How many Cu ft. for a drysuit bottle?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sitkadiver
Submariner

How many Cu ft. for a drysuit bottle?

Post by sitkadiver »

I imagine those of you who have used Argon have a very quick an easy answer for me, so forgive my lack of a big search..

I have a single stage double hose reg that I want to dive here in Sitka. My question is, since I'm using a drysuit, how big a bottle will I need to sling in order to use my drysuit for a single tank dive?

I have a 6 cu.ft. H2Odyssy bottle that I would like to use. But want to be sure it's going to be enough.

My first dive will probably be with doubel 72's in order to carry a back-up reg. So this is for future consideration.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: How many Cu ft. for a drysuit bottle?

Post by kdupreez »

I get about 2 decent dives out of an AL6

Mounted on my backplate on the left
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Thanks Koos. Just what I needed to know.

Dave
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Yup. 6 works great. It also depends on your dive profile of course. I can get 5 wreck dives in Lake Washington out of a 6cuft bottle no problem, but if I am doing a scooter run with a lot of ups and downs, then it might be closer to 2 or 3.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Mounting it DIY style is super easy.

Take a piece of 2" webbing fold it around an AL6, burn holes in the ends and attach the ends to the plate with sex bolts.

Then take a piece of bungee and tie a loop and stick it through one of the bottom back plate mounting holes..

the cylinder goes into the webbing (pointing down) and the bungee goes over the tank neck/valve.

looks something like this:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

n
Last edited by Jeff Pack on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

I see people with those LP 8cuft tanks for argon, they just look a little too big for me. I am a big fan of my 6cuft tanks for argon, I'm usually around 3/4 dives, but I use a 13cuft tank for purging my suit first, that one lasts most of the winter.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:Speaking of a double hose setup... this is a 13cf bottle for suit and wing.
News flash Jeff! Its not all about you.

I'd much rather see pics of the OP's setup and rigging...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

*removed* no point in it.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

fishb0y wrote:I see people with those LP 8cuft tanks for argon, they just look a little too big for me. I am a big fan of my 6cuft tanks for argon, I'm usually around 3/4 dives, but I use a 13cuft tank for purging my suit first, that one lasts most of the winter.
8 CF = easy to fill, 2015 working pressure. But they are porky.
The 6 just looks right :)
An old 72 makes a nice suit purging tank.

Good Diving,
Jerry
Hoodsport N Dive
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:Speaking of a double hose setup... this is a 13cf bottle for suit and wing.

Maybe not a complete violation of rule #1, but pretty close- remember, NWDC is like a happy rainbow melting pot of diverse opinions and experiences that weaves a magical tapestry of tolerance out of gossamer faerie hairs.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Maybe not a complete violation of rule #1, but pretty close- remember, NWDC is like a happy rainbow melting pot of diverse opinions and experiences that weaves a magical tapestry of tolerance out of gossamer faerie hairs.
Yes I know we all like tacos and beer and all that stuff. Putting my happy face back on.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

CaptnJack wrote:Putting my happy face back on.

I kid, I kid. :)
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

how about this?
dog face.jpg
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yay.
Attachments
happy.jpg

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:Yay.
I like your new look, Josh.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

OK now that I am done laughing at the pics I have a question myself. Sorry if this sounds stupid but what is the PURGE done for when using argon for inflation? I am assuming that after a dive you have to flush out the argon? I know it is not good to breath argon. Just wondering :luv:
Jeff Castor
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Purging is done after you put on your suit and are zipped up. Some people open their exhaust valve or pull open their neck seal while squatting down to vent the excess air out of their suit.

You want your suit and undergarment full of dense insulating gas (argon) and not lighter air that is why you purge.

Mike
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
You're not just saying that to be polite, are you? 'Cause I worked really hard on it.........

fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

Actually, the more i think of it, I don't think 'purge' would be the right word... When I use argon, I will fill and vent my suit a couple of times with argon. Like Rockfish was saying, if you want that insulation from the argon, you really need to get that air out.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

People refer to this as an "Argon Flush"

crouchinig down squeezing all the air out of your suit, inflating with a bunch of Argon and squeezing all of that out again.

i.e Argon Flush.

the idea is to get as much if not all the air out of your suit.. because when you jump in with suit full of air you typically only add argon for whats needed to reduce squeeze.. thus essentially mixing argon with air.. and its a smaller percentage argon than air, depending on how much you add / vent throughout the dive.

but if you flush with argon, you have mostly argon in your suit from the beginning and this resulting in a warmer dive..

Or thats the theory..

K
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:
spatman wrote:
You're not just saying that to be polite, are you? 'Cause I worked really hard on it.........
No really. That rainbow eyeshadow really brings out your eyes.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Bunch of goofballs. ;-) The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence always bring a smile to my face.

I just did two easy dives at Cove 2 with a 6cuf Argon bottle. Used about 1700 PSI. I haven't tried flushing w/ Argon beforehand, but it still keeps me noticeably warmer.

The 6cuf bottles tuck away nicely along the left edge of a backplate. I also have an LP 8cuf, which I haven't used yet. I think the easier way to mount this is with a bracket to a back tank.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
spatman wrote:
No really. That rainbow eyeshadow really brings out your eyes.
Ah seen naked peoples on them internets.