Warm water fins

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Warm water fins

Post by KneeDeep »

Hello all, I recently did some warm water dives with my paddle fins *HOGS). But they were pretty heavy. Those of you who use paddles (Non Split - Scuba, Turtles or other) around here, what do you use for warm water?

Might be looking to get something for warm waters, as the wife and I are heading to Mexico in March and I plan on doing many dives.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Warm water fins

Post by Scubie Doo »

I use Apollo bio-fins. They are split fins so I lose a little finning power. But they work really well. I also threw some spring straps on them and use some light weight booties. I like the security of the booties rather than the barefoot style fins. Nothing wrong with them, I just feel like they are going to fall off :) have a blast in Mexico. And please post a report :)
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Re: RE: Warm water fins

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

I just picked up a pair of the DiveRite EXP fins for the same purpose. They're definitely less buoyant and lighter than my Hollis F1s. I gave them a spin the other day at cove 2 but I'll have to wait to see how they really work next month in Bonaire. They're not super stiff but seemed to work well. They come with spring straps which is nice too.

Others suggested OMS Slipstreams but I was unable to find them in stock anywhere which makes me wonder if they've been discontinued. My partner got some Hollis F2s which are more a travel fin with a more unconventional design but they're an option too.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I'm diggin thee Aqualung Hot Shots for tropical stuff.. they're shorter and lighter which make them pack really well and they've got a ton of thrust still. I thought them gimmicky lil' toys till I got a chance to try a pair... I got a pair as soon as I could after trying them.. Other choices for the tropics that are a good lightweight fin for travel IMO would be the Aqualung Caravelle's. Mare's makes some good light fins that I think should travel well.
Good luck and have a great time on your vacation! Remember to blow some bubbles for those of us at home. :)
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Just make sure you think LIGHT! From my experience the blade fins that we use here are WAY too much fin for tropical diving while wearing a rash shirt, shorts, and BCD. I picked up a little set of split fins that slip on over my feet with no booties. I have dived Jamaica and the Bahamas with these fins and neither place did I wear more than stated above. With some adjusting of the tank I was able to trim out pretty well.
However its just another one of those things. The more you do it the more you will learn what you need to be successful. I want to be a successful tropical diver and do it a lot, but it seems that my reasoning just isn't convincing the wife to buy the tickets...

Coll I have some that I would gladly let you use for your trip.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

A fin that was popular for awhile and seems to gone out of favor, except for a shop in Portland I think, is the odd looking Force Fin. Short, light, highly maneuverable, mildly mildly, and there is an easy retrofit to bungy type straps for the back (like spring straps but cheaper-still work fine). I can easily fit them in carry-on.
I used around here for years until my new drysuit boots forced them into retirement locally. I went Apollo bio and absolutely hated them for a good while. What they gain in swimming efficiency they give up in maneuverability. I tried various blades but mostly dislike them. The Scuba Pro jets loved by the DIR community I could probably live with but not for the tropics, too negative, and too heavy to pack.
The rounded tip up shape does compromise them a bit for snorkeling. You tend to back stroke them right out of the water until you modify your kick.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

I really like the Scuba Pro nova fin they look different and had some issues at the start but they provide with an easy kick with great propulsion I don't use them much unless i am just out finning around the block, but when I do i have been told that I can get moving. They come standard with spring straps and have a nice comfortable foot pocket.
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

KneeDeep wrote:Hello all, I recently did some warm water dives with my paddle fins *HOGS). But they were pretty heavy. Those of you who use paddles (Non Split - Scuba, Turtles or other) around here, what do you use for warm water?

Might be looking to get something for warm waters, as the wife and I are heading to Mexico in March and I plan on doing many dives.
Hollis F2 Fins
Adjustable Spring Straps
Very light
Short, easy to pack
Multiple sizes
Easy, low resistance kick effort
You can do all the kick techniques with these, including backwards
$119 approx.

Best,
Jerry
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I am here to put an end to all your inquiries

You're Welcome
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Thanks for all your replies guys, has been a big help.

Norris, and if it comes with a spring strap... BONUS!!
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Just a simple, perhaps contrary opinion. I have used my regular cold water F-1's in Bonaire for more than 4 trips. They are wonderful and I wouldn't think of using a different fin. They really shone when slinging 80's this year. They give me great control for photography and thrust when I need it.

Wearing the SeaSoft Sunray boot they fit identical to my cold water gear. For Bonaire and some tropical shore dive destinations you need a beefy soled bootie for the hard coral and iron shore. You would never do barefoot or a flimsy boot in Bonaire. Other places that are more exclusively boat diving they aren't as necessary.

I had to pack them in my checked baggage because of their size.

No problems at all - YMMV.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

DecidedlyOdd wrote:I just picked up a pair of the DiveRite EXP fins for the same purpose
I used my F1s in warm and fresh waters and had problems being foot heavy. When I was in Florida last spring I picked up the DR EXPs and they were great. Light, good thrust, and maneuverable. They will always be my warm water fins from now on.
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

spatman wrote: I used my F1s in warm and fresh waters and had problems being foot heavy. When I was in Florida last spring I picked up the DR EXPs and they were great. Light, good thrust, and maneuverable. They will always be my warm water fins from now on.
That's good to hear. My concern about the foot heaviness led me to get some different fins for travel.
Actually, the horrendous, floppy fins I rented on vacation in Thailand REALLY pushed me to get some solid travel fins.

Then again, I'm still quite foot heavy with my F1s in a drysuit. Diving dry with the EXPs the other day, it was the first time I've ever had floaty feet in over 100 drysuit dives! I shifted some weight around, but the fins are still noticeably more positively buoyant than F1s.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

The F-2's really look interesting!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman