Keep it simple.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Keep it simple.

Post by Linedog »

The more I dive the more I want to keep things simple. I have ditched my wizz bang AI deluxe all knowing, all telling, alarm sounding, toast making computer for a brass n glass SPG. I have it zip tied to a bolt snap, is there any advantage to tie it on with cave string? I'm really bad at knots so I use zips for most things.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Re: Keep it simple.

Post by KneeDeep »

I had zipties... ok for a bit... but still can break/loosen up.

Try this
http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

I live by the KISS Principle. Being in the systems engineering field it is the only way to be. I try to do the same thing diving....keep it simple.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Zipties fatigue when exposed to sunlight and temperature extremes, and they are not tolerant of twisting at all. But if you don't mind keeping spare zipties in your Save-a-Dive kit and replacing as needed, it's not a big deal.

In applications where one can't afford something getting loose and causing trouble (like cave diving) we don't use zipties, because they aren't reliable enough. But those concerns are much less in simple open water diving.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Depends on what kind of zip ties you are talking about. The ones you pick up at Fred's can troublesome. On the other hand heavy duty zip ties from a hardware or specialty store are pretty immune to most any insult including abrasion. No knot tying to add weight and bulk and a fraying potential. There is even a neat tool that tightens and trims them, if you want.

Amazing the really important places those little buggers are used.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I am able to use Panduit brand zipties. Pretty much immune to everything including UV. We use them at the phone company pretty much for everything.
Pop tarts and gravy,
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Normally the ends of tied (SPG and other) knots are smashed with a hot lighter or something to keep them from fraying and hold everything in place. If that's still not enough, you can put a dab of super glue on your knots - they will outlast the line then.

Zip ties are ok, but in addition to breakage, the ends/edges can poke or wear holes in some things like drygloves (or skin) over time.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

I use cave lines on mine too. But, I have seen a few divers that use "zipper string pullers", and they come in very handy attaching bolt snaps to spg's, backup lights, etc... I might buy a few and try them myself next time. Very easy to put on from what I've seen, and no hassle trying to tie that damn DIR knot. Actually, that knot is not very hard to tie.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I had my SPG tie break the very next dive after having my regs serviced. Went cave line, burned and pressed the knot like cap said, never would consider a zip tie again if I could help it.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

CaptnJack wrote:Normally the ends of tied (SPG and other) knots are smashed with a hot lighter or something to keep them from fraying and hold everything in place. If that's still not enough, you can put a dab of super glue on your knots - they will outlast the line then.

Zip ties are ok, but in addition to breakage, the ends/edges can poke or wear holes in some things like drygloves (or skin) over time.

Not dissing line. It works.

But commercial grade zip ties are so easy, convenient and reliable they can't be ignored. No glue, heat, or fussing, just use.

Properly installed there are no tag ends to poke or rub anything. Cutters or a zip tool makes that a 5 second task.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

seattlepaul1975 wrote:I live by the KISS Principle. Being in the systems engineering field it is the only way to be. I try to do the same thing diving....keep it simple.

What's the extra S for? :)
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Keep it simple stupid, sorry.
Pop tarts and gravy,
Jimothy
Avid Diver

Post by Jimothy »

I've used cable ties in the past for a quick fix, and although I keep them in my bag of spares, I also carry a length of 550 cord and a lighter for a more permanent solution.

For those needing visual assistance with knot tying: http://www.animatedknots.com/
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

550 para cord is way too bulky. A better cord is Mason Line which can be found at most hardware stores. The braided variety is similar to cave line, but less expensive. It's perfect for tying bolt snaps onto SPGs and backup lights.