Rinsing gear.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Rinsing gear.

Post by CaptnJack »

I think if you are just opening the lower drain valve the supply line will refill the water heater from the top as you drain off 20 gallons from the bottom. Although I am not a plumber and don't play one on TV...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:I think if you are just opening the lower drain valve the supply line will refill the water heater from the top as you drain off 20 gallons from the bottom. Although I am not a plumber and don't play one on TV...
Yep. As long as you don't turn the valve off. The potential for serious damage happens when you drain the tank. If you don't fill it up before you turn it on, you could be conducting an unplanned test of your temperature and pressure relief valve....and a lot of those aren't installed to code.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

thus why my 100w aquarium heater is much cheaper than the 4kw heater in hot water tank... Don't really need 130d+ hot water for my dive gear.

Although in thinking about it, I should spray insulate the sides of my dunk tank....
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

Joshua Smith wrote: Yep. As long as you don't turn the valve off. The potential for serious damage happens when you drain the tank. If you don't fill it up before you turn it on, you could be conducting an unplanned test of your temperature and pressure relief valve....and a lot of those aren't installed to code.
Yup...one of the things I also did was fix the install... there was no expansion tank, amongst other things... how some things passed inspection the first time around, I will never know.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

camerone wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote: Yep. As long as you don't turn the valve off. The potential for serious damage happens when you drain the tank. If you don't fill it up before you turn it on, you could be conducting an unplanned test of your temperature and pressure relief valve....and a lot of those aren't installed to code.
Yup...one of the things I also did was fix the install... there was no expansion tank, amongst other things... how some things passed inspection the first time around, I will never know.

"inspection" :rofl:

Yeah. Home inspectors are usually highly qualified individuals whose knowledge of the building trades is encyclopedic. OR, someone dropped $85 on a business license, and wrote "home inspection" in the blank space where they ask what you're going to do. That's pretty much all it takes.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Joshua Smith wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I think if you are just opening the lower drain valve the supply line will refill the water heater from the top as you drain off 20 gallons from the bottom. Although I am not a plumber and don't play one on TV...
Yep. As long as you don't turn the valve off. The potential for serious damage happens when you drain the tank. If you don't fill it up before you turn it on, you could be conducting an unplanned test of your temperature and pressure relief valve....and a lot of those aren't installed to code.
If the tank is electric you won't test your relief valve if you start it up low. The elements will burn out faster than seems possible.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

phpBB [video]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

H20doctor wrote:
phpBB [video]
Yep, fill it with water, bypass the thermostats and over temp and power it up, its a bomb. Drop the water level below the top element on an unmodified one and the top element burns and that is it. Power never goes to the bottom element if the top of the tank doesn't reach temperature.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

http://brainerddispatch.com/stories/072 ... 0011.shtml

just sayin'. Its not something to attempt unless you have some basic knowledge of plumbing, physics, pressure, temperature, etc.

LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

CaptnJack wrote:
camerone wrote:Are there really no chemists here to fix the misinformation in this thread?
Sadly no lol

I'm surprised your hot water tank isn't full of rust and scale like mine ;)

SIDE NOTE: Drain it while you still can, mine just burst and I had to siphon the water out of the top to empty it because it was so full of sludge that I could not drain it from the lower nozzle.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic... :)

We rinse our stuff in the shower or on the deck in the summer and we dive in a fresh water lake to get a really good fresh water rinse.

Note: after the story above I changed it to burst which is probably a far better description... :eek:
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

You guys rinse your gear? How quaint.