Tank rack for a small boat

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Tank rack for a small boat

Post by Alaska-Herb »

OK my new to me boat is in the shop getting re powered and should be ready in just a couple of days. On thing that I have not settled on is the Scuba tank storage system for the boat. The boat is a Parker 17 which has a nice sized deck which should work well for 3 divers or 4 if we were snug. I am looking for something that I can distribute 6 tanks around the boat

I really like the roll control system because it seems to be pretty stable the local dive shop boat had them and I don't believe I ever saw a loose tank. They are a little pricey but I would call it an investment however shipping some folks thing is gold plated and so I am looking for another option.

Can you folks give me your ideas. I thought about taking Highland tank bands to the hard point like the bulkheads what do you think about something like that Do you think that I would have adequate tank control with the tank sitting upright on the deck with one band placed about 5 inches down from the valve? I could do this for what the roll control wants to ship their system to me.

any pictures of DIY methods would be appreciated.,

Thanks
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Tank rack for a small boat

Post by pensacoladiver »

Of the 2 boats I routinely dive off of (mine and buddys), we both have the roll control system. It is the best that I have seen bar none.

It allows the system to be folded down completely out of the way when used and rewuires no deck space. We use the adjustable brackets and set them to a size just bigger than an 8 inch tank. This allows any size tank to be secured very easy as we also have a piece of bungee tied through the tips of the brackets that goes over the top of the tank. We keep the brackets just a bit loose as I have seen them crack and break in cold weather when they are being stretched to fit the tank... only downside that I know of, but easily overcome with bungee.

As far as a cheaper solution, if you are not concerned about deck space when not diving, you could find a piece of plastic, pvc, etc... that is just a bit bigger than your tank boot, secure it to the deck, then use bungee cord from the bulkhead to secure the tops of the tank to the bulkhead.

Many dive boats here use this method, except the holders are on a bench vice secured to the floor (I doubt you have room on your boat to be installing benches).

If you ARE concerned about deck space when not diving, you can always secure the holders to a piece of 2x6 or starboard, or whatever, just drop it in place when needed then pull it out when done. No need to mount it to the floor of the boat. the bungees on the bulkhead will hold everything in place and the weight of the tanks on the 2x6 will be enough.... unless you are motoring through 4 to 6 foot waves, which probably won't happen in a 17 foot boat. :)
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

thanks for the suggestion I actually have used the pipe racks on Fl charter boats and they worked great I was hoping not to take that much permanent space on the deck I also have used the roll control and think that they are nice set up . The cost for the system does not bother me however I hate the thought of spending 180 on the system for 6 tanks and then another 120 for shipping of the 3 lbs of plastic. If I could get a real price on the freight I would go with the roll control.

I am in the real world starting Monday and will have to see what I can pick up and carry on the plane with me.

Any other ideas out there or great places to buy the roll control system
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Sorry if this is a hijack.

I am looking for something to secure tanks in my enclosed trailer when traveling down the road. This, http://www.leisurepro.com/1/2/12623-rol ... black.html is what I came up with when searching "roll control".

Are these secure enough for that use? Can I mount 3 of them on a board of some kind so I can take the whole thing in and out? Then when I need the holders just attach the whole board to the trailer. Is there a better option?
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Nwcid wrote:Sorry if this is a hijack.

I am looking for something to secure tanks in my enclosed trailer when traveling down the road. This, http://www.leisurepro.com/1/2/12623-rol ... black.html is what I came up with when searching "roll control".

Are these secure enough for that use? Can I mount 3 of them on a board of some kind so I can take the whole thing in and out? Then when I need the holders just attach the whole board to the trailer. Is there a better option?
That is the roll control system in question. They are designed to be mounted inside the aluminum track, but you can certainly mount that aluminum track on just about anything you can imagine, including a board, then secure the board inside the trailer.

I assume you are looking for vertical tank storage inside your trailer? If not, you can alwatys build a rack to stack tank on top of for horozontial stroage. I will post a picture of mine.

One last thought... Not sure what the inside of your trailer looks like, but if you have the ability to do it, you could always just run pieces of bungee around/through the trailer stringers at the top and bottom of the tanks to hold them in place. Fast and cheap solution, especially if you don't have to drill any new holes.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350216617.400628.jpg
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

By the way, before I bought my roll control system, the above wooden rack was used many times in my boat. First used lying down with tanks stacked on top, then fianlly, temporarily secured vertically with tanks strapped to it. Not the best solution, but it worked and there are even pictures of it used flat on the deck LOADED with tanks floating around on this board somewhere. lol
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

What I really need is a secure way to store my tanks in the trailer while moving down the road in traffic (possible heavy breaks) or bouncing down the back roads I live on. I would like them mounted vertical to keep them out of the way since we have 6 tanks now.

Currently what I do is just use a ratchet strap and hook them to "eye" rings in my E-Track that runs along the wall. This is very secure but is kind of a pain to deal with. One thing I don't like is the metal to metal rubbing so I cut some rubber pieces to fit between the tank and the track. I might look into the large diameter PVC too.

Here is one of the first pics I took trying out the new UW camera I bought on here so the pic is not the greatest but you can see the inside of the trailer. Normally there are 3 tanks between the trashcan and wheel well and same on the other side under where the folding table is.

John

Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

the roll control system would work great for your application the key factors about it is that it folds flat out of the way when not in use, that is why i am using it, I don't have the deck space that I can dedicate when I don't have tanks on board.

If you are not worried about moving the rack take a piece of plastic pipe the size of your boot and cut it so that about 3 inches is intact around the boot then open up the top 1/2 so about 1/2 the tank is exposed drill a hole and put a bungee loop then secure it to the trailer wall. Drop the tank in and slip the bungee loop around the valve and it will be very secure. I have seen it bounce around and not go anywhere on a boat.
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I had roll control on my Hewescraft. If you are using the same size tanks all the time then they are ok. If you swap tank sizes, put the BC's on the tanks beforehand, dive doubles, etc, then they aren't so great. I'll admit that where I had them mounted was a little low but with the boat design there wasn't much choice.
Dave Mitchell
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I think I am going to look into the pipe first. I can get it local. I can "bolt" 3 together easy. I can find a way to make them quick attach since I will need to take them in and out depending on what I am doing with my trailer.

Hewescraft are great. They are made where I live and my brother works there in customer service.
John

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'm not a fan of the roll control. They're plastic and also don't work with doubles or when BC's are assembled etc. I had an aluminum rack built for me. Bungies hold the valves and a strap around the whole lot holds the midsection of the tank/BC. The strap runs through tabs which are 9" on center. Holds doubles or singles with or without BCs attached. Also holds 8" diameter scooters although the shrouds get in the way of efficient packing.
Attachments
tank rack.jpg
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

I strap dubs with wings attached into the roll control brackets all the time. Just strap the bungees over the valves and all is good to go. If the bungees are big enough, they hold scooters in place very well also.