Go pro hero 3 black

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Clay
Avid Diver

Go pro hero 3 black

Post by Clay »

Hey guys! Just got a go pro hero 3 black, I've been studying for a couple of days now and the goal is to be proficient before Belize in April. I'm kind of over whelmed with all the intricacies of settings and such. Any advice or tips from the local community?
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Go pro hero 3 black

Post by Linedog »

Dive with it, play with it, if its like my Hero2 ya can't really screw it up. I have learned the most by just trying different settings and recording the fish in my tank or my dogs water bowl.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Turn off the default sleep mode.

D
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Linedog wrote:Dive with it, play with it,
This.

I know what it is like to have a new piece of equipment before a major trip. Said awesome equipment ends up becoming almost useless because of not knowing how to use it. You have a month. Dive it. Clear your calendar and dive! Record every dive. Play with the editing features. Play with the settings. See how they turn out and how you like them. If you can, arrange to go diving with someone who owns one. You will get in person advice that won't happen much on an internet thread (although Defied's advice is good!).

(BTW, I don't own one, but have several friends who do. I am still trying to get my Olympus E-PL1 figured out before Bonaire in June!)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Def get it out as much as possible. I have one as well that is currently en route back to GoPro as it froze up on 3 out of the 3 dives i took it on. Hard to mess with it much because you could only reset it via removing the battery and replacing it....hard to do underwater.

Make sure you have updated the firmware to the most current one from gopro's support site as well. I did it twice on the phone with a tech as I was still having problems. Make sure you don't have an LCD pack or any other accessory plugged in when you do it. Also, the tech highly suggested not using the automatic download via Java, but rather the manual instructions they outline on the site.

Do a few searches as well for GoPro Hero 3 Black and diving - there's quite a few forum posts/threads on setting adjustment. I can't find it off hand, but one guy had a great chart for settings based on desired capture output.

good luck! hopefully you have better luck than I did so far. They determined I just had a bad unit so I'm hoping the warranty cam is better and comes soon!
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Thanks for the replies, lots of water time planned between now and then so advice followed.... I am still researching Internet and this wonderful forum came up in my ideas for doing that. A you tuber from Australia makes excellent diving videos explaining filters and settings. Gonna try some of his tips and probably get some filters
jmartel
Dive-aholic

Post by jmartel »

Get the LCD backpack. It helped immensely during my grand cayman trip. Also, fab up/buy a mount with handles so that you can hold it steadier.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Hope it works out well for you. I would definitely advise getting it in the water quickly and using it a bunch before your trip. I am hearing loads of horror stories about problems with the GP 3 black edition locking up and such. they have asked several people to send them back because of defects so what ever you do put it thru a very through work out before your trip.
Last edited by Dusty2 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

+1 on the LCD backpack, I have one and use it about half the time!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Maxtrax
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Maxtrax »

-LCD backpack
-Red filter (at least for in our murky water)
-Sola or similar compact video light can be a nice addition
-minimalist handle/tray (like Backscatter's) can be nice as well even without a light, but plenty of folks just bolt it onto one of the taller mounts it comes with and hold onto that.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Run it through the wringer ASAP so you can get an exchange or warranty service if you need it.

I have the HD Hero 1 and the new Black... my Black doesn't crash in normal use (yet) but it does have irritating quirks. For example, when you plug it in to external power, most of the time it will lock up and neither charge nor operate, until you pull out the battery. Simply plugging it in is usually a 5 minute ordeal. If I needed to use it heavily I would try to find an external battery charger for sure.

My #1 was exactly the same way.
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

Yeah it's had a ton of issues, I exchanged it today for same model hoping it was a lemon... It froze up alot, battery drained in 10 minutes, then it showed overheating and shut down. Got it back on but it said "full" on an empty SD card. Lots of bugs to work out. Maybe a redundant go pro in pocket is required?