drysuit info?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

drysuit info?

Post by Dusty2 »

Looking at suits and looking for info. The Whites fusion 1 has an attractive price but not sure how well it holds up. The Fusion Bullet Drysuit looks pretty nice but also pretty pricy. Also looking at the USIA ultra looks nice but pretty baggy. The DUI CNSE looks pretty good and comes well rated? Way to many choices and I have never done a shell type so time for info from my friends
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: drysuit info?

Post by Dusty2 »

Is anyone using the DUI CNSE? I am intrigued at what it offers in this price range.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

DUIs may be expensive, but they are bullet proof. I have a buddy with a 10 year old CF200 that has about 500 dives on it. Besides the obvious seals that he has had to replace, it has been good for him. I have had a CLX450 for almost a year now, and I am very pleased with both the suit and the service I have received from DUI.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Dusty, I put four years and 450 dives on my first Fusion. I had three leaks -- one when I put in the p-valve, and a small piece of fabric burned a pinhole near the valve. One was a tiny hole in my right upper arm that I fixed with Gorilla tape. And the third was a honking rip in the suit that I suffered when I fell off a dive boat in Florida, and any suit I was wearing would have torn in that accident. The zipper failed on the suit at about 450 dives, which I don't think is awful.

I am actually VERY impressed with the durability of the Fusion. And the back zip version is VERY well priced.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

LCF wrote:Dusty, I put four years and 450 dives on my first Fusion. I had three leaks -- one when I put in the p-valve, and a small piece of fabric burned a pinhole near the valve. One was a tiny hole in my right upper arm that I fixed with Gorilla tape. And the third was a honking rip in the suit that I suffered when I fell off a dive boat in Florida, and any suit I was wearing would have torn in that accident. The zipper failed on the suit at about 450 dives, which I don't think is awful.

I am actually VERY impressed with the durability of the Fusion. And the back zip version is VERY well priced.
Lynn, which Fusion are you talking about since there are now about 4 or 5 different models?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I had the original Fusion (front zip) Sport model. I can't remember if I bought the Tech skin for it or not. When I replaced it, I got the Tech skin for the new suit. (It's a long story about why it got replaced, and if you want to hear it, send me a PM -- but it doesn't reflect on the suit itself at all.) I have the Bullet skin, which I put about six dives on and took off and hung up. It seriously impacts the flexibility of the suit, makes it dry slower, and obligates a rather complicated rinsing procedure, and didn't add anything at all (except a beautiful red color).

If you buy the Sport and want pockets, you have to use something like X-shorts. The Tech skin has pockets, and they are adequate for most of the things you might want to carry in open water, but they are a PITA to put anything back into, because you can't feel the flaps very well with cold, gloved hands, and because the pockets are stretchy, they spring back to "small" once you take things out of them. The pockets are one of the two drawbacks of the suit, but they can be lived with.

Theother drawback is the footgear issue. The suit comes with these fabric socks, and you have to use some kind of rock boot or shoe over them, which I really dislike having to do, as once I have all my insulation and suit on, bending over and doing things to my feet isn't exactly easy.

But at $1400 for the standard Fusion Sport, and $999 for the back zip version, you get a suit that doesn't need a custom cut, which is EXTREMELY durable, very light, and dries quickly for an excellent price.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Dusty IMVHO you can apply most of Lynne's comments about durability of the 'bag' or 'drycore' to any Fusion. They are essentially all the same in that regard it seems.

The big difference's come in the zipper configuration and the choices of skins that you have with the 'self-donning' (and Lynn states, I'm not so sure yet that it really is 'self' donning as after 8 dive's in mine I still 'like' (i don't really NEED) help with getting the zipper started and finished.

I'm using the Thermal Fusion Undergarments and while I like them (even more than my Weezle) I don't like the way they put the zipper in the same place as the suit zipper (on the self donning suit). Stacking zippers is something we learned not to do like 750 billion years ago so I'm really not sure why they're trying to reinvent the wheel but??????

I've sold several in the last year or so, I've worked on dozens since they came out. The more I see and use them the more I really like them, I don't however believe it will work for me during the winter months... Thats HighTide Drysuit time for Waynne!...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

the big value of the Thermal Fusion, is it vents like a dream. But for warmth, I layer (UA Compression Layer, then Baselayer 5.0, then TF.

