Cheap started point and shoot camera?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Cheap started point and shoot camera?

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Hey I am looking to see if anyone has an used inexpensive point and shoot underwater camera they would be willing to part with. I am hoping to find an inexpensive used unit I can start playing around with taking pictures. Anyone?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Cheap started point and shoot camera?

Post by Dusty2 »

Do you have a smart phone? there are cases for some of them now and some of those phones do a pretty amazing job. Photos and video too!
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Hey Dusty that is a good idea. I will check mine. I have the Samsung Galaxy S4. Thanks for the tip....
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

just use Colls camera
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Goodt_godiving
Aquaphile

Post by Goodt_godiving »

Haha that's an idea! Poor Coll to lose his camera to his wife so soon after getting it!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Goodt_godiving wrote:...Poor Coll to lose his camera to his wife so soon after getting it!
Like that would happen.

Wait... maybe it will... but after a D7000 housing.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

The problem with using a Smart phone as your UW camera is what happens if it floods. Replacing your Smart phone might be more painful than buying a couple point and shoot cameras on the used market.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

looked into this... but thought about that that also. Using a smart phone isn't a reasonable option.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I have a Canon A620 and the Canon UW housing that goes with it. The housing has never been in the water. The A620 hasn't been used for quite some time (I've been a bit busy with other things.) Also, have a carrying case and an underwater flash. The flash has never been wet.

I'm not going to give them away. But, I will be reasonable, very reasonable. So, do some research on them.

If you are interested PM me. We can exchange images and settle on a price.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

A problem with "cheap point and shoot" cameras is that you may end up not really liking the images at all and thus deciding that taking pictures isn't worth it.

Instead of looking for a "cheap" camera -- I'd suggest looking for a good bargain/value and I'd start with the reviews from Backscatter (one of the premier underwater photography stores in the US):

http://www.backscatter.com/learn/articl ... .php?ID=57
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I used a canon A640 for along time, and got amazing pictures, norris has my old set up, so you can get good shots on a point and shoot.. it's all in the user, not the camera
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

My Olympus C5060 and housing is available. You would have to get a strobe tho. Took many good shots with it.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

H20doctor wrote:I used a canon A640 for along time, and got amazing pictures, norris has my old set up, so you can get good shots on a point and shoot.. it's all in the user, not the camera

Yes, indeed. The 620/640 etc are excellent cameras to learn with. Plus, they are good enough to tke some excellent images.

Frankly, whatever you get make sure it is capable of good images. Otherwise you won't know whether it is you or the camera. Not being able to blame the tool is valuable in the learning process.

Net cost after resale, if you do that, is pretty manageable.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Do you already own a point and shoot camera? If so, wouldn't it be 'cheaper' to just get a housing?
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i thought i would share with you that you dont need a big fancy camera to start out with... Last night on Ebay I scored 2 cameras for under 80.00 with housings ... Both Cameras are new, and so are the Housings.... Take a look

the first camera I got was the canon powershot S410 digital elp..4 Mega Pickle
$_12.JPG
New in the box 40.00

Next i got the housing the WP DC800 New in the box for 18.00 + 9.00 for shipping
$_57.JPG
Then I scored this combo Deal I got the housing and the camera !!! For 45.00 With FREE shipping :taco: :taco:
$_12 (1).JPG
$_12 (2).JPG
so if you want to get into taking pictures, and start learning this fun new exciting hobby... then look for these deals because they are out there... One of the things to look for is old stock of canon , cameras in the 5 to 8 mega pickle range.. i went onto the canon web site and looked for housings that were made 4 to 6 years ago .... or you can start with something maybe newer? like last year.... then start your hunt... you will find a deal ...
the thing to remember on canon camera Housings , the need to be rinsed after every dive and soaked good..... Oring care is very important, my first Point and shoot lasted me like 5 years with no issues.. So if you see something on ebay make sure to ask them where the housing was dove and how they cared for it...