LED vs HID

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
RSdancey
Avid Diver

LED vs HID

Post by RSdancey »

We're getting ready to replace the gear we had stolen last month and I am looking for some opinions.

We had HID lights which we liked quite a bit. However I want to consider an LED option for replacement.

Anyone have practical experience with both? How much less effective are the LEDs in local waters?
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: LED vs HID

Post by BillZ »

When I first started diving in the PNW I had a Light Cannon HID, after the bulb gave out I got UK eLED - Now I dive a GreenForce LED.

The LED's in my opinion at FAR better than the HID's.
- They are more energy efficient i.e the batteries last longer
- With the HID's they were either full power or they were off. The LEDs gradually lose power as the batteries drain.
- The light on the HID was very white where as the LED's are more natural
- The bulb on the HID's were super fragile where as the LED's can take more abuse

Just an FYI - If your looking for a pretty good light, consider a canister light from Dusty (on this board). I don't own one but went diving with Matt F a few weeks back and his $300 Dusty light kicked the snot out of my $1000 GreenForce.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

+1 on Dusty's LED.

Totally unbeatable for the money imo....not even funny.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

+2 on Dusty's Light. It's the most amazing light I've owned yet, and that includes one of the UK Light Cannon HID things like someone else mentioned. I own two of Dusty's Lights now, and as quick as I can afford it, I'm planning to get a third one for my daughter. You can't go wrong, he stands behind it 150%, and the price beats the pants off any comparable HID you can name. Contact him, you won't regret it.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I am another one to push a Dusty light. We have 2 and dive with 2 others that have them and all are very happy.

We also dive with some guys that have 21w HID lights. I am not going to lie, they are a bit brighter and seem to cut through the "murk" a bit better. The HID overall is a bit better but for the diving we do it is not ~$1000 better though........
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

IMHO the only reason to get HID over LED is that you love the adjustable focus that some HIDs have.

I DO love the adjustable focus on my Salvo HID, but man, I think I could get used to longer run times, brighter light, varying power levels, a smaller head and canister, etc etc.

I'm really interested in the HOG Morph can light, but I have a lot of outstanding questions about it that I can't get answers to... sadly the manufacturer has been unresponsive.

http://www.edge-gear.com/MORPH-1000-COR ... -P116.aspx
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

This subject comes up fairly often. The thing is that both HID and LED have been improving. LEDs have gotten brighter and more efficient, but still don't match the brighter (24 - 35 Watt) HIDs for penetrating the murk. Meanwhile HIDs have gotten more durable, and some are now re-strikable. Li-ion batteries are available to give three or more dives worth of burn time with 35 W bulbs.

So it depends on what you want to do.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

:popcorn:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

GearHead wrote:
So it depends on what you want to do.