Quality BP/W setup

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
ScottJordan
Just Settling In

Quality BP/W setup

Post by ScottJordan »

I am looking into getting a back plate and wing setup. I am trying to keep it at a reasonable price, but willing to pay for the right gear, so I don't have to buy it again later. I am currently diving singles and would change wings to fit doubles later. I will be in the near future switch to a larger HP tank instead of a LP 70. I also have dive with a 7mm wetsuit.

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog ... -3070.html
This is a setup I was looking at getting. It seems to be the best deal for the price that I could find. If anyone has advice about this setup or wants to suggest another one I am all ears. I want to get this right as my last BC was a disappointment.

Thanks
Scott
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Quality BP/W setup

Post by Dusty2 »

It should be a good rig but I would suggest a bit larger wing. For me that would be too small.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

28lb wing is do-able but a little smaller than typical for local diving. 32-38lbs is more the "normal" range for local folks. Its not a huge problem with the lp72 but if graduate to a larger steel tank you might find yourself riding a bit low in the water at the start of a dive. You might be perfectly happy with that wing but its hard to conclusively know. I am sure that you'd be happy with something like a DSS Torus 35lb wing or a 40lb halcyon eclipse wing - if only because I have never met anyone who wasn't.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

As has been said, that's a small wing.

We own several of the DSS singles rigs. They're about $450 from the manufacturer on line, but they're essentially the same from the local dealer here in Woodinville.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I have this setup and have been very happy with it:
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog ... -2095.html

I'm in Portland, so if you want to check it out and take it for a couple dives let me know.

EDIT: I have the rig thefeve linked to below.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Check this package out: http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog ... -3726.html

Gives you the option for the 32 lb wing, and the same hog plate. I have the 32 lb wing, as well as a few dive buddies and have nothing but good things to say about it. Its a bit bright, but why not:)!

Not too much more than the package you listed, and I'm personally a big fan of the hog gear. It gives you the option for the SS or AL plate, but you'd probably want to add an STA to the package either way. Regarding the AL vs SS I think that's more of a personal preference. If you're planning on going doubles later, the AL may be a good choice, but not necessary. However, the SS plate is nice as you don't have to carry as much weight. All good options!

Good luck!
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I will sell you a Hog plate with rigging and an OMS 55lb wing for $225. I'll throw in a single tank adapter.

D

EDIT: Ooops, meant 225, not 250.
Last edited by defied on Tue May 07, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Stick with a 5 or 6lb stainless plate unless you are going to warmer waters.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

A recent local (Seattle) listing:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/spo/3779240742.html

*disclaimer - not my gear, no affiliation with the seller*

I dive this wing, and love it. It's actually rated at 40lbs, is very streamlined, trims out nicely and doesn't "taco". I've used it with LP 95's, LP72's, HP120's (the long torpedos) and hp100's - all worked very well.

Here's a link to a pic of mine in use, you can see how streamlined it is:

http://www.jessemillerphotography.com/U ... &lb=1&s=XL
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on a wing with more lift. I have a Halcyon 30 and 40 wings and find the 30 a little light in the pants for cold water diving and steel 100hp or larger tanks.

so agreed a halcyon 40 or DSS are pretty awesome options or at least some other alternative donut wing.

check the inner bladder construction however, some manufacturers use better quality urethane plastic than others. some even use nylon, which is damn near bullet proof. my halcyon wings and i think Hollis are nylon inner bladders.

I would also caution you on too big wings with singles. anything bigger than a 40lb is overkill and will probably not be a comfortable dive and end up buying something else eventually.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Btw Scott - I'd recommend try a few setups before committing to a purchase.

I'd be happy to let you try mine.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
ScottJordan
Just Settling In

Post by ScottJordan »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to go with the offer from Defied. Can't wait to come back up and dive with again.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Thanks Scott,
When you get it, I want you to read this:
http://dir-diver.com/en/equipment/backp ... tment.html

That way you will have a more comfortable ride (As it's sized to me, currently).

D
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Scott, you can also hit a WWW dive on Wednesdays where most of us have been through Fundies and know how to fit a Bp/W. We would be happy to help.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on what Jeremy said. Be happy to help if you would like some guidance through setup and sizing.