light canister battery not charging

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

light canister battery not charging

Post by doublesunder »

I have a 16v lithium battery with float protection that will not charge. When plugged into charger the charge led immediately goes to green. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: light canister battery not charging

Post by fmerkel »

Green generally means done...right? What does your manual say?
Do you have a voltmeter to check the actual voltage?
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Red is active charging, green is completed. Zero output volatge from battery leads. The only way the light head will turn on is, if you plug light head in with charger connected. Ten seconds after unplugging charger the light head will turn off.

Thanks
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

My thought is your batteries are toast. The charger is working that is why the light head activates under the charger but that batteries will not hold or accept a charge
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

If you are reading zero from the battery you either have a complete circuit break or the battery is completely dead. I think a break or failure of the protection module is the most likely. Not very often will even a 'dead' battery read zero.

I don't like that the charger doesn't give you a cleaner signal of this kind of problem, like a flashing red or something.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If it's sealed canister you could be in for a costly repair. If it's not there are a lot of sources for lithium packs that will be far cheaper than a factory one. Before you dig too deep make sure it's not still under warranty. If so opening the can could void your warranty. There are several people on the board that are pretty savey about such things and who have the equipment to check it out depending on where you live. One caveat. A lot of cheap chargers will refuse to charge a battery that has dropped below a certain voltage so you should consider checking your charger manual as well. If it is saying 0 volts I would vote for an open circuit you could have fried your circuit board in the pack.

Be careful! Lithium's can be dangerous if they short out or get hit with an over charge. They can and will burn or explode if mishandled.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Had used light a few weeks ago and threw on charger Fri night. Battery wasn't fully discharged when last used and no apparent problems with light. Flipped light head on sat morning and not even a glimmer. Battery isn't completely sealed , but is shrink wrapped with what seems like a extensive protection circuit underneath.

Thanks
Last edited by doublesunder on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

you may just have a broken wire on the battery side somewhere, most commonly on the anderson connectors.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

My money says your PCB is toast or you have a bad connection somewhere. Cut it open and figure out which PCB you need. You can get them from Batteryspace.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

I was thinking connection was solid, as I can plug the charger in the input side and get voltage to light head on the output side. Not really sure how to correctly diagnois a faulty PCB ?

Thanks