Local Drysuit Mods

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
HakkTW
Avid Diver

Local Drysuit Mods

Post by HakkTW »

So I have found out that no matter how well you press/roll on, TLS350 and aquaseal just don't get along for hip pockets for more than a couple of dives.

Any suggestions for local place (Tacoma through Everett, preferably Seattle/North) that will sew on pockets to a DUI TLS350 vs sending it to San Diego and stand behind their work.

Thanks
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Local Drysuit Mods

Post by Nwcid »

Tacoma Scuba does awesome work on suits. Not sure if they do pocket though.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

I'm in th exact same boat with the same suit. I ordered a pair of pockets from golem gear and now am lookin at how to get em on. I'm Thinkin about sending it to superior Drysuit repair, as I've heard really good things, but someone local would be really nice as they have a 3 week wait right now...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

thefeve wrote:I'm in th exact same boat with the same suit. I ordered a pair of pockets from golem gear and now am lookin at how to get em on. I'm Thinkin about sending it to superior Drysuit repair, as I've heard really good things, but someone local would be really nice as they have a 3 week wait right now...
Matt, did you call adventures down under? I know they do zippers, might do pockets.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Yah but he just told me to take it somewhere local to see it on as they also outsource it... Then just do the aqua seal myself.

The more I look into it though, the more i think I want someone who knows what they're doing to put em on...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Timo,

Call Silent World. They told me that they send their suits to be sewn to a shop (not an LDS) down in the south end, probably Kent area for stuff like that. Cory at Silent World mentioned to me the name, but I don't remember now.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

coulterboy wrote:Timo,

Call Silent World. They told me that they send their suits to be sewn to a shop (not an LDS) down in the south end, probably Kent area for stuff like that. Cory at Silent World mentioned to me the name, but I don't remember now.

KME - http://www.kmedrysuits.com/repairs.html

I forgot about them since so many people had horror stories from them a few years ago. Maybe they've improved?

**Edit - looked at their pricelist. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sending to Superior, even with shipping, seems like it would save money.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

yah just looked at the prices... that's absurd...
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

+1 to Superior.

Definitely not local, but Mark does incredible work and is very reasonably priced.

While I've generally found his lead times to be reasonable, if it's really urgent, for a fee (~$30 - $50 IIRC), he'll provide same day service, dropping his current projects as soon as he receives your suit, completing it that day or early the next, and shipping same day (or next, if glue needs to dry).
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Nwbrewer wrote:
coulterboy wrote:Timo,

KME - http://www.kmedrysuits.com/repairs.html

I forgot about them since so many people had horror stories from them a few years ago. Maybe they've improved?

**Edit - looked at their pricelist. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sending to Superior, even with shipping, seems like it would save money.
Ouchhhhh! Hell No to those pricing. :pirate:
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

So here's my dilema - TLS350 ~9-10 years old. In great shape, zipper's dry - but needs pockets. The chest is just a WEEE bit tight, but enough so that i can't get the suit over my shoulder without some assistance when i have my undergarment on. Mark said he can add some girth to the chest by adding strips from the bicep to the rib area in the armpit of the suit that should fix the problem... I have pockets to send with the suit, and its 50$/pocket to sew em on. so for ~300$ i could get pockets added and the jacket let out... on a 500$ used suit.

compare that to just selling it and getting a new custom fit Edge for a little bit more (but would still need to add the pockets)... so then you compare the Trilam material, suspenders, turbo souls, protective zipper, with old valves - vs a new edge that would fit correctly, but be a bilam, but with newer si-tech valves, no suspenders... etc...

kinda leaning toward just fixin up the TLS as it seems to be a great suit - just sucks i can't glue pockets on!

Edit* sorry for hijacking a thread too btw :pirate:
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

KME's prices are prohibitive, Sending it to DUI or some out of state place will leave you out of the water for a fair amount of time, and if theirs a problem you'll be without the suit again, for probably a bit longer then the first time I'd imagine.

sooooooo.......... OK.... I'm gonna say it........... X-Shorts! :calvin:

I dig that I never again will have to figure out how to pull a worn out pocket off my suit, or throw a dead suit away with a perfectly good pocket on it... Just sayin'.... I have zero sag problems with them but then I don't carry very much in them, notes, mask, shears, tables, sausage and spool is about it.

Timo (and others) you should give Hoodsport n Dive a call. 360-877-6818.. they've been into DS Repair and mod's for some time and are getting quite good at it. They're turn around times are good, prices fair and they strive to do quality work. I spoke with Travis just a few minutes ago and he said he has some glue designed for trilam/shell suits, he's not done a TLS but feels confident that this stuff he has should work well.... but they have a sewing machine too if the glue won't hold.

It'd be worth the chat anyway.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

One thing to consider is that for glued on pockets it is worth acquiring pockets that have a backing that is larger than the pocket. This avoids having stresses along the edge of the pocket that are ideally suited for failing the glue joint and peeling off the pocket. I know that the DSS pockets are one example but that there are a couple of other sources of such pockets.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

another + 1 for superior diving. I've heard nothing but awesome reviews....
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Yah just talked to Mark, I'm gonna sen it his way. Seems to know what he's doin and should be the best long term solution to get the most out of the suit.

Means ill be back in a wet suit for a couple weeks though! Brrrrr....
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

On another note, - You can't use a sealant (aquaseal) to do the work of an adhesive (contact cement, seal cement, etc). That is part of the problem, TLS is tough to glue to but properly cleaned, we've had good luck using seal cement on DUI pockets to TLS, you just have to do the multiple glue coats on both sides before you stick it down.

If you want it sewed, I'd just find someone with a commercial machine that could stitch it on for you. Then go back inside the suit with several coats of 50/50 Aquaseal/cotol to "Seal" it. Take a look at the factory seams, that is what they do.
Dave Mitchell
Avid Diver

Post by HakkTW »

Sorry, yes. Not aqua seal, used seal cement.
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

ADU in bellingham doesn't 'outsource' his work, he sends it to a local shop to sew, then seals it in shop. I do recall that it foes take a bit to get the suit back from being sewn, however.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

+1 on calling Hoodsport and Dive....