Advice on a drysuit

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Advice on a drysuit

Post by Jeff2Dive »

Hi all. I need some advice on buying a new drysuit. :dontknow: I would like to stay below the 3k mark, and would prefer a shell over neoprene. Quality and durability are the important factors I want out of a suit. While I have an apollo it doesnt fit me well and is fairy uncomfortable at depth, and without a proper undergarment its not terribly easy to get into. I've been leaning toward the DUI CLx450, but dont want to trade one set of problems for another #-o for the cost.

I'm curious what you have and why you like it or chose it over another suit. That and 2psi of what you think would be good.

:thankyouyellow:
Novice
Dive-aholic

Re: Advice on a drysuit

Post by Novice »

I have a DUI CLX450 that I have been diving over a year. Have 50+ dives on it. It is a great suit, no problems durable still looks new, no leaks. Dries faster than my buddies CF200 but I won't knock that suit. His is 10+ years old and has hundreds of dives and is holding up well.

I paid 2200 for a custom fit CLX450 at my LDS so the fit is not an issue and that is right in your budget.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

2400$ for Whites Fusion, user replaceable seals, rock boots, hood, gloves, carry bag, MK3 undergarment. Front zipper so self donning.

Mine was the Bullet skin. Fusions are sort of a 2 part drysuit, the inside is a thin shell just to seal, outside shell is a skin (replaceable) (Sport tech, Bullet) that protects the suit.

If you dont mind sort of a squeezy feeling, but want awesome flexibility, its a great suit. They are super easy to manage the bubble (there barely is one unless you seriously fill it). I got mine right out of OW, no "dry suit" class required, as they are very easy to dive, you throw enough air to just take away the squeeze .
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

I just finished my OW a couple weeks ago, so don't have much experience.

But I did take my OW and DrySuit in a Whites Fusion Sports. Seemed like a great suit, as they were pretty much brand new, around 20-30 dives. From what my LDS said about them is the inner lining is very flexible and is used in most of the sizes, but the exterior is tailored to the size stated. (please correct if that statement if wrong).

I liked it alot, but did feel a bit weird not used to the squeezing effect. Easy movement through out the class and 6 dives that I dove with it. Easy valves.

Though not having much experience with dives and/or different types of dry suits, I personally found the self donning zipper a bit rought, to open and close completely. But my instructor was using his personal (Techinical) and was able to self don without any problems. I was mosting worried about not wrecking the zipper, was tough to start and finish (for me at least.) Using the zipper from shoulder to shoulder must just need getting used to it.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

New drysuit zippers tend to be stiff ... unless they're those new TiZips, in which case you just have to remember to tug hard to close that last 1/4" or so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

The biggest factor of all is the FIT. It has to fit right. Too many divers focus on the "Brand Name" cause that's what everybody is using mainstream. There are other cheaper choices that would last as long, and many divers can vouch for this. One has to consider that factor as to, how hard are you on your suit when you dive, or for that particular matter, on any other dive equipment you have? Are you very meticulous in zipping your suit, as opposed to other divers who just zip their suit like they are zipping a duffel bag? So, with that said, was it really the suit, or was it the user? A lot of factors fall into place. For me, it has to be the right fit where mobility is not compromised. The rest is just aesthetics.

Good luck on you drysuit hunt Jeff.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I have a DUI TLS350 and CLX 50/50 (CF bottoms and CLX top) and a few friends with FLX Extremes..

I love my TLS, its super light and travels well and also dries in minutes. I really do like the warmth of CF material and durability of the CLX material though!

- TLS = super light, dries fast, fairly durable, travels very well, not very warm, excellent range of motion.
- CF = heavy, takes long to dry, very durable, very warm, doesnt travel well, range of motion little less
- CLX = medium weight, dries quick, super durable, not as warm, travels ok-ish, range of motion kinda in between
- FLX Extreme - very light, dries fast, very durable, travels well, not as warm, excellent range of motion

If i had to buy again, I'd go for a FLX Extreme.

PM me if you are looking at DUI suits and I can send you towards a couple of stores that will take VERY good care of you.

Another brand that is very worth having a look at is the SANTI brand. I dove their suits when they were out here for demo days and I REALLY liked their stuff.

It will be a very tough choice between DUI and SANTI when I buy my next suit.

They have a brand new suit called the E-Motion. Its a very unique suit thats as light as a FLX Extreme, but has some stretch and very durable. they have a new age "plastic" zipper with an amazing (i think 3 year) gaurentee on the zip.. that zip is almost worth the price of the suit! So, I would look at them too.

