Faber vs XS Scuba HP100's

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Faber vs XS Scuba HP100's

Post by Desert Diver »

Just got in a Faber 3442 psi 100 cf cylinder. I recently bought some XS Scuba 3442 psi 100's. So they weigh the same as nearly as our shop scale can tell. They are the same diameter as nearly as I can measure. The Faber is 2" or so taller. How can the inside be the same size???? Steel weight doesn't vary that much by composition. I think one of these manufacturers is not telling the truth about the capacity. What am I missing?

Brian
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Faber vs XS Scuba HP100's

Post by Linedog »

It's the paint, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

Had the same discussion today while looking at some new fabers sitting next to an xs scuba. For one it appears that the rounded shoulders and bottom of the fabers are perhaps more elongated and pointed. The other is the neck of the faber cylinder is definitely longer making the top of the tank valve sit higher. Then again, hmmm maybe it is the paint?! :smt064
Cheers!

Ron
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Yeah the neck is longer, but even without that the 2 tanks are close to 2" difference in height. I did find online that the Faber is 12.9 liters and the XS Scuba is 12.2 liters, so a 5% difference. With a slightly different taper and a little more capacity and the longer neck it may all add up. The specs show the Faber weighing a little more but my scale couldn't tell the difference. I was just kind of shocked to see the difference in apparent size.

Also interesting to note that both cylinders are 232 bar/3442 psi rated, and 3442 is 237 bar. I know, I know...I'm picking nits. :nutty:

Brian
Johnbhutch
Aquaphile

Post by Johnbhutch »

Did you measure them with the boots off? The Boots that come with XS SCUBA and FABER are different.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

The Faber boot holds the cylinder about 1/4" higher than the XS Scuba. Not more than that.