Hooking a booster up to an O2 source...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Hooking a booster up to an O2 source...

Post by Jeff Pack »

Are there adapters, t fittings, whatever so I can hook up my bank bottle of AVO to my booster? I have a reg on bottle, maybe a t fitting that comes off the reg?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Hooking a booster up to an O2 source...

Post by CaptnJack »

Your booster needs to be supplied with O2 at supply pressure. Although I personally have a needle valve so I can slowly transfill, then open the needle valve all the way once I start boosting. Don't use a T, use a QD on the CGA nipple so you can switch from the reg used for continuous blending to direct input a booster. Although the better solution is to have 2 supply bottles. Use the higher pressure one to boost, suck out the dregs by CBing.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

thx, kind of what I thought, still awaiting my 2nd AVO bottle, which reminds me to give a call.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

where do I find O2 ready hoses to make fill whips?

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:where do I find O2 ready hoses to make fill whips?
I bought all of mine from McMaster and cleaned them myself, Teflon core, SS braid, brass ends. Buying pre-cleaned hoses with 3000psi+ ratings is insanely expensive.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

i bought my hoses at a parker dealer in kirkland called "Western Fluid" and also just cleaned myself.

you can buy CGA-540 for Oxygen and CGA-580 for Helium and Argon nuts and nipples from Central as well.

I have a pressure gauge and valve on my source tanks going into a manifold so i can select the source I want.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Jeff Pack wrote:where do I find O2 ready hoses to make fill whips?

Buying pre-cleaned hoses with 3000psi+ ratings is insanely expensive.

MasterLine sells Oxygen Cleaned fill whips and hoses locally, but McMaster is less expensive if you clean it yourself.

Good Luck,
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

kdupreez wrote:i bought my hoses at a parker dealer in kirkland called "Western Fluid" and also just cleaned myself.

you can buy CGA-540 for Oxygen and CGA-580 for Helium and Argon nuts and nipples from Central as well.

I have a pressure gauge and valve on my source tanks going into a manifold so i can select the source I want.
thx, I was thinking my AVO was CGA-580...

So I'm going to find a CGA-540 T fitting,and put the O2 reg on one end, and run to haskel with adapter on the other off of a QD.

Any pointers on how to clean your own hoses? thx!

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Clean with simple green and a small pump.

You can get small 5V or 12V pumps off of eBay very cheaply. Search "sous vide pump" and you'll find some for $15 or less. Use a 50/50 solution of simple green and hot water in a bucket, and some cheap silicone tubing to adapt the pump to the hose you're cleaning. Put the open end of the hose back in the bucket so you have a recirculating system.

Pump simple green solution through for a while, then pump just hot water through to rinse it out. Blow dry with clean scuba air. I usually do the fittings submerged in an ultrasonic bath of simple green as well, before each step...

That's about it.

McMaster is the way to go for the hose, as has been pointed out.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:So I'm going to find a CGA-540 T fitting,and put the O2 reg on one end, and run to haskel with adapter on the other off of a QD.
Your booster will be pressurized any time you are CBing nitrox. And whenever you need to move the fitting around you'll have to dump the whole schebang. I don't know what booster you have but my little one holds a couple of cf depending on the pressure. Seems like that's alot of losses compared to just putting a QD on the CGA nipple and the opposite fitting your booster inlet and CB reg. 3 QD fittings total, no T required.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

ah, I follow. Maybe for now I'll just swap the reg out when using the haskel and go direct.

thx!