Another bigger thing you have to also keep in mind is the undergarment.. For all practical purposes a drysuit is only a plastic or neoprene waterproof bag and its sole purpose is to keep you DRY.. the undergarment is supposed to keep you WARM..

Have a look at 4th Element's HALO 3D, SANTI 400gram or newer DUI XM450.. those are about the warmest stuff I've worn and they have good range of motion.

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

+1 on White's Fusion, although it's my first and only drysuit. I have good range of motion, and they're designed to fit a wide range of people instead of being custom fit. Think of an oversize trash bag that is sucked tight by a super stretchy over-suit and you'll get the idea. It's self donning, which is cool, and I've only had one issue with the bubble on my first ever drysuit dive. After that, it's been terrific.

I also got the replaceable wrist and neck seals, wich let me use dry-gloves that just stretch over the wrist rings, but I have a hard time getting my big melon out of the neck seal. The hard ring it attaches to is just small enough to catch on my nose when coming off, kind of like getting your head stuck in the stair railing as a kid.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

I apprecate it all. Fit is a key factor as culterboy pointed out.

[quote="Jeff Pack"]2400$ for Whites Fusion, user replaceable seals, rock boots, hood, gloves, carry bag, MK3 undergarment. Front zipper so self donning.

Mine was the Bullet skin. quote]

I was taking a look at Whites. My first impression was wow the material will snag on prettymuch anything - although I think it was just the normal skin, and havent seen it in action. Curious what you think of the bullet skin?
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Approaching 200 dives on the BARE HD Tech Dry TriLam front entry Very tough and durable, love the ATR ( Automatic Torso Release ) design. I have never dove anything else so not alot to compare to. Custom fit, lifetime warranty on seams. Have never had 1 problem with it, still on the original seals and zippers. The Neo/latex neck seal is very comfortable and easy don / doff.

Cant say enough good about it. Not 1 complaint !
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
viperwsu
Frequent Bubbler

Post by viperwsu »

I have the Bullet skin. Haven't snagged anything.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I own two Fusions, and I've used the Sport, Tech and Bullet skins.

First off, the suits are incredibly hard to damage. The system works the way the manufacturer says it does -- you catch the outer skin on something, it stretches and eventually lets go, and the waterproof bag underneath remains unhurt. My first Fusion had about 450 dives on it when the zipper failed (which is not an unusual dive count for a zipper) and I had had three leaks in it. One I created when I put the p-valve in. One occurred when the bolts on my doubles grabbed the suit when I fell off a dive boat in Florida (can't really blame the suit for that -- I think any suit on earth would have torn), and one was a mystery leak. But that's an awfully good track record for a suit that got hauled around the world and dived in some gnarly conditions (crawling on limestone, anybody?).

Second, the ability to change out your own seals is fantastic. You can do that with DUI suits, if you get ZipSeals, but then you have to buy DUI Zipseals to swap out. If you are someplace where you can't find them when you blow a seal, you're SOL. The Whites/SiTech system allows the use of ANY seal, including the silicone ones. And it works -- You really can swap out a seal in about ten minutes, with only a little profanity involved.

Third, the ability to avoid a custom cut for a good fit is worth a LOT. Custom suits are a headache, and I don't care what company you order them from. The Fusion's unique approach to fitting means no custom, and none of the issues of a suit that doesn't fit.

For my money, the Tech skin is the best. The Sport is very light and dries almost as fast as a trilam, but you have to use X-shorts if you want pockets. That's not a horrible thing, until you forget to put them on until you're all geared up . . . The Tech skin pockets have their issues, but they work, and you can get quite a bit in them. In warmer water where you don't need gloves, they're no problem at all. The Bullet skin requires special rinsing (you have to get the rinse water in between the skin and the bag, which means taking the Velcro apart). It's heavy, dries slowly, and restricts the diver's mobility -- which is one of the most delightful parts of the Fusion suit!

There are cheaper suits out there. The ScubaPro neoprene suit, at $1000 for suit and undergarment, is a fantastic deal. Dive Right In Scuba has what I think is a USIA suit for even less, and still under $1000 with pockets. It's a bilam, which means less durable, but it's very inexpensive.

