Anyone know whats up with Diving Concepts?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Anyone know whats up with Diving Concepts?

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Several local dealers have been trying to get hold of DC for the better part of a month. Their phone answers and you can leave a message. We're all used to that as for the better part of a year I have not been able to talk to a human being unless they decided to call me back to comfirm orders left via voicemail which has been rare but my orders have always showed up. Now.... weeks go by and nada.... anyone know if these guys are out of business, on extended vacation, were taken up in the rapture and I got overlooked :eek:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone know whats up with Diving Concepts?

Post by WylerBear »

I have the same question about OMS. Sent them my light in November and I and my shop have been trying to contact them ever since with no results.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I have the same question about OMS. Sent them my light in November and I and my shop have been trying to contact them ever since with no results.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

OMS is notorious for poor customer service and for not delivering orders. Diving concepts??? It would be a shame but it wouldn't be a surprise. A lot of dive related companies are suffering with this economy and companies don't tend to tell anyone when they decide to close up. They simply lock the door and put a message on the door for the employees that they no longer have a job.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I guess it's time for these companies to branch into bullet making companies. So hard to get bullets nowadays. :smt064
Sorry Wayne, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Staying back on topic, I haven't received a response myself when I contacted DC.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Perhaps a post to DMX might get an answer from somebody in the area. There are plenty of Monterrey area divers on that board.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Dusty2 wrote:OMS is notorious for poor customer service and for not delivering orders..
yeah we call the company "Oh Maybe Someday" :eric:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

coulterboy wrote:I guess it's time for these companies to branch into bullet making companies. So hard to get bullets nowadays. :smt064
And everyones wanting them... gonna have to compete with the gov to get ya some! :)
coulterboy wrote:Sorry Wayne, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
it's a welcome diversion Tom... How's that girl of your's BTW... she getting in the water at all?
renoun wrote:Perhaps a post to DMX might get an answer from somebody in the area. There are plenty of Monterrey area divers on that board.
that's a great idea.. Thank you
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Waynne Fowler wrote:Several local dealers have been trying to get hold of DC for the better part of a month. Their phone answers and you can leave a message. We're all used to that as for the better part of a year I have not been able to talk to a human being unless they decided to call me back to comfirm orders left via voicemail which has been rare but my orders have always showed up. Now.... weeks go by and nada.... anyone know if these guys are out of business, on extended vacation, were taken up in the rapture and I got overlooked :eek:
Just heard the same thing from Ron at ADU. Anybody know anything about this?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:OMS is notorious for poor customer service and for not delivering orders..
yeah we call the company "Oh Maybe Someday" :eric:
I've always called them "Other Manufacturer's Stuff"
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Waynne Fowler wrote:Several local dealers have been trying to get hold of DC for the better part of a month. Their phone answers and you can leave a message. We're all used to that as for the better part of a year I have not been able to talk to a human being unless they decided to call me back to comfirm orders left via voicemail which has been rare but my orders have always showed up. Now.... weeks go by and nada.... anyone know if these guys are out of business, on extended vacation, were taken up in the rapture and I got overlooked :eek:
Same for us Wayne. Wanted to know if our price list was current. crickets....

Jerry

Hoodsport 'N Dive
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Well, I've now heard that DC has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

renoun wrote:Well, I've now heard that DC has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Well then.... Just another excuse for me to get a DUI suit I guess
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

renoun wrote:Well, I've now heard that DC has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy.
Damn, I love my DC suit.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

thank you for the intel everyone. I wonder if anyone will pick up the dryglove ring patent?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Waynne Fowler wrote:thank you for the intel everyone. I wonder if anyone will pick up the dryglove ring patent?
That would be my hope. They are my favorite system.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I thought they were already made by someone else?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
scubagadget
Getting To Know Folks

Post by scubagadget »

I am talking with the lawyers and the court appointed trustee. I have updated the article and will add more as I get more information.

Here is the story so far…

http://www.scubagadget.com/?p=2568
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Iron clad proof of ownership. Why would customers have to document ownership? Apparently the inventory tag on a used suit with holes in it (or half done seals) in the back room at DC is inadequate?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I'm guessing this is less about DC and more about their creditors.

They will be selling / liquidating all their assets and unless you can prove the dry suit is not a DC asset, they will liquidate it.

It truly does suck, but at this point after liquidation none of the assets belong to DC anymore.. its all in the hands of the company that is responsible for the liquidation
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

At this point, DC has no authority to release anything that they may or may not own, regardless of value - ALL such decisions must now receive the blessing of the Trustee. It's on his shoulders to make sure that all potential creditors (including all custormers whose suits are in for repair) are identified and are appropriately treated. DC's repair inventory books will likely be referred to, but the Trustee can't say that. At this point, he is making same statements he would make in any bankruptcy case he is involved with: "creditors should get a lawyer", "secured creditors (owners of physical property) will have to provide iron-clad proof of ownership", "all creditors will be required to file a claim", etc.

Contactly DC directly will prove fruitless - one of the reasons for filing is to stop the barrage of creditors from beating down their door - and they can't help you even if they wanted to. You're going to need to contact the Trustee's office, get a case number and file a Proof of Claim form if you're owed anything.

I feel for any divers involved with this. Unfortunately - the release of assets is rarely a quick process, and they will likely be without their gear for awhile.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mpenders wrote: I feel for any divers involved with this. Unfortunately - the release of assets is rarely a quick process, and they will likely be without their gear for awhile.
There might not be that many customers directly affected, IIRC they only really ever dealt with shops for repair work. And well, they were never known for good customer service so it seems unlikely they would have alot of repair items there being held captive...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

You might be right. Considering how long they "went silent", perhaps they were able to focus on and resolve most/all of their repair-type issues before they submitted the filing.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

When did you last hear anyone say "send it to DC they will fix it"? lol
More likely would be paid but unbuilt or partially built suit orders. Those folks are screwed.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

CaptnJack wrote: More likely would be paid but unbuilt or partially built suit orders. Those folks are screwed.

Yep.