your opinion on the best shop, please!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

I'm having problems up north here trying to find gear (hopefully from one spot) to rent or rent to own, like at the shop on Evergreen in Everett. He seems pretty limited on stock, so finding something that is comfortable is getting pretty difficult. I don't really want to head all the way to Olympia just to check out equipment, so your best recommendations would be nice. Maybe where the ladies or wives of some of the guys get their stuff.

Thanks in advance, folks!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: your opinion on the best shop, please!

Post by WylerBear »

You might want to check out the Dive shop Reviews on www.pnwscuba.com.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Emilyrc wrote:I'm having problems up north here trying to find gear (hopefully from one spot) to rent or rent to own, like at the shop on Evergreen in Everett. He seems pretty limited on stock, so finding something that is comfortable is getting pretty difficult. I don't really want to head all the way to Olympia just to check out equipment, so your best recommendations would be nice. Maybe where the ladies or wives of some of the guys get their stuff.

Thanks in advance, folks!
Adventures Down Under in Bellingham is a great shop.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

Man ... what an open ended question!

Every shop has fans and enemies and every diver has favorites. We can all give you stories of what we think is the best of the best as well as who is the devil's workshop. The best shop for you is the one that is closest to you that will take care of you to YOURsatisfaction.

Since you are unhappy with your local shop, just travel a little to the next closest ones and see for yourself which one you like. After all, once you find one you want to work with, you will have to travel there from that point on.

Good hunting!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I love Evergreen but have to agree...they have some of the worst stock around.

I'd attend/visit a Wednesday night tweek dive and ask people for suggestions. Many of them will have gear you can try out.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Like Ray sez, The best shop is the one where you fit in. It's more about comfort and a feeling of family. Few shops are perfect. I sincerely believe you will be very hard put to find one. I don't live in the north end so I'm pretty lost to recommend a shop that would fit you. No shop is going to have all that you want or need on hand especially for women and all shops will try to convince you that what they do have is the best. For me it's just a feeling. If I feel comfortable in a shop I will tend to buy there. If I don't I'm gone and probably won't be back.

I have to agree with Ray that it's best to just cruise around and check out the vibes. If your new and not up on what things cost and what is right for you I would advise you to connect with some of the women on the board and take advantage of their knowledge. Come on out to the club dive and get acquainted.

My biggest recommendation,,,,, If your new or don't have allot of knowledge of gear and such DON'T make major purchases on a shops recommendation alone. Talk to more experienced divers and people who don't look at you as a potential sale.

That's my 2 psi
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I've made some edits.

Personal attacks on individuals are not appropriate. If you dislike a particular shop, simply do not choose to recommend it.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Emily, what gear are you having trouble finding that works for you? Drysuit? Wetsuit? BC? (those are the only things I can think of where "fit" is an issue)
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Emily, you didn't say where you're located, but since you're using Evergreen I'm going to assume it's in the north end. Since it's rental gear you're looking for, go check out Bubbles Below in Woodinville. I haven't used that store for a long time, but I do recall that the store stocks better than average rental equipment ... and back when I was living up north and going in there regularly they had an annual sale on rental gear so that it never got too worn out and shabby (and you can get some great deals on good used equipment if he's still having those sales).

If you're looking further south, head over to Tacoma Scuba ... I use this store regularly for student equipment and know that the quality of what they offer for rental gear is quite good. I've also used Federal Way UWS on occasion for student gear and been quite happy with the selection and function of their rental equipment.

Every store has its pluses and minuses ... be it the type of equipment they carry, prices, or just the personalities and attitudes of the people who own/work for the establishment. Only by going to the shop yourself can you draw any conclusions about what works for you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Fed Way UWS and Tacoma Scuba are my personal go to places... David (UWS) and Josh (Tacoma) are both great people to deal with. Helpful and informative.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Up here in the north end I would second Adventures Down Under in Bellingham. Ron is a great guy AND the prices there are very reasonable. I paid less for my custom DUI suit than I could find a stock size on the internet. Fills are the cheapest in town.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

I took my class out of ADU with Andrew last summer. I like Ron. I'm heading up there today, and hope I can at least get some rental equipment for a day or two. I'm just hoping his rentals are better than his class gear....

Thanks for that website, too. I came across it one time, but my phone didn't want to find it. I may head south by myself (not without the family...) this afternoon so there's no distractions.