Pee valve replacement tubing

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Pee valve replacement tubing

Post by spatman »

After a "malfunction" of my balanced pee valve, I'm ripping that f#%€ing thing out and going unbalanced.

Anyone have a recommendation for what tubing to get and a good source?
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Re: Pee valve replacement tubing

Post by ljjames »

spatman wrote:After a "malfunction" of my balanced pee valve, I'm ripping that f#%€ing thing out and going unbalanced.

Anyone have a recommendation for what tubing to get and a good source?
McMaster & Carr

Product detail...

51075K292
Durable Norprene Rubber/Plastic Tubing 1/4" ID, 1/2" OD, 1/8" Wall, Black, $2.24 per foot.

(but you can also get fuel line hose at local auto parts or true value)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I use the blue tubing from Camelbaks. Not as rigid as the norprene stuff that comes stock. REI, etc sell replacement tubing at a reasonable price.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Thanks, Laura and Brian!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

What brand P-Valve is that, Matt? did it have one of those T-Pieces as a balancer? Or is it a Halcyon or other brand with duckbill based balancer?

I did the same on both my suits after a few similar incidents.

What I ended up doing is re-using the neoprene fuel hose that came with it and the check valves so I at least prevent cold sea water from coming up the tube.

The check valves are also standard automotive mini check valves and user replaceable in a few seconds.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I'm not sure of the brand, but it looks like this:

I'm still not 100% sure where the actually failure was, but I think it was the check valve getting stuck closed. Not sure I ever want to risk that happening again.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Just take off both check valves, they cause more hassles than good IMHO.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

spatman wrote:I'm not sure of the brand, but it looks like this...
Did you pee yourself or did you have back pressure?

I have the same on both my suits and ripped out the T-Piece and kept the check valve to prevent sea water from coming in.

Know lots of folks who have just a straight trough and it doesnt bother them.

I make a point of doing a quick little "prime" of the lines before the dive and its been without hassle for a year or so.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

kdupreez wrote:
spatman wrote:I'm not sure of the brand, but it looks like this...
Did you pee yourself or did you have back pressure?
Back pressure, and it was painful. I was in the process of priming it when it happened, thankfully. That would have been pretty awful if it had happened in the water.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Just take off both check valves, they cause more hassles than good IMHO.
That's the plan. I don't ever want to experience that again.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Just take off both check valves, they cause more hassles than good IMHO.
The "in rush" of cold water is not bad honestly. I have found the straight tube stays clean without any hassles at all. Esp. if you open it near the end of the dive and leave it open until the next dive. It will drain naturally and there's nothing for bugs to grow in.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Matt I think its important and somewhat of a Mods obligation to tell the story so that others can learn.

and.....

begin

:taco:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Norris wrote:Matt I think its important and somewhat of a Mods obligation to tell the story so that others can learn.

and.....

begin

:supz: :popcorn:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Norris wrote:Matt I think its important and somewhat of a Mods obligation to tell the story so that others can learn.

and.....

begin

The valve was plugged up and the urine backed up the tube and into my ding dong. Kind of stretched my urethra to the its limits and a few drops of blood came out after I finally got the damn thing off. Its still a bit sore today, but doesn't seem to have gotten infected. Probably could have been a lot worse.

I wasn't even using a Wideband, just the Pop-On, and that adhesive was stuck good. The one time I needed a blowout...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:The "in rush" of cold water is not bad honestly. I have found the straight tube stays clean without any hassles at all. Esp. if you open it near the end of the dive and leave it open until the next dive. It will drain naturally and there's nothing for bugs to grow in.
So you open and close it as needed? I thought you just prime it predive and leave it open.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

spatman wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:The "in rush" of cold water is not bad honestly. I have found the straight tube stays clean without any hassles at all. Esp. if you open it near the end of the dive and leave it open until the next dive. It will drain naturally and there's nothing for bugs to grow in.
So you open and close it as needed? I thought you just prime it predive and leave it open.
If I am plumbed up I basically just leave it open. The only time I close mine is if I am not plumbed in or I suspect there's a leak. Without any type of valve its pretty hard to "prime" it anyway. If you are standing in water it flows in, if you aren't standing all the way in the water almost everything drains out. Although, I route the hose up over the top of my long undies. So there's a little loop there which can trap air, water, or pee depending on the situation. I certainly don't worry about priming.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

spatman wrote:

and.....

begin

The valve was plugged up and the urine backed up the tube and into my ding dong. Kind of stretched my urethra to the its limits and a few drops of blood came out after I finally got the damn thing off. Its still a bit sore today, but doesn't seem to have gotten infected. Probably could have been a lot worse.

I wasn't even using a Wideband, just the Pop-On, and that adhesive was stuck good. The one time I needed a blowout...
OMFG I can see where that would be an experience you do not want to have more than once. I went with unbalanced when I had mine put in and you just validated that decision. YIKES
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:

and.....

begin

*CRINGE* That sounds freaking awful.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Rofl.

That said, I've use balanced and unbalanced. I haven't had issues either way. I open and drain 'em like Richard said. If you go closed, just pre-charge the line. You can leave it open, but I prefer not to rick any critters coming up the line.

I also have the hose long enough, so it loops up, and then down my draws. I recommend that method. 1) It's a good distance to avoid said critters, and two, when you fire off, it warms up your skin (where the hose lays across) for a second. Not a damn thing wrong with that.

D
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

CaptnJack wrote:
spatman wrote:
The "in rush" of cold water is not bad honestly. I have found the straight tube stays clean without any hassles at all. Esp. if you open it near the end of the dive and leave it open until the next dive. It will drain naturally and there's nothing for bugs to grow in.

So you removed the mushroom valve so the tube is open to the water when the cap is unscrewed?

I guess you have not had any urinary track problems with the water and critters coming in yet?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

loanwolf wrote: So you removed the mushroom valve so the tube is open to the water when the cap is unscrewed?

I guess you have not had any urinary track problems with the water and critters coming in yet?
People swim in Puget Sound all they time without routine infections. Not all p valves even have mushroom valves anyway and as Spatty discovered, they don't always work. People tend to get UTIs from bugs growing in a poorly draining hose, and the valves actually created crevices for gunk to collected and fester. My hose is flushed clean constantly + drains & dries completely when the suit's in the garage. So after 8 years and maybe 500 plumbed dives without a UTI, almost never even rinsing the hose with alcohol or vinegar, I must be doing something ok.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Cool

Some friends and myself have had issues before. Sometimes the cathador will hold the urethra open so water can get in is what we have had happen. Glad to here you have not had that unpleasantness yet.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:... So after 8 years and maybe 500 plumbed dives without a UTI
You best knock on some wood bro.. :) dont jinx yourself now!

Agreed, straight trough is simplest and easiest..

I kinda like the one valve in there as a critter barrier and squirt 50/50 of vinegar and Alcohol in there with a food grade squeeze bottle (ketchup squeeze bottle) to make sure its operating and not plugged before every dive.. and that disinfects it too. Have also never had an issue in the past 2 years.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:... So after 8 years and maybe 500 plumbed dives without a UTI
You best knock on some wood bro.. :) dont jinx yourself now!
Hey now I'm at work, no wood here to be knocking on :rjack: :rofl: