go pro question

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

go pro question

Post by Alaska-Herb »

ok the go pros are on sale this month and I am thinking about grabbing one. My question is go for the silver or the black. I don't think I need the wifi remote that is standard with the black and the last review I read said go for the silver.

What do you all think?

Thanks for your insight
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: go pro question

Post by Linedog »

From what I understand the silver is equivalent to the hero 2. The black has more functilns that I didnt need.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

You'll find a lot of replies to this on Scuba board - but the big deal for me going to the black was the low-light performance bump. I'm no photog, so i can't speak to the reasons why, but the black has the better low light performance, which for puget sound diving is almost a must.

I have found though, that the low light performance isn't great without a nice video light to go with... I'd say whatever model you get, plan on investing in a video light to go with. Linedog has the new Hog Morph with the video head, and I'm looking at it as well as a couple others...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

by the black.. or wait till the 4 comes out in Nov ..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

[quote="thefeve"

I have found though, that the low light performance isn't great without a nice video light to go with... I'd say whatever model you get, plan on investing in a video light to go with. Linedog has the new Hog Morph with the video head, and I'm looking at it as well as a couple others...[/quote]

Ok thanks guys this was what I was looking for. I heard the black had better low light performance but I did not bring it up because I was waiting to see if it was a big enough deal to make others bring it up .

I have the light situation taken care of as I already bought the hog morph with a video head . I liked so well I bought another one last week which just came to match the arms and mount so I'm all set. When I go for the go pro all I will need is to order a smaller tray and handle set.

So the order for a black will have to be made tomorrow

Again thanks btw I tossed this out here rather than scuba board simply because your water is almost identical to my alaska water so I figured I would get more accurate opinions for our green water

Herb
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I also use the PolarPro magenta filter, makes a big difference.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Hero3 Black is new with much greater resolution, much higher frame rate and improved low light ability.

the hero3 silver is just a new form factor Hero2 equivalent (same resolution, frame rate, etc.)

If budget allows, for sure go with a Hero3 Black
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White