re-breathers

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: re-breathers

Post by Joshua Smith »

RenaB wrote:So that when you are down nice and deep, when the rebreather fails (without any warning) you die. No thanks. Deep isn't for me anyway. And breathing without bubbles seems wrong.
Yep. You've got it all figured out.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Granted I have a very limited knowledge of rebreather diving but if I understand it, but don't most if not all rebreather divers carry bail out bottles?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

RenaB wrote:Didn't mean to cause an issue by saying that, but I also haven't dove long/at all. Not ever plane that fails causes everyone on board to die either. I actually don't know much about rebreathing, but the way I have understood the argument against is that everything is fine until it isn't anymore, then without warning you die. So I am not really interested when nitrox seems to aleaviate some of the same deco requirement without the danger?

Moist air would be nice. The dehydration, as I have argued before, does cause an increase danger is DCS.

When I said I am really not interested in deep, it's because I am really not interested. I will say that I don't like deep so much that when an instructor stated that I should take the advanced class right after the open water class, that I took a pause because there is a deep dive requirement for that. Now, I am really hoping that once I get very comfortable at no deeper than 60 feet (that's what I think I will be comfortable at), I hope I change my mind. Because it looks interesting, and scary and uncomfortable for me.

So my question for the rebreather is this, do you get that much more time without deco requirements as nitrox? And how? I know I should just go pull up some information on the internet, but I figured you guys could help. There is a balance between nitrogen and oxygen. You decrease the nitrogen in the mix you have less nitrogen ingassing. Which makes sense, but I am not sure if they go over this in class, I am sure they do, but you add oxygen and at pressure that's actually more dangerous. So with a rebreather how are you overcoming this fact? Honest question. Basically is it really worth the money over nitrox? That's my question.

Thanks for the attempt to compare this to flying, but just didn't resonate. I always say to each his own. I am not knocking anyone for wanting to use one. Just wondering what the bonus is.
Sigh. Ok. Short version- a ccr is a gas blending station you wear on your back. It essentially delivers an optimal blend of nitrox (or, 02 and trimix) AT EVERY DEPTH. Open circuit can only give you an optimal mix at MOD. So- much longer NDLs, especially in the 100-180' range. CCRs also recycle your exhaled gasses and are much more efficient than OC, especially for dives in the 200' and deeper range.
You can accept this simplified explanation, or not. Yes, there are plenty of people diving them just because they want to, not because they really need one.

Oh- they don't just fail with no warning. At least, not if you're paying attention. And we all carry completely independent bail out systems.

That said, I have wasted a considerable amount of time and effort on this site and others explaining and defending ccrs, and I'm sick to death of it. You don't like them? Don't buy one. But please don't try to tell me I'm doing something wrong.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

RenaB wrote:So my question for the rebreather is this, do you get that much more time without deco requirements as nitrox? And how?
Hi

A rebreather creates the ideal blend of nitrox for whatever depth you're at. So, yes, it does make a big difference for dives which aren't square profiles or at the bottom depth for which pre-mixed nitrox is optimized for. You can be close to deco at 90', then head up to 70' and have plenty of time back.
RenaB wrote:you add oxygen and at pressure that's actually more dangerous. So with a rebreather how are you overcoming this fact? Honest question.
Yes, it can be dangerous because the mixing might not happen correctly, leading to too much or too little o2. You must monitor the amount of o2 in the loop, and have working o2 sensor cells.

Hope that helps!
-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Haha. Man, just what this site needed.... A little livening up.

Josh, I'm surprised you took the time to type out a response.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

To the OP, did you ask the 2 guys why they choose to dive them?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

pensacoladiver wrote:Haha. Man, just what this site needed.... A little livening up.

Me, too.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

pensacoladiver wrote:To the OP, did you ask the 2 guys why they choose to dive them?
They didn't "choose" to dive them. They were forced to by random people on the internets!!

:pirate:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Josh is definitely doing it for the chicks - he really likes it when Spatty and Norris start giggling about how dreamy he looks when he puts his on.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

I'm still waiting for the chicks :joshsmith: . Must happen later. :rawlings:
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Penopolypants wrote:Josh is definitely doing it for the chicks - he really likes it when Spatty and Norris start giggling about how dreamy he looks when he puts his on.
I mean, have you SEEN him in that thing???

hubba hubba
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Pros and Cons of Rebreathers.

Pro's
- warm moist air
- Look bad ass
- optimum PPO at any time.
- deeper dives without the headache of looking like a tank farm.
- Less gas usage.
- Less weight to carry (tec diving)
- impress other divers with your obvious financial status
- Quiet underwater. Fishies tend to treat you just like a big fish.
- Have your own bail out with you.
- Up to 4 hour dives (longer with a bigger scrubber)

Cons:
- Initial expense and training
- Listening to other divers parrot the old "a rebreather is gonna kill you" statements without any real knowledge of the subject.
- Being asked "what is it?" by passers by
- It WILL try and kill you, and probably at the least most opportune time.
- Learning to buy things with "rebreather dollars", which are more expensive than scuba dollars.
- Long setup and tear down times.
- Longer time to gear up.
- Not fun for saw tooth profiles.
- Chicks wont really dig you, in fact, they dont care.
- A smaller bank account.
- the desire to go deeper. Who really is behind the curtain?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Norris wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:Josh is definitely doing it for the chicks - he really likes it when Spatty and Norris start giggling about how dreamy he looks when he puts his on.
I mean, have you SEEN him in that thing???

hubba hubba
Brown chicken brown cow.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

If you factor in open circuit tank fill time, my set up time for a rebreather dive is MUCH less than open circuit.
It's DUE!
Frequent Bubbler

Post by It's DUE! »

I think there is merit to what the OP is saying. It is all about the right tool for the job... and many people dive rebreathers when they don't have any good reason for it... other than male compensation

For clarification... most technical dives in the 0-200 range have NO need for a breather. And if you say its about cost, I find it hard to believe that the initial cost of a breather will be save you many $$$ compared to OC.

And don't even get me started on the people who skip the entire process of learning the proper way to dive before jumping in to CCR... (not that this doesn't happen with technical diving in general)
banjofish
Just Settling In

Post by banjofish »

Finally someone got the point of my original post. Thank you Mr due...I' m only talking about recreational divers and seem to have hurt some feelings. For that Im sorry..I just believe the simplier things are the safer they are. And safety should be number one for recreational divers. Ive seen too many people who think they are far better in the water than they are...And some are not with us today.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

phpBB [video]
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Yelloweye wins thread imo....
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

It's DUE! wrote:I think there is merit to what the OP is saying. It is all about the right tool for the job... and many people dive rebreathers when they don't have any good reason for it... other than male compensation

For clarification... most technical dives in the 0-200 range have NO need for a breather. And if you say its about cost, I find it hard to believe that the initial cost of a breather will be save you many $$$ compared to OC.

And don't even get me started on the people who skip the entire process of learning the proper way to dive before jumping in to CCR... (not that this doesn't happen with technical diving in general)
I'll bite. I skipped OC trimix and bought a Meg. Go ahead and tell me what I did wrong.

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

The bs is so deep now it smells like an army of dead moles has camped out here.

RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

Joshua Smith wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:Haha. Man, just what this site needed.... A little livening up.

Me, too.

Yeah wish you didn't waste your time, actually. No one implied you were doing anything wrong, but I will say you sound like an ass. If your interest was to take everything personally, didn't know he saw you at the site and implied you were doing something wrong. I certainly did not.

I feel that from my understanding both of this post and conversations I have had with others, that it's not for me. That's what I was saying. Didn't know this was about you.
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

RenaB wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Me, too.

Yeah wish you didn't waste your time, actually. No one implied you were doing anything wrong, but I will say you sound like an ass. If your interest was to take everything personally, didn't know he saw you at the site and implied you were doing something wrong. I certainly did not.

I feel that from my understanding both of this post and conversations I have had with others, that it's not for me. That's what I was saying. Didn't know this was about you.
Good deal. Thanks for pointing out my shortcoming in the personality department.

RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

No problem! Always here to help a brother out. Actually, I don't have any idea about your personality. First impression so far, not great. I am up for changing that position. :tomnic:
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Wow, nothing like a newbie telling an OG to stfu. And who was it that was saying this place is boring?