Long hose question.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Long hose question.

Post by Linedog »

Not wanting to hijack a different thread I have a question. I get the idea of donating your primary reg and going to your bungie backup. I have a Seacure mouth piece on my reg, is that something that should be changed or will it even present an issue in a high stress situation?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Long hose question.

Post by Nwcid »

I have read several discussions on that one. The major thing that seems to come up is the length of that mouth piece. I know we just did the rebreather demo day a while back and many of them had the seacure on them. It was no trouble for me, but I am a big guy.

Sounds like the most common thing to do is trim the length down a bit. Sounds like it still gives a nice fit and wont choke who you are donating to.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I used to have a longer more flexible comfort bite mouth piece on my primary a long time ago and opted to change it.

The issue was highlighted after I donated gas to a student that had a free-flowing regulator, she had a hard time getting the mouthpiece in her mouth with a tight fitting hood and soft/long/flexible mouthpiece combo.

seacure mouth pieces are molded for your mouth, so it might be somewhat uncomfortable, but will probably be ok.

I would suggest you do a couple of out-of-air drills with your buddy and let him/her evaluate it.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
winte.r
Avid Diver

Post by winte.r »

I have no qualms about hijacking, what about a tank mounted pony, what do you do w/the 3rd reg? I'm guessing the consensus is to just sling it instead?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

winte.r wrote:I have no qualms about hijacking, what about a tank mounted pony, what do you do w/the 3rd reg? I'm guessing the consensus is to just sling it instead?
That'd be my suggestion, yes. There are a few threads running about in the not too distant past regarding this very topic.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

winte.r wrote:I have no qualms about hijacking, what about a tank mounted pony, what do you do w/the 3rd reg? I'm guessing the consensus is to just sling it instead?
Sling it where you can see it, check the pressure, manipulate the valve, and deploy the reg.
Slinging it (2 bolt snaps and some cord) is also much cheaper than a ~$100 bracket too!

A modestly attentive buddy with a long hose is much more useful than a long hose. They can untangle you from fishing line, donate gas, fix loose tank straps, etc...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
Sling it where you can see it, check the pressure, manipulate the valve, and deploy the reg.
Slinging it (2 bolt snaps and some cord) is also much cheaper than a ~$100 bracket too!

A modestly attentive buddy with a long hose is much more useful than a long hose a pony. They can untangle you from fishing line, donate gas, fix loose tank straps, etc...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LOL what jake said :p
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
oregondiver
Submariner

Post by oregondiver »

Very good question...my seacure mouth piece has been sitting on the counter so I could remember to ask this q before mounting it. Double thanks for the replies folks!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924