Say What?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Say What?

Post by pogiguy05 »

Now I am trying to understand he is selling his LIFT bag that he used for SOLO dive cert?

Is it me or WHAT do you lift during SOLO dive training? I am confused :smt064

I guess I could have posted the link :BDub: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/3189805186.html
Jeff Castor
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Re: Say What?

Post by eliseaboo »

Looks like it's one of those SMBs that also doubles as a lightweight lift bag.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

pogiguy05 wrote:Now I am trying to understand he is selling his LIFT bag that he used for SOLO dive cert?

Is it me or WHAT do you lift during SOLO dive training? I am confused :smt064

I guess I could have posted the link :BDub: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/3189805186.html
Yeah, I seen that. Wasn't sure what that meant, but did snicker about it.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Not sure why, but the SDI Solo Diver certification requires a reel and a lift bag of at least 25lb

If there are any SDI instructors around here, they might be able to give more details.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

eliseaboo wrote:Looks like it's one of those SMBs that also doubles as a lightweight lift bag.
+1. Could also be used as a redundant buoyancy device if necessary.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

the SDI solo diving course has a lift bag and spool as safety equipment for making your own "up line" if you cant find your way back to the regular upline when solo diving a wreck or boat.

also a marking your position surface support incase of emergency and all that regular stuff. when you solo dive, but have surface support.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Being that it is 5 feet long, I would say, its primary purpose is as an SMB... misnomer on his part.

I didn't pay too much mind to it in Washington, but here in Florida, I damn sure make it a point to have an SMB and a spool or reel with me on every dive.

Granted, there is no better to way to not be hit by a boat than to be out of it's way in the first place, but having a 6-8 foot marker on the surface, when you are on the surface, does a lot to ensure boaters can see you (especially the guy driving the live boat for you).
Jeff2Dive
Avid Diver

Post by Jeff2Dive »

I have an inflateable neon orage signal/safety tube for that that rolls up nicely and is stored in my bc. I think it's about 7' long something like that, so as if I'm caught by the current out into open water of the puget sound I can atleast be seen.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

pensacoladiver wrote:Being that it is 5 feet long, I would say, its primary purpose is as an SMB... misnomer on his part.

I didn't pay too much mind to it in Washington, but here in Florida, I damn sure make it a point to have an SMB and a spool or reel with me on every dive.

Granted, there is no better to way to not be hit by a boat than to be out of it's way in the first place, but having a 6-8 foot marker on the surface, when you are on the surface, does a lot to ensure boaters can see you (especially the guy driving the live boat for you).
... or it makes you a slalom marker for jet skiers ... :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/