batteries Plus during lunch today ... they've got some 5000 mAH Powerex batteries I want to try ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
http://www.batteryspace.com/csizeseriesbatteries.aspx

They don't come with a nice Kevlar lanyard though.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Just got this link from BDub ... Jeanna took some video of our Lake Washington dives a couple weeks ago. At about one minute into the video you'll see me swimming toward her with my 21W Salvo in my right hand and the DRIS backup light in my left ... makes for a nice comparison. This was at about 80 FFW on a day with reasonable (~20 foot) vis ...

http://vimeo.com/45293279

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Just about what I would expect. I tried the light on land the other night. Illuminated very well. My hope is to be in the water soon so I can try it there as well. Probably will be too bright for tropical water. But, we'll see.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Man , cant believe it comes with a crappy string lanyard thing
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I ordered one of these (because of this thread) and its a nice backup light.
I didn't even get the lanyard with it :( but wasn't planning to use it anyhow. Mounted on a split ring to a retractor.

Its a fine light and will work perfect as a backup light or a loaner to someone.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

FlyinV wrote:I ordered one of these (because of this thread) and its a nice backup light.
I didn't even get the lanyard with it :( but wasn't planning to use it anyhow. Mounted on a split ring to a retractor.

Its a fine light and will work perfect as a backup light or a loaner to someone.

By golly they do listen to their customers! Good on them!
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
rmelick
Just Settling In

Post by rmelick »

Another +1 to the company. Ordered this light, took it on my first night dive and it immediatly flooded at about 20ft.

The next day I called them, let them know what had happened and the response was: no problem we've had this happen to a few send it back to us and we'll get you a new one asap. So i did, assuming it would be weeks for the thing to get inspected, processed, and the new one to be sent out.

I had a new light on my door step 4 days later.

A note on the battery life - I noticed minimal dimming after two hour long dives and replaced the batteries after 4hours of divetime. Haven't made the forray into rechargeables yet.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I ended up getting 3500 mAH rechargeables ... the dimming starts to become noticeable at about 2 hours.

But that's typically a couple of dives, and I can just recharge them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For my back up I always use alkalines because they tend to sit allot and not be used allot. Rechargeables loose power over time so they aren't a good choice unless you are well organized and actually recharge them regularly. For me a back up light is like your flash light at home. It's just there for emergency's and tends to just be forgotten till I need it and then dead batteries are a very bad thing. Since I don't use it often I use good ole Duracell's because they have a long shelf life.

just my 2 psi
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

I just got mine in the mail this week:) Lookin' forward to takin it out. Been borrowing the same light for a few dives and as a new diver, its been a fantastic cheap option for a main light!

oh, and I got a sweetbadassawesome lanyard with mine too that i plan on never using ever :neener:
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Alaska-Herb wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Spec on the battery life says up to 5 hours. I'm gonna order some NiMH batteries and see how well it works with rechargeables ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Hey Bob have you tested the NIMH batteries in this light yet. I have the 500 lum and the 1000 versions and was just waiting to get your review before i invested on rechargeable

Thanks
Herb
Herb,

I have a small stockpile of NiMH C-cells. If you want to borrow a few for a test dive, just swing by the house sometime. They're on the desk in the dive room and the house key is in it's usual spot.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

FlyinV wrote:I ordered one of these (because of this thread) and its a nice backup light.

Thanks for reminding me of the split ring. I've done that before with lights that had too small a diameter laynard hole. I've found the split ring was durable than at least one of my back-up lights...
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

So figured people may be curious, made up a cheap goodman handle for my DRIS light just now. It was quick and dirty, but I just wanted to see if it'd work. I think I'll try it again and take a little more care with the bends and cuts next time. All in all, took me about an hour messin around in garage. It's a piece of 1/8" AL bent to shape on my vice with a mallet, hooked to a 2" piece of 1 1/4" PVc. I cut a strip out and then taped it into the bottom to use as a spacer and it seems to for pretty well! I think with a little extra TLC and a pain job it could look decent...ImageImage
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Just ordered mine - hopefully it will be here in time for a good back up light for Sitka!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

DRIS has a shorty version of that light now too.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Tom Nic wrote:Just ordered mine - hopefully it will be here in time for a good back up light for Sitka!
Tom if your light does not arrive you can borrow mine. I have the 500 the 1000 and now the 1000 shorty and you just might find that you want the shorty for a primary rather than a backup. I have been very impressed with my light
Herb
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Alaska-Herb wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Just ordered mine - hopefully it will be here in time for a good back up light for Sitka!
Tom if your light does not arrive you can borrow mine. I have the 500 the 1000 and now the 1000 shorty and you just might find that you want the shorty for a primary rather than a backup. I have been very impressed with my light
Herb
Thanks Herb - I really appreciate it and am interested in comparing the lights. I am assuming that the shorties are identical except for shorter burn time?

Again, I just want a good back up - my Dusty light will be happily doing the duty of my primary!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I also have a 10% off code...

LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

thefeve wrote:Image

I like your idea, mind if I copy it and do something along those lines for mine? I got my light for my birthday but have had a chance to dive it yet. I will admit I tried it out in the hot tub though. I couldn't help myself...I had to get it wet. I pointed it at the bottom of my tub which is a light blue color and it completely lit up the brown canopy overhead like it was daylight. I can't wait to get it in the water on a dive.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

These are great lights. We did a night dive here in Cozumel and someone else on the boat said they saw our light and just decided to follow us around. And battery life is good. I've never had a light that I could really see in the daytime in the Carribean, but you can this one.

Brian
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

I was showing this setup to a buddy of mine and he came up with a suggestion I thought I would run by everyone here. He was asking about putting a bigger piece of PVC on the aluminum bracket without cutting it and filling the void with something like foam pipe insulation. The type you would wrap around your water pipes in the winter time. What do you guys think? Would the foam insert cause any issues or be degraded by salt water.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Mine just arrived today!

That is a beefy little light - it would make a great weapon!

And mine had a little lanyard! :)

I will take it for a spin or two this week!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The foam filler wouldn't be a very good idea. That stuff compresses really quick with depth. How much clearance is there? How about using bicycle inner tube. It's non slip and not effected by saltwater.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I just got my DRIS 1k shorty yesterday, and diving it tomorrow. My usual backup light is a light-for-me backup tec XML which so far has pretty much outshown anything (other than canisters) I've tested against until now. The DRIS light has a brighter hotspot, but does have more spill then my lfm light w/6d beam. The dris is specd at a 9.5d beam which I think is probably close. Runtime will be the interesting part. It's been suggested to get the Sanyo Eneloops (2500ma) for this light.

LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Dusty2 wrote:The foam filler wouldn't be a very good idea. That stuff compresses really quick with depth. How much clearance is there? How about using bicycle inner tube. It's non slip and not effected by saltwater.
Dam!!! That falls smack dab in to the, "No $h*t Sherlock" category doesn't it Dusty? I should have thought of that huh? I don't have the PVC yet so I will think this one out a bit more.

Thanks