The new Santi suit, with the TiZip zipper and the stretch material, looked really nice when I saw it at the Tacoma Expo. But Santi's suits aren't inexpensive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

I got to say I'm not crazy about pockets. Curious if optional on DUI

FLX Extreme strikes the right note save the price, but for the quality I would eat it. The fusion is quite appealing though for the fit and mobility. Does the bullet skin trap air between the layers? And post dive... does it trap water between the layers?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I dive the bullet, no air trapped there.

I dunk all my gear in salt away, and then rinse in fresh water. No issues with salt crystals yet, and I'm in about 80 dives with it now.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

You pay more for pockets. they are optional. but I would highly recommend them. you can stow SMB's, finger spools, notes/slates/masks/lights/etc. etc. in there. keeps having to "clip off" clutter on your BCD if you can neatly stow them in a pocket.

DUI has the option of getting a bellows pocket that has bungees on the inside I think the SANTI as well, so you clip all your stuff on the bungees and stow them.. when you open the pocket you can take everything out, they all are clipped to bungee loop.. you flip through the stuff like a swiss army knife, find what you want, and stuff the rest back.. very handy :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

I didn't really think about that. Pockets would be easier to access certin items, I'll deffinately consider it :notworthy:
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

I’m all so looking to get a dry suit im kind of in between a TLS350 and a CLX450 i will have to try them both out in aug when
http://www.dui-online.com/2012_demo_tou ... ?sort=12WA
what I’m worried about is that i might get a transferred to Hawaii in about a year and I don’t want to waste money one a suit if i have to move
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

squid509 wrote: what I’m worried about is that i might get a transferred to Hawaii in about a year and I don’t want to waste money one a suit if i have to move
By used if you feel confident enough to determine drysuit condition and fit. You may not get exactly what you want but you'll also learn a lot more just by having one. Then upgrade with more confidence if you end up staying.

My mantra - I like everything about a shell suit out of the water. I prefer (quality compressed) neoprene in the water.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I have the Bare SB and I love the suit even though I had a rough start. make sure you get measured accurately and take your time to get the right size. I would also say that BARE is very great on their customer service and never questioned the problems I was having. The Bare SB will run you under the $3000 and even though I think the VEST is part of the whole package I have not used mine much. It also makes for a tighter fit in the suit and definitely changes my weighting needs if I wear it. My suit does not have many dives on it so I cannot say anything about durability but the stretchy fabric definitely helps someone like me who has girth issues. I can don my fins with no problems.

NOTE it has one integrated pocket on the left side large enough for a spare mask or what ever you wish to put there.

If you are ever at a thursday dive I would be glad to show you mine. I am out of diving for a couple weeks though.
Jeff Castor
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

What I dont get about Whites is how well they market their product but only warrant it for 2 years :nutty: / 3 on the fuision I think because it has welded seams.

DUI warrants 7 years

Bare: Lifetime - transferable

What does that say about a companys product of how long they're willing to stand behind its workmanship? Just an additional factor in choosing a product, customer support not withstanding.
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

fmerkel wrote: I like everything about a shell suit out of the water. I prefer (quality compressed) neoprene in the water.
Why do you say that?
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I have a bare techdry the one with the front zipper and i love it. I have only 20ish dives on it but have no problem getting in and out of it by my self. And the two pockets are more then big enought to put what ever you want in them. Very flexible great suit was under 1100 in my hand including pockets and the alteration of the legs and arms.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I have owned 4 drysuits: Henderson Neoprene (I'll never buy another neoprene suit), DUI CF 200 (bulletproof, sold it after I moved to Hawaii), Bare HD Tech Pro (ordered a custom suit that never fit well, even after I sent it back to the factory twice) and a Pinnacle Freedom (nice suit, but "shrunk in the sun"). I have just ordered a CLX 450... I'll let you know how it is when I get it.
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

While the Bare Techdry is a very nice suit, the turnoff for me is the built in boots, which traps air and limits the amount of insulation if you want an extra pair of socks. Also makes takes up more room in the rubbermaid tub.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff2Dive wrote:
fmerkel wrote: I like everything about a shell suit out of the water. I prefer (quality compressed) neoprene in the water.
Why do you say that?
Shell suits are nice and light with (potentially) great freedom of movement. They also provide no insulation.
Compressed neoprene suits are heavy as hell on land. But my CF200 is the warmest suit I've ever owned by far. Way warmer than my old Apollo neo, my Northern diver, Diving concepts, or HOG shells. And its tough as nails. I've never been happy with a suit until now.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.