Hid lights

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Hid lights

Post by doublesunder »

Do Hid lights have significant diminished light output over time, or does it stay at a constant. Have a LM 21 watt Hid that seems more comparable to or even less than a 12 watt led with a 8 deg beam.

Thanks.....
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Hid lights

Post by kdupreez »

not that im aware of?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

After couple thousand hours on a bulb the color can change
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

depends on the power source.

Different battery types have different discharge curves. Lithium based ones will have a much flatter discharge curve.

Now when comparing HID to LED, thats much different,and alot of factors come into play.(LED type, optics, etc).
On average though, I would expect a LM21w HID to outperform a 12w LED.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Watt =/= brightness.

Lumens at the light source is generally not a great measurement either, (it an area measure, and light output is greatly influenced by optics) but just for reference, a typical brightstar 21watt HID is putting out roughly 1100-1400 lumens (depending on who's numbers you believe)

Some of the newer LED lightheads consuming only 12 watts of power are capable of producing 1000-1200lumens, though typically not as well focused as the traditional HID lighthead is capable of.

What 12 watt LED were you comparing to? Color temperature can also play a part in perceived brightness, especially underwater. (Light towards the blue end of the spectrum will travel further)

Jake

Edit -
Unless the system is direct drive (not HID and not **MOST** LED's the type of battery has no effect on the brightness)
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

LED's to HID is a tough can of worms! Manufacturers rate the 2 types of light differently so it is hard to compare. Lumen's is a the method of choice for LED's but it is a very undependable unit of measure because it is usually stated by the Manufacturer as a measure of the bare led's performance at a short distance from the emitter and for the best bin number. Led's are rated by bin number at the factory and the output varies greatly by the bin color. Higher bin # mean brighter and whiter color. Even if you are stating lumens for the exact same emitter they will be wildly different depending on the quality of the unit.

So lumen ratings are pie in the sky and watt ratings are even worse since watts don't apply to LED's at all. So down to the final word, Side by side is about the only true way of comparison and that is in the eyes of the beholder. There are many things that can cause your hid to seem less bright. Discoloration in the bulb or the lens could cause it, ballast could but in the end hid's have remained pretty much the same over the last several years while LED's have been improving in leaps and bounds. HID's used to be the only choice if you wanted bright pure white light but now days LED's can pretty much stand up to most sub 25 watt HID's especially is the optics are well focused.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I like my 55 Watts because @%*! you" HID. It's dirty. Like hooker in a dark, stinky alley dirty. And it will melt faces.

D
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

defied wrote: It's dirty. Like hooker in a dark, stinky alley dirty. And it will melt faces.

D
Which is what lights are for, as we all know! :luv:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Tom Nic wrote:
defied wrote: It's dirty. Like hooker in a dark, stinky alley dirty. And it will melt faces.

D
Which is what lights are for, as we all know! :luv:
Yeah booey! It'll sterilize too! All for 40 easy payments of 19.99!

D
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Led light is a "the name thou shall not be spoken" OMS 16 volt lithium. Supposedly it's rated at 1100 Lu @ 12.58 feet with a 6 deg beam. The LM seems to have a really blue color, wasnt sure if this was a sign of bulb deterioraton or normal light color. Really noticed a difference between the two above and below the water.
image.jpg
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

doublesunder wrote:Led light is a "the name thou shall not be spoken" OMS 16 volt lithium. The LM seems to have a really blue color, wasnt sure if this was a sign of bulb deterioraton or normal light color. Really noticed a difference between the two above and below the water.
image.jpg
Well according to OMS it's 1100 lumens for the 3 LED version, which is right in line with a 21 watt HID.

I also found a few articles through google search that mention HID degradation to 90% of original brightness and a shift towards blue at the end of the bulb life for HID's.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

doublesunder wrote:Led light is a "the name thou shall not be spoken" OMS 16 volt lithium. Supposedly it's rated at 1100 Lu @ 12.58 feet with a 6 deg beam
That's all good, but I frequently dive deeper than 12.58 feet. Do they make lights for 20-24' depths?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Joshua Smith wrote:
doublesunder wrote:Led light is a "the name thou shall not be spoken" OMS 16 volt lithium. Supposedly it's rated at 1100 Lu @ 12.58 feet with a 6 deg beam
That's all good, but I frequently dive deeper than 12.58 feet. Do they make lights for 20-24' depths?
:rofl:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Wouldn't know. I'm not certified to go that far yet.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Yes.. Hid will dim and loose its level after time..

Phat lites SST 90 boya !! Or a csm chip..
I'm into liquid cooled mineral oil these days.. Its hard to wash off the carpet..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen