Which bp/w for a woman?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Which bp/w for a woman?

Post by guitarmaker »

I'm looking to purchase a bp/w for my daughter who's about 5'5" and I'm wondering if I need to buy one of the shorter plates for her or if a standard will work? Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a wing? 99% of her diving will be done with my hp 100's.
I would guess this topic has already been covered but I couldn't find it - sorry.

Thanks,

Ron
erin.jpg
Cheers!

Ron
citycatred
Submariner

Re: Which bp/w for a woman?

Post by citycatred »

I'm 5'7" and use the Hog 32 Doughnut wing and a DSS Stainless steel medium backplate while diving my HP 100. So far no problems.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Dive Right EXP I have is 35 doughnut. Big enough for Steel tanks, but still small enough for travel and warm water.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'd suggest measuring her back length (like you would for a backpack). At 5'5" she's on the cusp of going with a short plate or a medium one. An overly long plate can dig into the tops of her hip bones. Obviously if she's still growing a little then a medium is probably a good idea.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

CaptnJack wrote:I'd suggest measuring her back length (like you would for a backpack). At 5'5" she's on the cusp of going with a short plate or a medium one. An overly long plate can dig into the tops of her hip bones. Obviously if she's still growing a little then a medium is probably a good idea.
+1. I'm only 5'6", and I use a regular size SS Highland Mills BP with a matching STA. It doesn't bother me at all with regard to pinching my lower back. I also use a HOG 32 lb. donut wing and it works flawlessly.

Like CaptnJack said, measure her back or let her try putting on a regular size BP with a tank on, and let her walk around and see if it fits right. Her height has nothing to do with it. As we all know, there are a lot of tall people with a short torso, or vice versa, and the same goes for shorter peeps.

Divegearexpress.com is selling a smaller size BP (2 inches shorter). I think it's a DiveRite brand.

Good luck!
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm 5'4", and a medium plate works for me. The short plate, which I have, has the waistband a bit too high. Unless your daughter is VERY short-waisted, I think a medium will be fine.

I use the DSS 30 lb horseshoe wing with an HP 100, and it seems to work very well.

BTW, Bubbles Below is a local DSS dealer, if you want to go try the plate on your daughter and see how it works.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

+1 for the regular sized plate. I'm 5'6" and a regular ol' plate works just fine. :)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

LCF wrote:I'm 5'4", and a medium plate works for me. The short plate, which I have, has the waistband a bit too high. Unless your daughter is VERY short-waisted, I think a medium will be fine.

I use the DSS 30 lb horseshoe wing with an HP 100, and it seems to work very well.

BTW, Bubbles Below is a local DSS dealer, if you want to go try the plate on your daughter and see how it works.
local :rofl: I guess 250 miles is closer than Southern California.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Thank to all of you for your reply's, its very helpful and appreciated.
Cheers!

Ron
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

"Local" -- yeah, oops. Didn't look at the location for the OP, just assumed it was PNW. He can probably do better just ordering directly from DSS.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:"Local" -- yeah, oops. Didn't look at the location for the OP, just assumed it was PNW.
Hey now, Oregon is part of the PNW!
mtrautman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mtrautman »

spatman wrote:
LCF wrote:"Local" -- yeah, oops. Didn't look at the location for the OP, just assumed it was PNW.
Hey now, Oregon is part of the PNW!
:rawlings: :rawlings: :rawlings:
I would rather be diving, always. Seriously, wake me up in the middle of the night and ask me.

Challenge: What is my profile picture of?
Hint: its on a microscope slide.