Best Dry Glove System

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Best Dry Glove System

Post by Gdog »

I am shopping for a new dry glove system. I understand that Si-tech is very popular, but have also heard about the Bare system, and the Dive Concepts system. So I guess what Im looking for is input on these systems, the pros and cons, as well as any system I have not mentioned. I will be installing onto latex seals. So what does everybody think??! :popcorn:
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Best Dry Glove System

Post by Mateo1147 »

I have only seen the Diving Concepts system used and it looked better than my DUI zip seals + dry glove. The diver with them demonstrated the doning and doffing of the glove and even had me tug on the glove once installed to show how well they stayed put. The only down side that he informed me of was keeping the o ring lubed and sand free.
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

I like the "old" style Viking ring system.

The rubber outer ring is bulletproof and if I break the inner plastic ring I can make a new one out of PVC. They are easy to take apart and put back on and the gloves are easy to put on just pull on over the ring and go dive.

Mike
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I like Diving concepts. I had a bear installed system and it frequently leaked. The diving concepts system can be a lot harder to remove but it seldom ever leaks
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

I've loved the Diving Concepts system for years; in fact, I have the rings on my DUI suit, even though the suit has zip seals on it. I just put some heavy duty seals onto the DC ring and went from there.

Pros:
  • Bulletproof. Tough plastic, has never leaked unless it's been my own stupidity when I've pinched fabric in the o-ring
  • Any gloves fit. I've used the DC gloves, Neoprene gloves with a inner wrist seal, fisherman's gloves (blue, orange), and once a pair of dishwashing gloves, but that was unpleasant...
  • You can even do an emergency wrist seal replacement by slipping a pair of latex wrist seals on the ring and dive wet. You don't even need the glove side of the ring to do that.
  • Easy on-off - they just "pop" into place, and they pop off with a twist... but you gotta keep the o-ring greased or it can be hard with cold hands to get them off
Cons:
  • Changing gloves will test the vocabulary of swear words you know. It's a two person job, and you either need to make a tool with a piece of PVC pipe, or use "A" clamps to help get the new glove seated on the glove ring.
  • Putting the wrist rings on the suit can be difficult if you want to maintain the latex seal as a dam. I don't bother, as it's unnecessary, although some people have a thing about having them in case of flooding.
  • They're not cheap. They're definitely the high end of the dry glove ring sets out there.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Love my viking bayonets. Easy to install, easy to don, easy to doff.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I really like the Viking bayonet ring system.

Pros:

Seal install; can be put on or taken off the suit in less than five minutes.
Can use a wide variety of gloves from different sources. Field swap of a holed glove is trivial.
Positive lock system, developed for hazmat diving, means no possibility of a popoff, and leaks are rare if you keep them clean.

Cons:

I understand that there are some people with very large hands who have problems with the ring size.
If you close the rings too far, it can be difficult to get them back open to get the gloves off.
They aren't cheap.

I also have the SiTech Quick Glove system. My rings are permanently mounted on the suit, and I don't know if a seal mounted option exists. I can't take the rings off, which I don't like. The system does permit the use of a variety of gloves, and changing gloves is the same as with the Vikings.

The big con with this system is that you have to be exquisitely careful when docking the gloves on the suit, that you don't pinch the o-ring (which will happen if the glove side isn't pushed almost perfectly straight into the suit side). I've had a LOT of leaks with this system.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

The cure for the SI tech is found in their video. Once you get the gloves set, you unscrew the gloves again around 3/4 turn, re-seat, and you are golden.

I havent had a leak in mine now for 80 dives following this.

I do have to lube mine just a bit,as they are a seriously hard biatch to get on otherwise.

I do wish with my whites I could remove the ring/cuffs though, those things are seriously huge. I need to build a small block for my goodman handle to raise the lighthead up abit to clear them..
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

If you want to try the diving concepts system out George, give me a yell I'll set you up and you can give them a go for a couple weeks. I've sold every system I can think of and have used most of them.... I'm a big fan of the diving concepts glove system and I've had them installed on my suits for nearly 10 years with 0 problems... I've installed them on at least 50 suits... replaced many bare, sitech, viking and dui systems with them and have yet to have anyone that was not happy with them and as far as I know no 1 has reverted back to the previous system they were using
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

+1 on the Diving Concepts Snap On glove system.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

You LOVE being "that guy." Admit it.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

It's true, though I do try to restrain myself.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thanks for being "that guy". I should have searched the question before just throwing it out there. I stand corrected Mr. Spatman. But, thanks anyway to all that responded, weird how the answers posted in this thread all line up with the 4 previous threads pointed out by our Moderator! I think Im interested in the Diving Concepts. Waynne, I will give you a call later today when I can.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I didn't mean to correct you, Gdog. Just wanted to point you to more information about drygloves.
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

camerone wrote: [*]Changing gloves will test the vocabulary of swear words you know. It's a two person job, and you either need to make a tool with a piece of PVC pipe, or use "A" clamps to help get the new glove seated on the glove ring.
Thats what i thought at first too, and indeed it took me a LONG time (even with the tool)
But now I have a way to very easily replace the gloves with just a single person ....no tool.

there is a video on u-toob (I forgot the link) that kind of shows you but ..... the key is a little bit of that UV Tech spray .... makes a huge world of difference !!!!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

No worries, Spatman. I wasnt ribbing you. And props to Waynne, I hit up his shop on Saturday, Capital Divers, and he sold and installed Diving Concepts drygloves on my drysuit. He was very thorough in explaining every step, including his pvc tool. I dove the suit with these dry gloves 3 dives this weekend, and I really like them. I can see where all the comments concerning them come from, good and not so good. But I am completely happy with them. As far as Im concerned, I got what I was looking for, and Waynne was awesome in helping me. Thanks to all, and thanks to you Waynne!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I'm glad your likin' em G!..... it was really nice to see you two again.... I'm still flat floored at the deal you got on that drysuit... holy crap!.
It's an incredibly simple glove system and I hope it serves you as well as it has all of us who've been using them for about 10 years now. I hope you feel comfortable being able to remove and reinstall them if you encounter any problems, if not.. you got my number.. feel free to use it anytime day or night.
I am going to have to hunt around for that video that limeyx is talking about, i've installed dozen's and dozen's with no tool and I never did figure out how to "very easily replace the gloves with just a single person ....no tool"..... It would be so awesome if even a bonehead like me could do that!!!!....

On the hunt!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
I am going to have to hunt around for that video that limeyx is talking about, i've installed dozen's and dozen's with no tool and I never did figure out how to "very easily replace the gloves with just a single person ....no tool"..... It would be so awesome if even a bonehead like me could do that!!!!....

On the hunt!
I am a definite mechanical bonehead :)
I will look for the video .... basically what i ended up doing was put the O-ring in the gloves, and wrap the glove around it then put the hard plastic thingy in.

BUT the trick is, before you assemble it put some UVTech liqud on the wrist part of the glove. Not too much.
This enables a single person to install the glove. It probably wont be "level" but once its on, the UVTech lets you re-adjust very easily.

There are two "directions" to attack the glove.
1) The obvious and a little painful way
2) The non-obvious virtually pain-free way

This *may* only work well with Atlas-brand gloves. I had some no-namers that seemed a little less flexible. I think I could have made it work but using the Atlas branded ones was much easier.

It's kind of harder to describe than do. The video i found, the guy uses his desk as the second person, but this was not necessary for me ....
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

limeyx wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:

On the hunt!
I will look for the video .... basically what i ended up doing was put the O-ring in the gloves, and wrap the glove around it then put the hard plastic thingy in.

BUT the trick is, before you assemble it put some UVTech liqud on the wrist part of the glove. Not too much.
This enables a single person to install the glove. It probably wont be "level" but once its on, the UVTech lets you re-adjust very easily.

This *may* only work well with Atlas-brand gloves. I had some no-namers that seemed a little less flexible. I think I could have made it work but using the Atlas branded ones was much easier.

It's kind of harder to describe than do. The video i found, the guy uses his desk as the second person, but this was not necessary for me ....
I just sacrificed a fingernail to the Diving Concepts glove replacement gods yesterday. I'd like to see that video, too.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

Joshua Smith wrote:
limeyx wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:

On the hunt!

I just sacrificed a fingernail to the Diving Concepts glove replacement gods yesterday. I'd like to see that video, too.
The video I found was only used for "inspiration" I couldn't actually do it the way the guy shows (maybe because he used the orange gloves ?)

I'd make my own instructional video but I'll have to call my booking agent first ... :) heh heh

I just searched the toob for something like "DC Dry glove replacement" and got a vid of some guy sitting at his office desk....
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

limeyx wrote: The video I found was only used for "inspiration" I couldn't actually do it the way the guy shows (maybe because he used the orange gloves ?)

I'd make my own instructional video but I'll have to call my booking agent first ... :) heh heh

I just searched the toob for something like "DC Dry glove replacement" and got a vid of some guy sitting at his office desk....
There was a sticky thread on DMX.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/J_JWR09pf8A[/youtube]
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

renoun wrote:
limeyx wrote: The video I found was only used for "inspiration" I couldn't actually do it the way the guy shows (maybe because he used the orange gloves ?)

There was a sticky thread on DMX that referred to the existence of a thread onDeco Stop.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

renoun wrote:

There was a sticky thread on DMX.
...this is "using tool" which is fine, but I don't have a tool so I had to do it "not using tool" which there is actually a video for on youtoob but I cannot access that from here....
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

limeyx wrote:
The video I found was only used for "inspiration" I couldn't actually do it the way the guy shows (maybe because he used the orange gloves ?)

You talking about this one?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/90h9fXTh4B4[/youtube]
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.