Plus I run a heated vest now. The thermal fusion isnt as warm as the Mk3, but the mk3 vents like a plugged toilet.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks guys. I think it's going to be a USIA techniflex. They are on sale this weekend and the UW sports tent sale with an undergarment and custom cut for $1485. That's a smokin deal on a highly rated suit complete and ready to dive.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

What no comments? Doesn't anyone dive a USIA suit? I'm ready to get out the plastic guys. Speak now or forever hold your peace. :popcorn:
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

My first drysuit was a USIA. At the time, I loved it. I put about 500 dives on it with only one leak at the very end (small hole in the leg). Now, I'm a DUI gal...and will be forever more. ;) The quality, durability, and above all the comfort is just so much better, in my opinion.
Jenn
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

enchantmentdivi wrote:My first drysuit was a USIA. At the time, I loved it. I put about 500 dives on it with only one leak at the very end (small hole in the leg). Now, I'm a DUI gal...and will be forever more. ;) The quality, durability, and above all the comfort is just so much better, in my opinion.
Thanks, this thread wouldn't have been complete without someone pitching DUI. :smt064
spatman
I've Got Gills

drysuit info?

Post by spatman »

USIA suits are a great value for the money. Still have my first suit (that I bought used) as my backup/loaner.

There are lots of people diving them. I think Tom Nic is still diving his.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

spatman wrote:USIA suits are a great value for the money. Still have my first suit (that I bought used) as my backup/loaner.

There are lots of people diving them. I think Tom Nic is still diving his.
And I have a new one that's yet to be wet....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Are you diving at all? Haven't heard much from you in a long time.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Hey Dusty. I am a Whites Fusion Bullet fan myself. Although I don't have the time in a drysuit that many here do I can honestly say that I took to my Bullet like a fish to water. Everything I had read prior to getting my Bullet prepared me for a re-learning curve on buoyancy and trim. Well... I can say that my buoyancy/trim are much better than when I was diving my wetsuit right out of the gate. Without having any other suit to compare to I can't say I "like" the Bullet better but I can say I love my Bullet and I am glad I went with it.
I read many posts on drysuits and finally pulled the trigger on the Bullet and I can't say that I feel I will ever regret it. The Bullet is definitely not a light weight suit but for me it very fluid. After my last dive a bunch of us were sitting around the picnic table taking a break. I stayed in my Bullet the hole time and was very comfortable. One thing that will possibly come up is the sag factor when you are moving around with the suit half way down. I kept my weight belt on (with 16 lbs of weight in it) and it kept my suit right where I wanted it to be while I was moving around. For my future dives I have moved into a BP&W and will be trying out the DUI weight harness so at that point I will be wearing a belt that was used for hard weights anytime I am on a surface interval.
Lynne mentioned putting on the rock boots being an issue. For me, I get halfway into my Bullet and then slip into my EvoIII's, which I also love by the way. Again, with nothing to compare them to, they are very comfortable to walk in and wear during the dive. I fish and wear waders and used that as a comparison for whether I wanted lace up boots or boots that were part of the suit. I hate loose fitting shoes/boots so that is why I went with the EvoIII's but that would have been the case regardless of which suit I bought.
As for the undergarments. I went with the Thermal Fusion but have not had the need to wear it at this point. Danee and I are diving Clear Lake on the 10th and are planning on using the TF for that set of dives. So, far all I have worn is a pair of Under Armour and have been quite warm, same with Danee although we just got our Whites in May/June. Those things are like crawling into a soft and comfy blanket on a cold night. Danee was just fell in love with the TF at the Tacoma Dive Expo. Lynne talked to us up there and was a great help in making our decision to buy Whites. Thanks Lynne!!!

Regardless of which suit you get, I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my Bullet. I really like diving dry.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks LD Nice review. The fusion tech was my 2nd choice but the deal on the USIA pretty much sealed the deal.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

You're welcome Dusty...like I said, I hope you enjoy whatever you end up buying. In the end, the important thing is that you enjoy the suit and get in the water.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Well, Good or bad my new suit is ordered and the wait begins. This is the tough part of the game. Most of us can't simply walk in, pull a suit off the rack and walk out with a good fitting suit and after dropping all those scuba units all we can do wait for the magicians to create what we hope will be the perfect suit for us. :pacing:
McGlencoe
Dive-aholic

Post by McGlencoe »

Are you having LoJack installed on the new suit? :eek:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

McGlencoe wrote:Are you having LoJack installed on the new suit? :eek:
I was thinking more like a pet scorpion to store in the boots? :eek: