Camera Upgrade

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Camera Upgrade

Post by Nwcid »

I have been using a Nikon D70 in an Aquatica housing with an 8" dome port. It has dual DS-50 strobes on Ikelite 6"x5" arms with a dual sync cable. I have been using Nikon 10.5mm and 60mm lenses.

I just bought a pair of YS-250 strobes with accessories the other day. Tonight I made a deal on an Aquatica D90 housing and sync cables for the YS-250's.

Now comes the questions because I need need a port/ports and strobe arms.

For dome do I want/need a 6" (~$450) or an 8" (~$650)? I am happy with my 8" but for $200 difference do I really need it? WIll my macro fit in a 6" port until I get a macro port?

For strobe arms it looks like 5" x 8" arms seem to be the most popular out there. I have been reading until I am more confused then I started. Is there a better set up and why? The next question comes to weight. The unit I have now is slightly negative, but I have no idea how the new system will compare. Should going with light weight arms like the ULCS be enough or will I probably need some that are actually positive like the hollow aluminum one? I know I need to put it in the water and weigh it but hard to do without the unit here.

I would like to sell/part out the D70 set up and trying to find the best way to do it. If I am not mistaken I should be able to take the port off the D70 and use it on the new housing. The only thing that worries me about that is I am not sure a lot of people are looking for D70 housings with no ports. I know I should be able to sell the strobes, cable and arms no problem. I had thought about using the arms for the new set up but I need different mounts for the new strobes so in the long run would be more effective to sell the old and buy new.

Any thoughts on any of this would be great.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
deep diver
Pelagic

Re: Camera Upgrade

Post by deep diver »

If you go to Aquatica.com they have a port/lens chart that shows what lenses will fit in each port
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Camera Upgrade

Post by Nwcid »

It was not so much a question of what one fits because they all do. The question is what is better and why?
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/