Dry Gloves

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Dry Gloves

Post by girldiver »

Ok...for the first time in 6 or 7 years...I'm going back to dry gloves this year.

I wanted Diving Concepts...but apparently they went bankrupt? So...hoping someone in the community can point me towards the "Diving Concepts" type glove. They are the push on glove system...not the turn the ring system.

Anyone know who's got these? Not sure I'll bring them into the shop just yet...but DO want a pair for me to go into the water. My hands are already cold just thinking about my 6 hour day today with students in-water....

Thanks in advance for the help!
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Dry Gloves

Post by LCF »

SiTech's Quick Glove system is a push-on. I have them on my Fusions. You have to be very careful not to pinch the o-ring during the installation of the gloves, but otherwise, they seem to work okay. Use equalization tubes, because if you get Michelin man hands at the end of the dive, the glove will pop off.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

OS Systems. I've been diving these for about 10 years: http://www.scubacenter.com/scubacenter_ ... Gloves.htm
Jenn
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

girldiver wrote:Ok...for the first time in 6 or 7 years...I'm going back to dry gloves this year.

I wanted Diving Concepts...but apparently they went bankrupt? So...hoping someone in the community can point me towards the "Diving Concepts" type glove. They are the push on glove system...not the turn the ring system.

Anyone know who's got these? Not sure I'll bring them into the shop just yet...but DO want a pair for me to go into the water. My hands are already cold just thinking about my 6 hour day today with students in-water....

Thanks in advance for the help!
Dans Dive Shop in Canada. They still have the DC gloves. Just bought a set. They probably only have large gloves, and they only sell them as a set with gloves mounted. You can get the right size at Seattle Marine for about 15 bucks.

http://www.dansdiveshop.ca/

Andrew G has an interesting aluminum version made in Japan I think. You can check them out at the UTD web site. I have no experience with them.

Good Diving,
Jerry
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I use the DC dry glove system and I love it. I have 2 sets, the second set I bought a long time ago from Ebay for a crazy cheap price. As what Jerry said, you can buy the lined gloves at Seattle Marine. As a matter of fact, I bought extra blue and black pairs about 6 months ago. The secret to easy donning and doffing of the glove system is wiping a little bit of silicone grease every now and then, never letting the o-rings get dry. When you do that, you're good to go, it's a world of difference, so easy. There's a lot of dry glove systems in the market, and I'm sure, as an instructor and dive shop owner yourself, you have researched quite a lot about this. Hopefully, you will find one that best fits your needs with the pros and cons weighed in. Some folks prefer the glove liner to be separate from the gloves (for the reason that, if the glove leaks, they can invert the unlined glove inside out and just dry it out and swap liners). Some prefer it to be an all in one piece like me. It's true, once the lined glove is wet, it's so hard to invert it inside out. There are many ways to dry it out, but it definitely leaves a little bit of a smell. Find the cause of your leak immediately, whether it's your suit or glove. Your choice.

You probably already know that putting the glove in the DC dry glove ring system is a PITA. Well, it used to be for me, until I made an expanding tool to do it.

Just putting my 2 cents.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Thanks guys! Helpful info.

And the lined gloves...yeah...had mine get wet a couple times...and then had Rick from Bandito offer to take them to the wheelhouse to dry them out. I knew it was going to be bad...but wow...must have totally smelled him out of there!!

I'll check out the SiTech and OS...and then, if needed, hit Dan's up...and then replace the gloves, as suggested.

My happy hands will thank you!
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

LCF wrote:SiTech's Quick Glove system is a push-on. I have them on my Fusions. You have to be very careful not to pinch the o-ring during the installation of the gloves, but otherwise, they seem to work okay. Use equalization tubes, because if you get Michelin man hands at the end of the dive, the glove will pop off.
From Grainger, you can get some better o Rings, and the big trick is once on, unscrew 1/2 turn, and reseat.

Never had a leak since doing both.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

coulterboy wrote:
You probably already know that putting the glove in the DC dry glove ring system is a PITA. Well, it used to be for me, until I made an expanding tool to do it.
I use the DC system as well with cheap HomeDepot/Atlas gloves. They are actually very easy to swap out with proper tools. I use a couple of simple 1" spring clamps to keep the glove on the ring as I stretch it on. I can swap a glove in just a minute or two. I keep a few spares for myself and wife in the save a dive kit.
Dave
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jeff Pack wrote:
LCF wrote:SiTech's Quick Glove system is a push-on. I have them on my Fusions. You have to be very careful not to pinch the o-ring during the installation of the gloves, but otherwise, they seem to work okay. Use equalization tubes, because if you get Michelin man hands at the end of the dive, the glove will pop off.
From Grainger, you can get some better o Rings, and the big trick is once on, unscrew 1/2 turn, and reseat.

Got a link or part number for those orings?
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Jeff Pack wrote:

Hey Jeff,

I am missing something here...why does backing off the ring and reseating it make a better seal? I still have not used my dry gloves yet (SiTech gloves) because they are a PITA to get on. I would use them more if they were easier to use...I almost regret buying them.

Thanks,
Dave
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Because few people can push those things on straight, and with the different o rings, even abit harder. Unscrewing 1/2 turn, and reset straightens out the o ring. Of course I also throw some silicon grease on the o rings for every dive.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Jeff Pack wrote:Because few people can push those things on straight, and with the different o rings, even abit harder. Unscrewing 1/2 turn, and reset straightens out the o ring. Of course I also throw some silicon grease on the o rings for every dive.

Gotcha...I will try that this weekend.

Thanks