Naked SPG.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Naked SPG.

Post by Linedog »

I'm ditching my console and going to just a SPG on a boltsnap. Do you recomend a rubber boot or are they robust enough without one?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Naked SPG.

Post by Jeremy »

No boot imo
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Boots are just for show unless yours is cheap plastic. The good metal ones don't need a boot.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Thanks guys, I'm looking at a Diverite. I see there are 2 kinds of spools, how do I know what one I need?
Pop tarts and gravy,
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Linedog wrote:Thanks guys, I'm looking at a Diverite. I see there are 2 kinds of spools, how do I know what one I need?
The "spool" in the SPG, the part which goes between between the SPG and the hose fitting? Those are universal.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Linedog wrote:I'm ditching my console and going to just a SPG on a boltsnap. Do you recomend a rubber boot or are they robust enough without one?
The rubber boots just retain saltwater and cause corrosion, in my experience- I usually cut them off.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Cap'n, I hear there are long, short and one with a damn flange?
Pop tarts and gravy,
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Linedog wrote:Cap'n, I hear there are long, short and one with a damn flange?
They all seem to work interchangibly with mine. I probably have 15 different SPGs and I have never worried about spool type. They all take a 010 oring and work fine.

Just by a DR one if you're concerned.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Thanks, I'll get one with the SPG.
Pop tarts and gravy,
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

2.25" brass+glass 'naked' SPG for backgas, avoid black face...
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

The spools usually come with the SPG. And I agree with Josh on the water trapping and corrosion breeding boots.

Also, put a little dab of O2 compatible lube on the spool's o-rings. they are prone to leaking after a while if o-ring is dry.

Dont really matter which brand, as almost all SPG's come from the same factory in Italy.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Why aren't you just pushing the one in the console out and using that?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

It's part of a molded plastic Oceanic console setup.
Pop tarts and gravy,
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Linedog wrote:It's part of a molded plastic Oceanic console setup.
like this? https://www.primescuba.com/essential-eq ... Qgod9hUARw

Most of them can be popped out, but I've not seen your setup.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Ya just like that, I was going to keep it together as a back up.
Pop tarts and gravy,
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Pardon the dumb question but what is the "spool"? I have not heard of a spool in connection with an SPG yet.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LowDrag wrote:Pardon the dumb question but what is the "spool"? I have not heard of a spool in connection with an SPG yet.
Its a tiny metal tube with 2 tiny orings on it. Goes in between the SPG and the HP hose to allow the SPG to swivel. Looks roughly like this:
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Interesting. I have a ScubaPro SPG that I bought used not too long ago because I am moving out of my console also. It swivels where the hose enters what feels like a metal case. I don't see anyway of removing it so that I can lube the o-rings though. Her is a pic I took of it so you can see what I have.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Warm up the plastic/rubber boot and pop out the SPG to access the Oring at the swivel. Hot water will soften the boot material.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

That is so funny. I thought it was metal until I read your reply and tried to push the edge of the cover and it IS plastic. Thanks Jack. So back to original topic. I need to pull the boot off and lube the o-rings every once is a while right? So how do you get the spool off?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LowDrag wrote:That is so funny. I thought it was metal until I read your reply and tried to push the edge of the cover and it IS plastic. Thanks Jack. So back to original topic. I need to pull the boot off and lube the o-rings every once is a while right? So how do you get the spool off?
Replacing and lubing those tiny orings should be done by whomever is servicing your reg.

If for whatever reason you want to do it yourself:
Heat up and peel back the boot
Slide it up the HP hose
Take 2 wrenchs and loosen the SPG from the HP hose
You'll see the spool inside one side or another of the fitting. Mine usually get stuck in the spg side.
Hook a fingernail in the oring groove, pliers will scratch up the spool and make the swivel leak.
If a fingernail won't get it out, and you must use pliers you'll need to replace the spool to reassemble.

Size 010 Orings fit all known SPG swivels - because almost all SPGs are made in the same Italian factory with slightly different face plates for different branding. Lube very sparingly, far less than a pencil eraser size will do both ends of the spool.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Got it. Thanks for the clarification Jack. Have a great day!!!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

and be patient, those little 010 o rings are a SOB to get back on if you are replacing them... especially the Viton ones.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I'd probably just forego the plastic boot.. will make it much easier for you to service in future and will also immediately show leaks..

Field servicing takes 2minutes to replace the spool before a dive, vs. a long ass time heating up with water, prying off boot, etc. etc..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White