Anyone dive the Santi BZ400?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Anyone dive the Santi BZ400?

Post by spatman »

How do you like it? And how does it compare to other undergarments like the Weezle Extreme, Fourth Element Arctic, etc.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone dive the Santi BZ400?

Post by Sounder »

I've got two of them - one heated and one not. They're both exceptionally warm and have a great "density" without losing more flexibility than necessary. Obviously more material adds to warmth but it also adds to bulk. Santi mitigates much of the common issues by cutting the suit properly for a diver. Before Santi was a drysuit company, it was the equivalent to Carhart here so they've got the garment-making thing down to an art and a science at the same time.

While I'm a bit plumper than you, you're welcome to try mine sometime you're up here.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

I have a 400 and a Weezle Extreme + . Both work well, but like any other tool there are pro and con.

Long scooter runs are better with the Santi because the polarguard material in the Weezle flattens out against your chest and shoulders and you get pretty cold.

Long hangs are good with the Weezle if you wear a pound or two extra weight for additional gas/argon in your suit. You need more loft (gas) in the insulation to stay warm.

If I swim or work, I use the Weezle, if I am scootering, the Santi.

I think-my experience-that the Weezle is warmer when flooded.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

I dive a BZ400 and I love it. It's very flexible and very warm. I dove a DUI Xm450 for comparison and it was noticeably cooler than the Santi. It's an added benefit that if you don't fit any of the santi standart sizes, they will custom cut one for you. I recommend Mark at 5th D if you decide to purchase one.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I just want to throw a contender in here, and I'm sure Cofford would agree with me.
The Hollis Undergarments are surprisingly warm for their size. I've worn the Aug 100 in the winter time, occasionally switching to the 200 for the deeper, longer dives.

I did a (Actually two) two-plus hour dive at Lake Crescent in my 100 after completely flooding it 15 minutes in the dive. Avg temp was 45. I only really started feeling cold on the 15min O2 hang.

D
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Could have been the hypothermia keeping me warm... meh.... 0]

D
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

I have not ever dove a Weezle or Fourth Element to compare, but I have a BZ400, and I do like it. It is certainly the warmest undergarment I have ever had (out of two), yet I am starting to think true warmth underwater is a myth. I get cold no matter what I wear. There are just varying degrees of frigid. That said, I can't speak highly enough of the flexibility. I just use a stock large, and it fits very well. The BZ400 is able to be both thick and (relatively) warm without losing any flexibility.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I have a weezle extreme, 4th element halo 3d and dove the bz400 for a few weeks on demo.

The BZ400 was very warm and a great undergarment, but not warmer than my halo 3d with a base layer. they were both about equally warm and the 4th element was more stretchy. I have also accidently flooded the santi through a failed and not plumbed in p-valve and i can say it keeps you warm when flooded.. same goes for the 4th element, i've been wet for an entire dive in it before and not realize it until after the dive.

I also like my weezle a lot and its not the extreme+ and i tend to dive that in summer months or warmer water where I can adjust the loft to adjust the insulation properties. one other thing i like about it its water repellent, so if it drizzles a bit, you can wipe it off easily.

I actually like diving the weezle a lot in summer in the lakes because I can use normal loft when im cold and in warm shallows during deco and can squeeze it a bit more. believe it or not in both lake crescent and lake washington at 20ft you start getting pretty warm after 20-30 minutes.

So all in all, if you dont already have an undergarment thats super warm and are looking at the BZ400 for a warm experience. go for it!

But based on a few weeks trail and already having a 4th element that was not any colder, I could not justify paying the additional $530 for a BZ400

If I wear this 4th element through and its time to buy a new undergarment, it will however be a BZ400. purely because you can get it custom cut for not a lot extra and they will put your name on it.. and they have a special GUE edition BZ400 :)

thats my 2psi
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Did your weighting vary a lot between the 3d, BZ and Weezle?
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

spatman wrote:Did your weighting vary a lot between the 3d, BZ and Weezle?
I don't need weight in 95s or 130s with either undergarment. And with 85s I use a small v weight with both.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

spatman wrote:Did your weighting vary a lot between the 3d, BZ and Weezle?
I did have to add about 2lb's of weight between the BZ400 and the 3D but i was able to get away with the same weight if the BZ was a little squeezed (but no warmth difference because it doesnt rely on loft)

The weezle is the same as 3D when lofted for max warmth and i just keep it at that weight all the time because if i need it slightly squeezed for insulation its ad-hoc.

Excluding the SS plate, I use 16-18 lb on a single tank setup and that translates to 8lb on a double 100's setup with nitrox and just keep it the same with 130 and helium since the helium offsets the larger tanks.. that works for me with 500psi in both.

I know people who get away with no weight on 130's but as soon as its helium and tanks get low, for me personally that makes for an irritating dive, I may just be a more buoyant body type :). There is only a 1lb difference in buoyancy between the large and smaller tanks and the helium washes that difference, so in theory, there should not be any variance in weight between the tanks..

In Fresh water,I shed about 6lb of weight from above.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White