strange mask yet makes sence sort of

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sparky
I've Got Gills

strange mask yet makes sence sort of

Post by sparky »

I was doing a bit of shopping on Ebay and found this mask it looks as strange at it sounds
but it does make a strange sort of sence to me how it might work
so i thought I would pass it on to you all.

hey you never know maybe one of our namy instructors could use this infermation for that student that just cant seem to clear there ears

at any rate check it out let me know what your thoughts are

Sparky

cgi.ebay.com/SCUBA-DIVE-GEAR-PRACTICAL-EAR-PROTECTOR-PRO-DIVERS-MASK_W0QQitemZ250106167660QQihZ015QQcategoryZ29575QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

I read about a similar mask - it keeps the ears dry and helps to keep the pressure equalized on the ears.
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I actually sell this mask. The one I carry is made by IST Diving Systems. It is pretty slick. It requires a special hood, but for people who have ear issues, it is awesome.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

One of the DM's for our shop tried it because of ear issues. She could never get used to it so stopped using it.
But the theory seems sound.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

There;s a guy here that dives one swears by it. Looks funny with his ears stickin out of his hood.

Dave
Dave Mitchell
rcontrera
Aquaphile

Post by rcontrera »

It is really an old idea that has been greatly improved. Back in the 80s, we sold a hood that had ear cups build in and got it's air from a line to the second stage. It was made for those people that had perforated ear drums.

It is just salesman's rhetoric about making the ears easier to clear. It only replaces the water pressure with air pressure. Either way, there is still pressure there and you have to begin clearing just as you would in water.

The big advantage is for those that get vertigo when cold water hits the ear drum.

The mask is way cooler than the hood and probably works a lot better too.