Ideal for scuba - swim with your hands!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Ideal for scuba - swim with your hands!

Post by thefeve »

https://www.darkfingloves.com/

"ideal for Scuba: Some master divers insist that they don't use their hands for propulsion because of their inefficiency. Darkfin gloves are the answer to that problem."

:popcorn:
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Re: Ideal for scuba - swim with your hands!

Post by Paladin4Christ »

Would you use them in conjunction with a mono-fin or primarily with Bi-Fins?

:popcorn: :popcorn:
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

Actually, those are used by some disabled divers who have no/limited use of their legs. My brother-in-law with cerebral palsy was quite successful with them.

So, you can put your popcorn away. :)
Jenn
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Actually, those are used by some disabled divers who have no/limited use of their legs. My brother-in-law with cerebral palsy was quite successful with them.
Go go go B-I-L :luv:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

enchantmentdivi wrote:Actually, those are used by some disabled divers who have no/limited use of their legs. My brother-in-law with cerebral palsy was quite successful with them.

ooookay... let me be clear here - my "popcorn" thread for hand fins was NOT in ANYWAY related to knocking on a disabled diver, sheesh. You better believe i think that's awesome for anyone to get out and do something that they otherwise wouldn't have been able to do... HUGE props to your bro-in-law, takes serious guts and courage to get out and push your self like that.

I just got a kick out of the assertion that they were "ideal" for all scuba divers due to propulsion. Even with my very limited diving career, I've so far been pretty engrained with keeping your hands still and letting you legs do the work/control/positioning (not that I'm capable of such a feat yet). I figured with all the DIR/tech/GUE/whatever people on here they'd think it funny as well... :stir:

so yah...the :popcorn: still stands with the best of intentions for a lighthearted chuckle.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

thefeve wrote: ooookay... let me be clear here - my "popcorn" thread for hand fins was NOT in ANYWAY related to knocking on a disabled diver, sheesh.
You're a horrible human being, you know that? How could you?

D
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

:penelope:
defied wrote:
thefeve wrote: ooookay... let me be clear here - my "popcorn" thread for hand fins was NOT in ANYWAY related to knocking on a disabled diver, sheesh.
You're a horrible human being, you know that? How could you?

D
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

thefeve wrote:ooookay... let me be clear here - my "popcorn" thread for hand fins was NOT in ANYWAY related to knocking on a disabled diver, sheesh.
More than one person can :stir:

:) :) :)
Jenn
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

enchantmentdivi wrote:
thefeve wrote:ooookay... let me be clear here - my "popcorn" thread for hand fins was NOT in ANYWAY related to knocking on a disabled diver, sheesh.
More than one person can :stir:

:) :) :)

ohhhhhh Touche'.........................turtle!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

This one time? At troll camp? We all went skinny dipping? And used hand fins? Except it was one big fin? And you put both your hands in it?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

Ouch. :eek:

I was only pointing to the bruhaha about the mono-fin/bi-fin thread. All I could picture was someone wearing the mono-fin AND these gloves....

In no way did I mean disrespect to anyone's life situation. Jeez, now I feel like a schmuck and I've got popcorn stuck in my teeth because I was piggish and ate TWO bags...
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Joshua Smith wrote:This one time? At troll camp? We all went skinny dipping? And used hand fins? Except it was one big fin? And you put both your hands in it?
Sig line material? :rofl:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:This one time? At troll camp? We all went skinny dipping? And used hand fins? Except it was one big fin? And you put both your hands in it?
For the love of god don't you be getting any ideas about what to "forget" next time. The hair was bad enough.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

id use the monofin ... its so the Bomb
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Ack! Dammit Richard why did you have to say anything. :eek:
CaptnJack wrote:
For the love of god don't you be getting any ideas about what to "forget" next time. The hair was bad enough.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Paladin4Christ wrote: Jeez, now I feel like a schmuck and I've got popcorn stuck in my teeth because I was piggish and ate TWO bags...
I like popcorn.

With butter.

:angelblue:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

CaptnJack wrote:
Mortuus wrote:
Me? Ideas? :luv:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

So in conclusion this thread was about divers with monofins and webbed hand gloves eating popcorn at depth whilst stirring a pot of :taco: :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

pogiguy05 wrote:So in conclusion this thread was about divers with monofins and webbed hand gloves eating popcorn at depth whilst stirring a pot of :taco: :popcorn:
Nailed it.
Paladin4Christ
Aquaphile

Post by Paladin4Christ »

pogiguy05 wrote:So in conclusion this thread was about divers with monofins and webbed hand gloves eating popcorn at depth whilst stirring a pot of :taco: :popcorn:
Your observation and deduction skills are definitely above average! :supz:

I shall now demonstrate mine. I'm going to lean pretty heavily on the idea that you have a trip to somewhere exotic coming up within the next few weeks?!?

:popcorn: (w/ real butter not that "butter like substance" found in theaters)
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Seriously - and btw - that was some funny stuff...!!!

Anyway, has anyone tried these? I've seen similar products in the competitive swimming sections at a few stores and online, but I've never seen a diver wear these. I always assumed it was becuase they would be thin and lack thermal protection.

I can imagine these gloves would good for those of us who use a side stroke on the surface. (do they still teach that in OW classes?)

Edit: +1 for real butter.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh