Dive Rite HID Light - battery issue

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
lizard0924
Submariner
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:30 am

Dive Rite HID Light - battery issue

Post by lizard0924 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:26 am

Help! My Dive Rite light is not working and it seems to be a battery issue. I plug in the battery to the charger, the red light goes on, the charger gets warm but the battery doesn't seem to take a charge at all. Not even after 24+ hours on the charger. The next day, red light is still on and battery doesn't power up the light.

So I went online to look for replacement batteries and freaked out to learn that a replacement battery is $200! Before I devote my monthly food budget to battery replacement, I have some questions...

1) is there a way to make sure that I do, in fact, have a bad battery?
2) if I need a new one, where is the cheapest source for replacement batteries?

Masha danki!
Liz
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman

User avatar
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4534
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 am

Re: Dive Rite HID Light - battery issue

Post by Nwbrewer » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:43 am

Liz, what light is it? Is it just a 4.5ah 12volt ni-mh battery? If so, they're about $50 from batteryspace.com. The charger can be had from them for about $25 if it's that.

It might just be the connecotr is broken too, is this one fo the ones with the stupid trailer plug connectors?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)


"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman

User avatar
lizard0924
Submariner
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Dive Rite HID Light - battery issue

Post by lizard0924 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:22 am

Nwbrewer wrote:Liz, what light is it? Is it just a 4.5ah 12volt ni-mh battery? If so, they're about $50 from batteryspace.com. The charger can be had from them for about $25 if it's that.

It might just be the connecotr is broken too, is this one fo the ones with the stupid trailer plug connectors?


Yes, the connector looks pretty much like the same connector found on trailers. I have always found it to be a pain, actually.

Since I'm not even remotely handy with electronics or wiring (and $50 plus shipping for a battery will end up costing me almost the same as a new light), I think I will just retire the Dive Rite light and buy a simpler handheld light for the diving here. After all, it's not like I need anything too powerful for these conditions. :)

Thanks!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman

User avatar
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills
Posts: 4534
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:59 am

Re: Dive Rite HID Light - battery issue

Post by Nwbrewer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:48 pm

lizard0924 wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Liz, what light is it? Is it just a 4.5ah 12volt ni-mh battery? If so, they're about $50 from batteryspace.com. The charger can be had from them for about $25 if it's that.

It might just be the connecotr is broken too, is this one fo the ones with the stupid trailer plug connectors?


Yes, the connector looks pretty much like the same connector found on trailers. I have always found it to be a pain, actually.

Since I'm not even remotely handy with electronics or wiring (and $50 plus shipping for a battery will end up costing me almost the same as a new light), I think I will just retire the Dive Rite light and buy a simpler handheld light for the diving here. After all, it's not like I need anything too powerful for these conditions. :)

Thanks!


It may very well be just bad connectors. Ask around, somebody with even a vague idea of how to use a voltmeter can fix it if it's just that.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)


"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman

User avatar
fmerkel
I've Got Gills
Posts: 1031
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Dive Rite HID Light - battery issue

Post by fmerkel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Have Bruce Bowker take a look at it if you can't find anyone else.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.

User avatar
lizard0924
Submariner
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:30 am

Re: Dive Rite HID Light - battery issue

Post by lizard0924 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:37 am

fmerkel wrote:Have Bruce Bowker take a look at it if you can't find anyone else.


Good idea...he is off the island at the moment, but when he gets back I'll go see him.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman

Post Reply