BIG nitrox sticker on tank.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

BIG nitrox sticker on tank.

Post by Linedog »

Without this turning into a flame war about law or shop policy, does it matter if I put a huge nitrox wrap around my XS scuba steel tank? I don't normally put stickers on them, 1 cuz I'm anal about my kit. 2 I have read that any sticker might trap water under it and lead to corrosion. Any harm to it?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: BIG nitrox sticker on tank.

Post by CaptnJack »

No real harm, it just doesn't mean anything without: 1) knowing if the tank was O2 cleaned or not 2) analysis of the actual gas. The O2 cleaning status is on the VIP sticker and the contents analysis is on the neck. So what does the wrap tell you?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I personally don't use them, as they don't really serve a purpose to me.

However, I think what it really comes down to is the shop filling your tanks. Some shops want to see the nitrox band, regardless of what information is on the VIP sticker, if they are going to fill a tank with anything other than air.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I use these ones ...

... or these ones ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I don use them and the stickers do leave a white oxidation or some kind of residue or corrosion under the wrap around stickers.

You are supposed to strip them off and replace every year with Viz anyways.

the nitrox clean / oxygen clean indication is supposed to be on the viz sticer, so the wrap around means nothing.

some local shops want to see some form of "nitrox" label and I've seen some people just stick small "nitrox" decals above the VIP sticker.

you also get tank neck stickers that says something to that effect.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

a strip of blue tape with my O2 reading, date, and mod seems to get the point across as well as a decal.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.