Newbie questions about gear

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
cofford
Aquaphile

Re: Newbie questions about gear

Post by cofford »

Personally, I love the negative Faber HP100s. They are -7 lbs empty. With a steel plate and a TLS350, I only wore 12lbs of weight on my belt, vs 23 for an AL80. Pretty sweet setup IMO. Wish I still had them.
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I still have two HP100 tanks for sale. Both current hydro one has current VIP one needs VIP. $200 each.
Here they are:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350435087.778351.jpg
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

ORDiver wrote:I still have two HP100 tanks for sale. Both current hydro one has current VIP one needs VIP. $200 each.
Here they are:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350435087.778351.jpg
That's an amazing deal! Wish I had the money, I have 2 hp 100's and love them!!
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

So, I am almost completely set up with my basic gear and just down to the little things and figuring out some details.
Here is today's question- Accessories like flashlight, writing slate, camera, etc.... where do they go??
I bought a BP/W style BCD and it has plenty of rings to attach stuff and 2 weight pockets, but no storage pockets.
I couldn't imagine having a bunch of stuff hanging off me like a christmas tree. What do people do for storage?
Did some looking around for accessory harness pockets but didn't find much beyond "weight pockets".
My flashlight is fairly small (UK SL-4) with a clip-on retractor, camera housing for my Canon A-80 isn't too huge (although I won't be bringing this along until I have more dive experience), and the writing slate seems like a good idea for someone like me with a lot of questions.

Thanks!
Chris
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

The light on the lanyard is the only way to do that, to streamline it look into a hand mount can light, ie, a "Dusty light" he's on here as Dusty2 he makes a can light that mounts to the back of your hand. I clip the slate on the bottom left d ring near my waist on a retractor so I can write on it right handed. as a photographer you almost have to have a hand mount light, due to both hands on camera. as for storage, there are cargo pouches you can get for your BC, ive seen them at "Tacoma Scuba" but i like the cargo pockets mounted on most good dry suits.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Awesome! But only available in size small currently
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

Success!
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/XSSCP.html

Currently out of stock, but I put it on a wish-list.
Worse comes to worse, the thrift stores are full of fanny-packs I could re-purpose! Hmm...... :partydance:
399894.jpg
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

greenacarina wrote:So, I am almost completely set up with my basic gear and just down to the little things and figuring out some details.
Here is today's question- Accessories like flashlight, writing slate, camera, etc.... where do they go??
I bought a BP/W style BCD and it has plenty of rings to attach stuff and 2 weight pockets, but no storage pockets.
I couldn't imagine having a bunch of stuff hanging off me like a christmas tree. What do people do for storage?
Did some looking around for accessory harness pockets but didn't find much beyond "weight pockets".
My flashlight is fairly small (UK SL-4) with a clip-on retractor, camera housing for my Canon A-80 isn't too huge (although I won't be bringing this along until I have more dive experience), and the writing slate seems like a good idea for someone like me with a lot of questions.

Thanks!
Chris
Hi Chris,

So this is imo a critical junction for you and think you really need to have a chat with someone who dives a BP/W. There is a group that meets every Wednesday night at Cove 2 that can help (the WWW dives...see the dive planning section). Or I'd be happy to meet up with you for a dive and chat about your goals and setup. The MMM group on Monday are also experienced with BP/W and can help.

We're here for you bro...just say the word. ;)

Jeremy
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Jeremy wrote:
greenacarina wrote:So, I am almost completely set up with my basic gear and just down to the little things and figuring out some details.

Thanks!
Chris
Hi Chris,

So this is imo a critical junction for you and think you really need to have a chat with someone who dives a BP/W. There is a group that meets every Wednesday night at Cove 2 that can help (the WWW dives...see the dive planning section). Or I'd be happy to meet up with you for a dive and chat about your goals and setup. The MMM group on Monday are also experienced with BP/W and can help.

We're here for you bro...just say the word. ;)

Jeremy
Wait a minute! There's also the Bubbles and Suds on Wednesday nights. Although, not a lot of people dive with BP/W on the Bubbles and Suds group, but we are a fun group. I too, dive with the MMM group. :supz:
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

The Monday dive fits my work schedule, so I will definitely be down for that in the near future! Sadly I work Wednesday nights and can't do those dives. In a couple days I will find out what my schedule will be for next year, so that may change.
I agree that I am definitely at a critical juncture here, having never used all of this stuff together. I know this BP/W setup will be different than the BCD I used in class and while I'm confident that nothing catastrophic will come of it....I'm sure there will be a learning curve. Plus I will need to get my weight all figured out! From what I understand I should be using less than the 32lbs I had before (stainless backplate, tank plate, and will have steel HP100 tank).
As long as someone is willing to teach, I am always an eager student! :)

Thanks everyone for all the help so far and the further willingness to guide me on the right path!
Chris
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Bro....what are you doing this Monday around 4:00ish? Mukilteo T-dock?

