Bottom Timers - Recommendations, Please

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Bottom Timers - Recommendations, Please

Post by Tom Nic »

Would like to add a bottom timer to my stable of gear. What do you like and why?

Simplicity, readability, and price are what is most important to me at this point. Should there be other things I need to consider?

Thanks in advance!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Bottom Timers - Recommendations, Please

Post by LCF »

I have to say that, once you go OLED, you won't go back . . . especially for those of us of a certain age. The Liquivision Xen, now that they have worked out all the early bugs, is one nice piece of equipment.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The UWATEC is about $200, has average depth and temp, logs the last 10 dives, they never seem to leak or have "issues", and battery lasts for 10+ years.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Uwatec has a long history as a reliable BT. The batteries last forever, it has big numbers and it is cheap.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

As nice as an OLED screen is, personally, I don't think the Xen is worth $500.

If its just a backup device, I would either look at the Uwatec or a cheap computer that you could put into gauge mode.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hard to beat the uwatec.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Do they still make these? Where do you buy them? Yes, I'm aware you can buy them used on ebay. I don't want one, just curious...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

diverden wrote:Do they still make these? Where do you buy them? Yes, I'm aware you can buy them used on ebay. I don't want one, just curious...
You pretty much need to order the UWATEC from a scubapro dealer. Even "full retail price" they are still a good deal. Then add a DSS bungie mount and you're done for ~$250 total including tax etc.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

I'm not willing to waste more than 30 minutes trying to find one but did here:

You pretty much have to search for "uwatec timer -computer" to get rid of all the Galileo and Aladin noise :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

diverden wrote:I'm not willing to waste more than 30 minutes trying to find one but did here:

You pretty much have to search for "uwatec timer -computer" to get rid of all the Galileo and Aladin noise :)
Be careful you don't accidentally order the metric version. Some of those retailers going through Amazon normally won't ship to the USA, some will. I am pretty sure mine was actually cheaper than that at my LDS. I replaced it just last year after losing one overboard in yellowstone lake (sigh).
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Don't mean to hijack at all, figured this goes along with bottom timer talk.

(disclosure, I'm not DIR)
Would a uwatec bottom timer on a bungee mount mess up a compass (sk7) bungee mounted on the same arm. Reason I ask, I have a wrist computer on one arm and compass on other. It'd be nice to have backup bottom timer and compass on one continuous bungee loop. Does this make sense? Just don't want to screw with compass reading correctly.

Thanks! Anyone else do this?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mancub wrote:Don't mean to hijack at all, figured this goes along with bottom timer talk.

(disclosure, I'm not DIR)
Would a uwatec bottom timer on a bungee mount mess up a compass (sk7) bungee mounted on the same arm. Reason I ask, I have a wrist computer on one arm and compass on other. It'd be nice to have backup bottom timer and compass on one continuous bungee loop. Does this make sense? Just don't want to screw with compass reading correctly.

Thanks! Anyone else do this?
You can put them on the same arm, but don't put 2 DDS boots together on one bungie. You will pull sideways on the bungie holes too much getting them on and off and rip out the holes rather quickly. Use independent boots & bungies so your can take them on and off seperately (and gently).
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

A couple of thoughts on OLED newer BT devices versus the older lcd style.

- You get LARGE display thats elf ilunimated, no need to light it up.
- Readable from virtually any angle (i.e. I scooter and can glance over and see it clearly)
- You get a full featured stop watch feature including manual/auto enable/disable with reset
- You get seconds display or analog seconds
- Resettable average depth.
- Ascend/Descend rate indicators
- multiple views (simple with huge numbers or more complex)
- Alarms for Ascend Rates, Depth, Time.
- You can download your dive profiles to PC and Mac
- The firmware is upgradable
- Batteries are user replaceable, including rechargeable option.
- Units are potted and will never flood, even if battery cage floods.
- It comes bungee ready (dont have to buy extra boot)
- You can manually switch between Metric and Imperial.
- built-in dive logs including dive depth and temp graphs
- Patented no-buttons "tap interface"

If you want to try one to see if its for you, feel free to PM me and we can make a plan for you to dive one and see if its worth the extra dough to you.

Certainly is not for everyone and cheaper alternatives could work very well for you, its up to you to decide if the extra features/benefits outweigh the extra cost.

good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

best,

Koos
Last edited by kdupreez on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Where do they put the elf?
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Blitz wrote:Where do they put the elf?

bottom right hand corner.. its been found that the patented no-buttons "Tap interface" gives the elf a concushion in any other position :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
JayO
Avid Diver

Post by JayO »

When I had trouble reading the LCD on my wrist yet could easly read the OLED on the wrist of my dive buddy 8' away, the answer was a Zen. Aging eyeballs will make decisions for you.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Xen is great. I can't imagine going back.
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

Tom,

I just picked up a uwatec off ebay for $55. DSS boot for $8. Tough to beat and works just fine. You have to watch for them, but they show up frequently and usually go for less than $100.

-Mathue
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Tom i have a g shock watch that has a stop watch on it. Sell it to you cheap
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I got HUGELY busy diving and have not had a chance to get back to this thread.

THANK YOU ALL for awesome, thoughtful, educational, and helpful recommendations / responses (except for Buck's, of course). It is those kind of responses that make NWDC such an awesome place to come for info when you need it.

I was able to solve my equipment issue without an immediate purchase (YAY!), but when I get ready to pull the trigger I will come back to the recommends on this thread.

Thanks again!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman