Best fin for a frog kick

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Best fin for a frog kick

Post by Alaska-Herb »

My son in law almost exclusively frog kicks and it is time to gift him a new pair of fins so what fins do you frog kickers really like. I was thinking the Hollis f1 or f2 . I really like my f1 but I don't frog kick much so I can't be a really good opinion
Thanks
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: Best fin for a frog kick

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Scuba Pro Jet Fins, HOG fins, XS SCUBA Turtles are all very similar in design. I like turtles myself. Alot of fellow diver really like th Hollis F1s as well.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Alaska-Herb wrote:My son in law almost exclusively frog kicks and it is time to gift him a new pair of fins so what fins do you frog kickers really like. I was thinking the Hollis f1 or f2 . I really like my f1 but I don't frog kick much so I can't be a really good opinion
Thanks
I used to dive the Turtles and they are great. After leaving mine at a dive site I tried out the HOG version of the blade fin and for the money of JUST the springs for Turtle you can get the set. I have been happy with them

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog ... QgodZHcA6A
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Hollis F1's
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I had been using the Jet fins exclusively for 12 years or so. Recently I got a chance to try a pair of the Scubapro Nova seawings. While I'm not real fond of the MonoPrine foot pocket because my foot wants to slide around too much in it... once I modified it with some rubber I like them A LOT.... they are the only thing I've ever used that I think I get better propulsion from my frog kick then even in a jet for turtle.. the f1 the jet fin and the turtle in my opinion have about the same proportion characteristics when utilizing the frog kick.... As a side bonus the back kick seems to be far more fruitful too.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Oh, what a question!

I love my Hollis F1s. My husband loves his Scubapro Seawing Novas. (I really, really, dislike the Novas. Really.) The thing is, it takes a few dives to really get the feel for any new fin, and to see if it really works for you. I hated the Hollis F1 the first time I tried them. After a weekend of diving, I was in love with them. I tried the Novas multiple times and they just *do not* work for me.

So if you can get him a set of one of the popular paddle style fins that he can use for a while, but then turn in if after a few dives he isn't feeling the love, that's great. Maybe find some buddies who have extras who will loan him, or a shop that's willing to let you try before you buy until you find the right match.
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I just got my second pair of F1s (went with 2XL for the cavernous foot pocket). I love these fins.

I also got a pair of F2s for warm water, but they look quite stubby so I wonder how well they'll work, and are heavier than I expected.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

lavachickie wrote:Oh, what a question!

My husband loves his Scubapro Seawing Novas. (I really, really, dislike the Novas. Really.)

I tried the Novas multiple times and they just *do not* work for me.
Lol... true that.... they do have a much longer (loving) curve than anything I've used to date. But after a couple dozen dives I'm getting there .... however the massive propulsion benefits were evident in very short order... even prior to my foot pocket mods.

I don't sell the seawings at my shop so I've no dog in the race. I would be very willing to loan them out for a couple weeks as well as a pair of turtles or jets if the op is wanting to try things out.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

I was really impressed with the dive rite fin. I also have jets and turtles and these are my new fav.
EXP Spring Heel Fins by Dive Rite
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351996313.790662.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351996313.790662.jpg (12.05 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351996292.422282.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351996292.422282.jpg (12.05 KiB) Viewed 2419 times
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 for this Hollis fins.

I like em alot. great fit and trims out great with a drysuit.

Not sure I'll use em for wetsuit diving again though, they make my feet super heavy for tropical diving.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

You have to be crazy to dive Hollis F1's in a wetsuit.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Jeremy wrote:You have to be crazy to dive a wetsuit.
Fixed that for ya! :smt064
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Lol, yep
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I just dove with my new F1's today. While I dearly love the old skool jet fins, they are too negative. I could easily hover now with my F1's, versus feet sink with my jet's. They dont kick as hard as the jets, but I guess like everything else, its a trade off.

gonna take awhile to get used to those yellow tips though... :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.