:)
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

Actually, I was just thinking about that. I won't be dive-ready (still waiting on paperwork for my PADI card and getting my tanks next Saturday) but I would love to come down and meet you guys and just get acquainted. Will bring my gear as well so you can see what I'll be diving with, get recommendations (you need more duct tape here, here, and here...), etc....

And of course I loves me some beer at the Diamond Knot! :)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

greenacarina wrote:Actually, I was just thinking about that. I won't be dive-ready (still waiting on paperwork for my PADI card and getting my tanks next Saturday) but I would love to come down and meet you guys and just get acquainted. Will bring my gear as well so you can see what I'll be diving with, get recommendations (you need more duct tape here, here, and here...), etc....

And of course I loves me some beer at the Diamond Knot! :)
Just to be clear, nobody at the MMM dives is a "dive professional". no dm's, no instructors. Every diver is responsible for themselves. We love to help out new divers with gear, or finer points of technique questions though.

I mention this because of your concern about having the proper card. We've had some Warm water "DM leads me" only divers show up with very different expectations about the way things typically work in the sound.

Hope to see you out there.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

My card comment was directed more at my lack of tanks. No card = no rentals or fills.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

greenacarina wrote:My card comment was directed more at my lack of tanks. No card = no rentals or fills.
You used to get a temp card for PADI OW classes, even if that isn't the case you shouldn't have a problem getting fills and gear from the shop that certified you.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

renoun wrote:
greenacarina wrote:My card comment was directed more at my lack of tanks. No card = no rentals or fills.
You used to get a temp card for PADI OW classes, even if that isn't the case you shouldn't have a problem getting fills and gear from the shop that certified you.
Well, the temp card that I've got is the "Scuba Diver" card (due to my previous nostril faux pas). Didn't get a chance to re-fill-out the paperwork for my OW card (been trying to get together with my instructor...sounds like that will happen tonight)
And considering the number of students that cycle through the dive shop where I took lessons...I don't expect the shop employees (they don't do double-duty as instructors...that's a different set of folks) to remember me without presenting the proper card. It's entirely possible that I'm putting too much weight on this and maybe things are more casual than what I was led to believe.
Either way, things are very close to being resolved and I will be on my way to building my dive experience. :)
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Greenacarina

I'd give the shop a call. Once you have met with your instructor and have the paper/temp card in hand there shouldn't be a problem getting some tanks.

And +1 on getting out to see and talk with people about what they dive and why they do things a certain way. The divers who have well thought out answers to these questions is a good place to start.

Jacob
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

mancub wrote:Greenacarina

I'd give the shop a call. Once you have met with your instructor and have the paper/temp card in hand there shouldn't be a problem getting some tanks.

And +1 on getting out to see and talk with people about what they dive and why they do things a certain way. The divers who have well thought out answers to these questions is a good place to start.

Jacob
Well, getting together with my instructor is proving to be a bit of a circus. I am getting pretty frustrated at this point and considering my next step...but that's another topic for another thread. :(

BUT....I did go to Mukilteo last Monday and met some of the awesome folks from this group!! Incredibly helpful and friendly. I am looking forward to diving with you guys in the future. I felt a little guilty being so gabby while everyone was trying get geared up and in the water, but I learned quite a bit and truly appreciate all the info :)

Chris
Daniel379ba
Avid Diver

Post by Daniel379ba »

Well hey if it isnt my old dive partner!
Getting the gear eh?
You should have joined us for advanced open water!
I'll talk to you later,
Daniel
I was born in the water and love being in it.
Its a natural feeling.
(If anyone wants to dive with me voice up, I'm good Tuesday-Thur 3:00+
Monday and Fridays 3-7, Saturdays = Full day or not at all, Sun = 12:00+ )
greenacarina
Avid Diver

Post by greenacarina »

Hi Daniel! Glad you found this group and hope you enjoyed Advanced Open Water. I will end up taking it when my work schedule is more forgiving. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good snorkel for ya!! :)

Chris
Daniel379ba
Avid Diver

Post by Daniel379ba »

greenacarina wrote:Hi Daniel! Glad you found this group and hope you enjoyed Advanced Open Water. I will end up taking it when my work schedule is more forgiving. I'm keeping my eyes open for a good snorkel for ya!! :)

Chris
Haha I got one , sure is a bummer it fell off though!
I was born in the water and love being in it.
Its a natural feeling.
(If anyone wants to dive with me voice up, I'm good Tuesday-Thur 3:00+
Monday and Fridays 3-7, Saturdays = Full day or not at all, Sun = 12:00+ )